Minnie Van pricing change is in effect: $42 from Pop to MK

Yep, I see that occasionally at certain types of venues -- usually geographically-large places like airports.

There is one generic "street address" for something big like MCO or MK, and that theoretical street address may or not make sense to the GPS. Where I get it pretty often is at both MIA and FLL airports. Instead of directing me to the terminals, the GPS sometimes tried to route me to the geographic center of the airport. At MIA, that's in the middle of Cargo City, which is closed to the public. At FLL, it's in the middle of the runways, so again the GPS routes me to the cargo area.
Not in this case. The destination was MK bus station, and it was correctly located on the map. Apparently Google thinks you can't make a left turn into the bus loop, because routing to CR across the street is done correctly.

I don't think Disney expects that MVs will appeal to everyone or that they need to price them for mass appeal. It's an option for those who see some value or convenience in it and for the rest of us, there are plenty of other options for getting around WDW.

Well doing a Minnie Van from POFQ to HDDR is out of the question now. No way am I paying those prices.

I wonder if there will ever come a time that Uber and regular Lyft cars won't be allowed on Disney property???? They want it to just be rental cars with a parking fee, MV or Disney transportation.

That's was my first thought when I saw this.
That question comes up occasionally, but I don't think they will. Technically, resorts and theme parks are private property and Disney could exclude all sorts of commercial traffic if they chose.

However, you need to remember one simple fact -- the vast majority of WDW visitors stay OFFSITE...and they have to get to WDW somehow. Disney is not going to put any kind of impediment to guests staying off-property and coming to WDW to spend money with the Mouse. Disney may be wild and crazy sometimes, but they're not stupid.

I was talking with my son the other night about this. Something sort of hit me, this is really another big experiment on Disney's part. So far we've seen the introduction, expansion, and now two rate increases. Disney obviously has more cost in these MV since the drivers are Disney employees and they are driving a Disney vehicle.

I'd say these have been a big hit for many people, this rate increase is a way to (a) curb the use somewhat and (b) pay for the expansion of the fleet and drivers. Consider all the other price hikes, this really is inline with those. This whole thing is still an experiment though, just like the experiment with Express Transportation who knows how long it will last.

I can't see them ever banning Lyft/uber, but I don't think we'll ever see those ride share services get access to the up close drop-off spots like the MVs. I have to give kudos to Lyft though, its a smart partnership.

I was talking with my son the other night about this. Something sort of hit me, this is really another big experiment on Disney's part. So far we've seen the introduction, expansion, and now two rate increases. Disney obviously has more cost in these MV since the drivers are Disney employees and they are driving a Disney vehicle.

I'd say these have been a big hit for many people, this rate increase is a way to (a) curb the use somewhat and (b) pay for the expansion of the fleet and drivers. Consider all the other price hikes, this really is inline with those. This whole thing is still an experiment though, just like the experiment with Express Transportation who knows how long it will last.

I can't see them ever banning Lyft/uber, but I don't think we'll ever see those ride share services get access to the up close drop-off spots like the MVs. I have to give kudos to Lyft though, its a smart partnership.
It's not even that complicated. They're raising the prices because they feel like they can.

They won't ban Uber/Lyft from Disney property because it's impossible to enforce. They're regular cars. Even if the car has an Uber sticker on it, they can just say they are picking up a family member. Disney won't ever say "I'm sorry, ma'am, but your brother can't pick you up from Epcot because his car has an Uber sticker on it."

And that would also effectively mean banning Uber/Lyft drivers from visiting the property as guests.

I am so confused. Why are people paying these prices?? We just got home, and used Uber almost every day from BCV to anywhere, mostly other hotels. It never costs more than 10.00 one way, typically 8.00-9.00. Its so easy! Are you paying for the polka dots? I mean, why pay so much more?
THe cute factor, and for a lot of people the two car seats in the MV is the deciding factor. Lyft and Uber don't have options that hold that many people AND have two car seats.

Are the Lyft drivers mainly Disney employees?

"Mainly" isn't the word I would use. I'm sure there are some employees who also drive for Uber and Lyft. The only way to get a Disney employee – an on-the-clock Disney employee – is with the Minnie Van, which is a Disney-operated service.

We have used the Minnie Vans here and there when they were $20 and $25. We were just at WDW last week and were going from DHS to Fort Wilderness for the Return to Sleepy Hollow event and checked the price to due uncertainty of timing issues. It was over $35. We opted for the bus ride and made it in plenty of time.

"Mainly" isn't the word I would use. I'm sure there are some employees who also drive for Uber and Lyft. The only way to get a Disney employee – an on-the-clock Disney employee – is with the Minnie Van, which is a Disney-operated service.
thank you for clarifying that for me.

Is there a website or a list of the estimated MV prices? Is a tip included in the rate? Does the app show the rate before you book the MV? Sorry for the string of questions!

We'd anticipated taking a MV from Hollywood Studios to MK next Wednesday. We have plans to attend Fantasmic, then head back to MK for EMH. But at a potential $40, I think we'll find another means to make our back.

Is there a website or a list of the estimated MV prices? Is a tip included in the rate? Does the app show the rate before you book the MV? Sorry for the string of questions!
1. I'm not aware of any websites that do estimating at this time, ride.guru is the most popular but doesn't include the Minnie Van options, however it does estimate the milage and time. With the estimate of miles you can do your own estimates. However, in the case of going to the Magic Kingdom the route may not be correct as regular Uber/Lyft can not take you to the bus parking area like the Minnie Vans can.
2. Tip is optional and not included, you can pay cash or tip through the app.
3. When you are on property the Lyft app should the Minnie Van options.

This page is full of good info from Disney itself, https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/minnie-van-service/

Try going into the Lyft app. When it asks you to enter your destination, first change the pick-up location from your current location to the location you'll want to be picked up at at WDW. (For best results, include "Disneys" in the name of resorts.) Then enter your destination on WDW property. When it shows the fare quote, swipe all the way to the left and it should show the MV fare. You don't have to actually be on WDW property to see the MV fare, you just have to enter pick-up and destination on WDW property.

Be sure to back out of the fare screen without accidentally requesting a ride.

I was thinking it started at $20 then went up to $25 at some point. Either way that's a massive increase though.

disney seem to be getting greedy now. Such a shame as it seems to want to be pricing families who probably have to save hard for their "" magical" " holidays out of going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter