Minnie Van Service to Airport - How long until Magic Express Costs $$$ ?

I think that a fee on DME would push us (back) toward a towncar service. We had great luck with the towncars before DME - the big wins for DME (to me) are the cost and the baggage convenience. (Flip side: towncar is much faster. No waiting around for the bus to arrive, no waiting for the bus to fill, no waiting while the bus hits three resorts before yours.)

Charging for DME would make the tradeoff into luggage convenience vs. wasted time on the bus, and that's a much closer call.
I agree with that 100%. The reason I take ME is for the convenience of picking up my luggage and because it is free, even though it takes longer. When it isn’t free the added time would push me to uber/car service, especially since we are a family of 4 and the price would likely be per person.

I think you and I have a different interpretation of the resort parking fee. The resort parking fee is to discourage people from renting cars at MCO. They'd rather people take ME and be 'captive' (not really, but in a way) on Disney property, spending more money there. If all they wanted was every onsite guest to pay more per day, they'd just up the room rates. This is about keeping people in the Disney ecosystem. (I think the fee is punitive towards guests who drive instead of fly, but that's another tangent).

I absolutely agree. Once you commit to DME you pretty much give up on spending vacation dollars outside of Disney, and commit to the lions share going to Disney coffers. I am drawing the line here, and since I have managed to find soem awesome vacation deals elsewhere, and my family enjoys them Very much, I am not as invested in Disney every year. I am infuriated that there is a parking fee for resort guests, and I do not even rent a car.

Frankly, Disney could have hidden the fee in increased rates, but chose to disclose it. I feel there is a reason for this.

With all the late paid events they have now days I am shocked normal park hours make it past 6 on most days. You want fireworks? Pay 100 for afterhours events or watch from the parking lot. It definitely is different than years ago, and will probably be much different in 3 years when I go back from what it is today. Hope I can afford and get my money's worth.

My Biggest Problem with MNSSHP being in Aug ... people say "well, you don't have to go / pay for it" ... sure, but it massively decreases the value of my ticket by limiting my access to MK, and potentially pushing more people into MK on the nights the party isn't running, this decreasing that value as well.

I absolutely agree. Once you commit to DME you pretty much give up on spending vacation dollars outside of Disney, and commit to the lions share going to Disney coffers. I am drawing the line here, and since I have managed to find soem awesome vacation deals elsewhere, and my family enjoys them Very much, I am not as invested in Disney every year. I am infuriated that there is a parking fee for resort guests, and I do not even rent a car.

Frankly, Disney could have hidden the fee in increased rates, but chose to disclose it. I feel there is a reason for this.

And its not like they have not been increasing the room rates anyway. But yes, I agree. As a dvc guest I am exempt from this, though as I wrote to Guest services we have been bookending our DVC trips with stays at POR, the parking fee (in conjunction with other things, but def the last straw) has put an end to that. The will not be getting our 1 or 2 nights cash stay anymore, but with the deals to be had up the Road at Uni ... maybe we will add a day or two there, and take the tickets out of our Disney spending money budget ...

I could see them putting a small fee on but then market it as more magical and personal. "Now you receive personalized luggage tags". Choose character and name on each like magic bands.

So - what my dear wife and I will do?

1) Look at the cost of ME.
2) Look at the cost of MEARS.
3) Look at the cost of a MiniVan.
4) Cost for basic UBER.

...all from/to MCO and WDW.

Some of this will sound redundant... unless ME begins to cost us. In which case? Everyone - have a good time, and compete.

I think those who are quick to proclaim "Disney will never do this" or "Disney will never do that" just haven't been paying attention. There probably aren't any sacred cows anymore, just untapped potential revenue streams.

Or the opposite. Tapping a potential revenue source that may stop up another.

No one knows what DIsney is going to do, that is true. Knowing what they have charged for and what they have not is an indication to me what the strategy may be. DIsney seems to be using many means to lure guests into staying onsite and enjoying an "all inclusive" feel to the vacation. WHen DIsney tightened the DDP conditions, people making that commitment dropped off. I bet more than just dining plan packages dropped off, but dining revenue along with in general dripped with it. Once you are not locked into spending all of your food money on disney property, you may decide to spend your souvenir money elsewhere. And If that Dining plan is not the turning point to make you choose an onsite reservation, perhaps one of those three bedroom homes, or a hotel that offers free breakfast for you teenaged bottomless pits may be a better use of lodging money. It falls apart from there for Disney.

I watch what DIsney does and I watch what it does NOT do. Resort parking fees? Why risk guest anger when all it takes is one more bump in rates? They WANT you to know that there is a financial disadvantage to this. If there is a charge for DME, and I do nto deny that there may be one in the future, I bet the backlash will not be good.

I know that my husband has asked on more than one occasion what we don't just rent offsite, and I know my sister keeps offering her timeshare for us. I have always declines those options, but stipulated that if we planned an Orlando area attractions trip, we would be in. The day DME has a fee, I am changing my WDW vacation to one that is Area Attractions. No need to spend all that cash in DIsney when there are so many other places that want my money.

The day DME has a fee, I am changing my WDW vacation to one that is Area Attractions. No need to spend all that cash in DIsney when there are so many other places that want my money.

I don't disagree but with the massive influx of guests once SWGE opens I expect more, not less, price increases over the next year or so. For everyone like you and me who may refuse to stay on property in protest, there will be 10 more who happily pony up. In other words, I don't think they're going to miss us very much.

I don't disagree but with the massive influx of guests once SWGE opens I expect more, not less, price increases over the next year or so. For everyone like you and me who may refuse to stay on property in protest, there will be 10 more who happily pony up. In other words, I don't think they're going to miss us very much.

I truely do hope that you are wrong, however I am afraid there might be that mindset in play, and that is when I switch gears adn choose a different destination.

Has it been confirmed that it is definitely $150 each way? Or is just speculation. I say it posted on one site but not on any other that I have searched says that it's to be determined.

Has it been confirmed that it is definitely $150 each way? Or is just speculation. I say it posted on one site but not on any other that I have searched says that it's to be determined.
That’s what it was when it was only available to club level guests. Other people have said they’ve called and been told it’s $150.

When they add fees, they place a value on that service.

For so many years you stayed on property for the "magic" and "magic" was priceless. It was special. Soon "magic" will be $49.99?

When I see people debate about staying on or off property, it always comes down to the "magic" of on property stays. So people will pay $350 a night for a hotel room to get the "free" magic instead of paying $175 offsite. Will people pay $350 onsite instead of $175 when "Disney magic" has a sticker price of $49.99? Now it's straight up math?

A few years ago I learned that the cost of Disney magic is ridiculous, and have stayed offsite at Bonnet Creek where for less money than Port Orleans I get 900 square feet with a full kitchen and a washer and dryer..... My rental car is $195 for the week...... AP gets free parking.....

Disney has already nickle and dimed alot of is away. The "Magic" just aint worth what they charge.

When they add fees, they place a value on that service.

For so many years you stayed on property for the "magic" and "magic" was priceless. It was special. Soon "magic" will be $49.99?

When I see people debate about staying on or off property, it always comes down to the "magic" of on property stays. So people will pay $350 a night for a hotel room to get the "free" magic instead of paying $175 offsite. Will people pay $350 onsite instead of $175 when "Disney magic" has a sticker price of $49.99? Now it's straight up math?

A few years ago I learned that the cost of Disney magic is ridiculous, and have stayed offsite at Bonnet Creek where for less money than Port Orleans I get 900 square feet with a full kitchen and a washer and dryer..... My rental car is $195 for the week...... AP gets free parking.....

Disney has already nickle and dimed alot of is away. The "Magic" just aint worth what they charge.
Right .. which is just shocking to me why they just added that resort parking fee. They could have kept it "hidden" in a resort increase and ticked off a lot less people. Now people see a Disney vacation as $X .. plus $20/night (if you drive) .. rather than just $Y dollars with some "magic" (like free parking!)

Right .. which is just shocking to me why they just added that resort parking fee. They could have kept it "hidden" in a resort increase and ticked off a lot less people. Now people see a Disney vacation as $X .. plus $20/night (if you drive) .. rather than just $Y dollars with some "magic" (like free parking!)

The resort parking fee is steep, but in a way I think charging that fee has the same aim as offering free ME, and free on-property bus transportation for that matter: encourage resort guests to be car-less.

That's why despite a demonstrated history of price increases and fee additions, if you look at the motives behind them, I don't think they're going to add a cost to ME just yet.

Initial thought is... I would not pay for it. However, then it comes into the "feels like magic from the start" thought. So I guess it would depend on the costs.

People HATE suddenly having to pay for something they once got for free; there is a huge psychological revolt against this. I used to be able to justify paying somewhat outrageous (anywhere else but at Disney) prices for a hotel room because, well, it was Disney. Also, there were no resort charges and no parking charges, so I figured it was kind of an all-in-one deal. I live fairly locally and drive, so I never get to take advantage of DME--a free service--but I got to park my vehicle for free so it evened out.

Then they came along and tell me that now I have to pay to park my car. My car is my only way of getting to Disney, so we are a package deal. I can't just leave it at home. Now, it no longer seems fair to me that people who fly get free DME (that my resort charge is subsidizing) while I have to pay extra to park. I don't resent those of you who use it and I hope they keep it free for the sake of all of you, but it no longer seems like a fair deal to me.

I can afford to pay the extra $30 or whatever it is to park. I just won't because I am stubborn that way. If they had raised the price of the room I might have noticed and grumbled a little, but I would have paid it. Heck, i might not even have noticed. Now I'll stay at Bonnet Creek, where, yes, I will pay for parking, but I'll get a lot more for my money and earn Hilton points to boot. Or the Swan or Dolphin, which have always had both a parking and a resort fee, but which are more reasonably priced to begin with, and we can use Marriott points for free stays. The Disney resorts don't even have loyalty programs. Or for a budget trip, the cheapo Marriott Courtyard is perfectly clean, safe, and comfortable.

I guess what I'm getting at is I too wonder, like many of you, why Disney chose to add a parking fee rather than to continue to build it into the room price. I wonder if this will open the door to more "extra" charges related to the resort stay. I think DME and resort fees are on the horizon.

You can pick up a rental car at the Dolphin. We used ME and picked up a rental car to travel to other places. Unless they ban rental car agencies, it's easy to do both. You can limit the rental period to keep parking fees down.

I agree that other fees are likely on the horizon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter