Minnie Van to Port Canaveral . . . think twice

Mickey of the Villages

Can't have nice things
We splurged (and karma rewarded us because we KNOW that we can't have nice things). My wife and I splurged a got a Minnie Van from OKW to PC. The driver showed up on time, the vehicle was immaculate so no complaints there.

But the driver talked non-stop to the port. It's a ways to the port from OKW. It took almost an hour. An hour of small talk. I fell asleep at one point and when I woke up the driver was still making small talk. My wife and I are not going to say something rude to someone or be even indirectly confrontational about this sort of thing. Instead, we'll just take the bus in the future. There's certainly talking on the bus but not directed at us.

I've noticed this with other Minnie Van drivers, a lot of small talk like we're in a taxi on Ocean Avenue in Brooklyn.

Just so you know.

We splurged (and karma rewarded us because we KNOW that we can't have nice things). My wife and I splurged a got a Minnie Van from OKW to PC. The driver showed up on time, the vehicle was immaculate so no complaints there.

But the driver talked non-stop to the port. It's a ways to the port from OKW. It took almost an hour. An hour of small talk. I fell asleep at one point and when I woke up the driver was still making small talk. My wife and I are not going to say something rude to someone or be even indirectly confrontational about this sort of thing. Instead, we'll just take the bus in the future. There's certainly talking on the bus but not directed at us.

I've noticed this with other Minnie Van drivers, a lot of small talk like we're in a taxi on Ocean Avenue in Brooklyn.

Just so you know.
On the other hand, if they were to remain silent someone, undoubtedly, would complain that they were ignored/given the silent treatment by their driver.

I'm fairly certain that Disney has asked the drivers to be "friendly" and that's where it comes from.

I'm also sure that a simple, "We'd like to enjoy the view" would curb it.

I'm also sure that a simple, "We'd like to enjoy the view" would curb it.
Yes. When did we become so non-confrontational to not request simple things. I don't get in a taxi to make conversation.. but this guy.....

Last Wednesday a passenger in a taxi heading for the airport leaned over to ask the driver a question and gently tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention.

The driver screamed, lost control of the cab, nearly hit a bus, drove up over the curb and stopped just inches from a large plate glass window. For a few moments everything was silent in the cab. Then, the shaking driver said "Are you OK? I'm so sorry, but you scared the living daylights out of me."

The badly shaken passenger apologized to the driver and said, "I didn't realize that a mere tap on the shoulder would startle someone so badly."

The driver replied, "No, no, I'm the one who is sorry, it's entirely my fault. Today is my very first day driving a cab. I've been driving a hearse for 15 years."

Phew, when I read this subject line I got nervous we made a mistake booking a Minnie van, but if the only complaint is small talk and not timeliness or bad driving, this sounds perfect. We have taken the Minnie Vans several times around WDW and that is their schtick--so we knew to expect that and like it. It makes a long drive go much faster for us, and they really engage our kids and get them excited about the destination.

Plus unlike regular ubers/taxis/private limos, I never felt the conversation with Minnie van drivers is inappropriate. I've been trapped in cars for hour+ drives with drivers who have tried to convert me to their religion, ranted nonstop about politics, women, or racial minorities, sexually harassed me to the point I feared for my safety. I'd much much rather have private transportation via a Minnie van with Disney customer service than take my changes on a third-party private transfer.

I super enjoy threads like these, that make me realize that so many of our complaints or concerns are quite minor, and differ so wildly between all of us. It seems rather odd to suggest one should re-consider a Minnie Van due to 'excessive' conversation, I mean, unless there's something about all Minnie Van drivers being mandated to chat incessantly I don't really get how anyone could take anything from your experience.

I took an Uber (first time ever!) from a hotel in Miami to the port. The driver literally said one sentence and that was in response to a question I had. I thought it was ever so slightly odd, but would never say that anyone should think twice about using Uber due to severe lack of conversation. However, given what you're looking for in quiet transportation, I highly recommend Luis who drives a Suburban :D

MotV - I've been there before - a little tip to curb the chit-chat if that isn't your thing. The Chevy Suburban Minnie Vans that transport back and forth from the port to WDW are DVD player equipped. The driver has a selection of Disney/Pixar/Marvel DVD's they can put on if you request it before they start driving. We've done this and had the volume turned low. So a little background Disney noise and the driver thinks you're enjoying the movie and therefore is not inclined to make conversation. I've also found asking them to turn on some Disney music accomplishes the same goal. Hope this helps!

MotV - I've been there before - a little tip to curb the chit-chat if that isn't your thing. The Chevy Suburban Minnie Vans that transport back and forth from the port to WDW are DVD player equipped. The driver has a selection of Disney/Pixar/Marvel DVD's they can put on if you request it before they start driving. We've done this and had the volume turned low. So a little background Disney noise and the driver thinks you're enjoying the movie and therefore is not inclined to make conversation. I've also found asking them to turn on some Disney music accomplishes the same goal. Hope this helps!
This is an excellent suggestion. Thank you for it. (Smiling) It took me a minute to figure out who MotV was. I really like that; thank you for that too.

'Shut up and drive'? Option for Uber riders to avoid small talk divides drivers

... Uber is taking the guesswork out of whether to make friendly banter during your rides with a new “quiet” option on the app – the latest move from the tech world to digitize human interaction.
In online posts and interviews, drivers were divided over the app’s new “conversation” section, which allows riders to choose “quiet preferred”, “happy to chat” or “no preference” before ordering a car. In a forum for Uber drivers, some categorically decried the change as a violation of “free speech”, while others said determining a rider’s needs can be a source of anxiety. Still others worried about how the feature would affect their ratings. ...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...er-riders-to-avoid-small-talk-divides-drivers

I hate chit chat. It wears on me. People need to learn to read a passenger. Or allow a comment section in the reservation. It isn’t hard to notice if someone is engaging in a conversation or minimal
Answers to be polite.

As far as it being a “little thing” I can list 10 irl people I know that deal with various levels of social anxiety. This would be miserable for them and for me.

Wow! I'd rent a car and leave it at the port for that much! And to have a chatty driver too? Ugh. :crazy2: Usually when we're traveling we're leaving early in the morning or coming back exhausted so please shhhhh......!

Hah! This is another one of those illustrations of how everyone has totally different preferences. The thought of having to deal with a car rental on vacation gives me soooo much anxiety. Every time I have had a rental, someone has smashed into it while it was parked and I had many multi-hour conversations with insurance to sort it out. Plus there is the stress of driving in a new place when you don't know the way. It's not that early in the morning too, considering the port isn't even open until 10:30 so the earliest you would leave WDW would be 9:30.

For a family of 7 it's $10 a head cheaper than DCL transport. Still exploring all the possibilities. Looking into rentals, but with 3 car seats and luggage we would need an extended full size van.

Just FYI, I was told it only seats 6. But for a family of 6 it is an upcharge of $6 plus tip to have private transportation versus DCL bus transportation with multiple stops and no control on pickup time. We're a family of five and I still think the upcharge of $46 is a great deal for us for those reasons.

Hah! This is another one of those illustrations of how everyone has totally different preferences. The thought of having to deal with a car rental on vacation gives me soooo much anxiety. Every time I have had a rental, someone has smashed into it while it was parked and I had many multi-hour conversations with insurance to sort it out. Plus there is the stress of driving in a new place when you don't know the way. It's not that early in the morning too, considering the port isn't even open until 10:30 so the earliest you would leave WDW would be 9:30.

We're pretty sturdy travelers. It takes a lot to stress us out. :)

Just FYI, I was told it only seats 6. But for a family of 6 it is an upcharge of $6 plus tip to have private transportation versus DCL bus transportation with multiple stops and no control on pickup time. We're a family of five and I still think the upcharge of $46 is a great deal for us for those reasons.
Didn't know the limit is 6 seats on the Minnie. Thank you for the information. Guess I need to keep researching for family of 7.

Just so you know.

How early would DCL let you schedule your pick-up at OKW?

For a family of 7 it's $10 a head cheaper than DCL transport. Still exploring all the possibilities. Looking into rentals, but with 3 car seats and luggage we would need an extended full size van.

And, the current full sized vans have absolutely no storage space behind the last seat. It may hold 12 pax but no room for luggage. Even if you had 7 people the headrests are so high that we could not even pass suitcases over the seats. It was so dang frustrating!!! You would have to put the luggage in the front row of seats (behind the driver) and then all the people behind that. At least that was our experience. I can't figure out why rental places can't take out that last seat if you don't want it. We asked them to and they said no.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter