Minnie Vans expand service to Orlando International

Don’t get the hostility towards the Minnie vans to MCO

People have the option of DME or taxi or Uber/Lyft

If others want to spend $150 on the polka dots, let them do it. I can’t afford plenty of things around WDW, may as well add this
"Let them do it" -- absolutely!! I agree 150%!! Just seems like (is, based on data) a terrible deal, I guess. :)

Because some people lose their dang minds over the idea of using a more public transport option, that's my flippant response :P

But realistically perhaps it would be useful for people who:
  • don't know that magical express exists
  • have a larger family
  • don't want to use Uber but are fine with using the Disney Lyft option
  • maybe leaving at an odd time or have precheck
  • have lots of extra money to spare
But that's kind of edge cases for that price. I think it would be a better target if it was half that price at most.

Will add extended family has had to get off of ME bus because of an "issue" with a mentally challenged family member.

Never have an issue "going" to WDW, it's been the "leaving" WDW.

That said, they usually just take 2 cabs back to MCO.

What is the general consensus on whether or not to tip the Minnie Van drivers (before this new announcement)?

I'm sure the perceived hostility for some is it feels like another money grab. Again it's for an optional service, that you have a free alternative. So if Disney can make a few extra bucks off those that don't care, then maybe they'll put in that tron coaster, and put in that guardians coaster, and put in the Rat, and maybe even Brazil and...and....and.
The market will support it, or it won't. If it helps the mouse make a few extra bucks, and it doesn't have to come out of my wallet, then I really don't mind.

I'd much rather they make the extra money through options like this rather than paid fast passes which I feel make it more a 'class thing'

**Posts pulled from News Round Up thread and answered here along with my original quote posters have quoted**

Yes RAC is being recommended and I'm sure most would take them up on that recommendation and that would require 3 hrs before flight time just like DME so I guess there's sorta a timeline imposed if you're going to use both Minnie Vans and RAC combined.

There's been enough nightmare stories especially with SWA with RAC that some people I know on the Boards have sworn off using them.

On the money thing they are starting off with "concierge guests only may visit the Resort Club Level Concierge to book this trip" so more than likely $150 isn't a huge deal all things considered for guests staying in that level.

But like with a lot of things Disney is aiming at a target market. I think I'm more interested in the expansion should the test prove successful as it widens the target audience if they take it outside of the concierge-type guest market.

I've never heard of any of these nightmare stories actually. Is there a thread or something where these are discussed? And why specifically Southwest?

We've used RAC on Southwest I believe 8 or 9 times since since they began to offer the service (back in 2010 I believe?) and never had any issues with our bags.
IDK on why it's mostly been a SWA (could be because SWA is a very popular airline option used on the Boards) but other airlines have been notated about. No there's not been a dedicated thread there's just been various threads over time. Some issues are name restrictions as mentioned by the below poster, some are issues with printed boarding passes and scanning issues, some are issues related to luggage and flights.

RAC has no impact on DME pickup times, though. We always drop off bags in the morning and don't fly until the evening.

The only RAC issues I've seen were people with hyphenated names or juniors (two people with the same name on one airline reservation).
Ah that's good to know about DME pick up times and RAC; thanks for that clarification. I was looking at Disney's requirement that in order to use RAC it needs to be at least 3 hrs prior to flight time and DME usually picks up 3hrs prior to flight time (though yeah we saw when it was upped to 4hrs). So I guess in my mind I was thinking if someone wasn't going to use RAC nor DME Minne Vans transportation to the airport would allow them to bypass leaving that far in advance and potentially more park time (ETA: but still have their luggage with them when they leave).

Yes some of those issues have been due to the names (as I have a hyphenated name I don't think I would take the chance after learning of other's issues lol) the other issues I answered in the above response to the other poster.

Again it's for an optional service, that you have a free alternative. So if Disney can make a few extra bucks off those that don't care, then maybe they'll put in that tron coaster, and put in that guardians coaster, and put in the Rat, and maybe even Brazil and...and....and.
The market will support it, or it won't. If it helps the mouse make a few extra bucks, and it doesn't have to come out of my wallet, then I really don't mind.

Yep agreed, if the paid FP+ plan and things like this helped add these attractions, in even the slightest way-I'm all for it.

Ah that's good to know about DME pick up times and RAC; thanks for that clarification. I was looking at Disney's requirement that in order to use RAC it needs to be at least 3 hrs prior to flight time and DME usually picks up 3hrs prior to flight time (though yeah we saw when it was upped to 4hrs). So I guess in my mind I was thinking if someone wasn't going to use RAC nor DME Minne Vans transportation to the airport would allow them to bypass leaving that far in advance and potentially more park time (ETA: but still have their luggage with them when they leave).

Ok yeah, for RAC you can check your bags anytime that day up until 3 hours before your flight. You can then stick around and go to the parks after you've checked bags and don't need to use DME or Disney transportation to the airport along with RAC (so you can use Uber, Lyft, taxi, etc. if you used RAC). It's a completely separate service from DME.

Ok yeah, for RAC you can check your bags anytime that day up until 3 hours before your flight. You can then stick around and go to the parks after you've checked bags and don't need to use DME or Disney transportation to the airport along with RAC (so you can use Uber, Lyft, taxi, etc. if you used RAC). It's a completely separate service from DME.
Gotcha. Thank you for the information :)

IDK on why it's mostly been a SWA (could be because SWA is a very popular airline option used on the Boards) but other airlines have been notated about. No there's not been a dedicated thread there's just been various threads over time. Some issues are name restrictions as mentioned by the below poster, some are issues with printed boarding passes and scanning issues, some are issues related to luggage and flights.
Thanks! I always to try to read this kind of information in case we face a similar issue to see how to deal with things.

The one weird thing we had happen once with DME and RAC was we received a notice that said were selected at random to have to check our bags at the airport. It wasn't anything official from TSA or Southwest (just appears like Disney is supposed to select people randomly for this) so I "pretended" not to see that notice... We checked our bags with RAC anyways and our bags arrived as expected in Pittsburgh, lol!

Thanks! I always to try to read this kind of information in case we face a similar issue to see how to deal with things.

The one weird thing we had happen once with DME and RAC was we received a notice that said were selected at random to have to check our bags at the airport. It wasn't anything official from TSA or Southwest (just appears like Disney is supposed to select people randomly for this) so I "pretended" not to see that notice... We checked our bags with RAC anyways and our bags arrived as expected in Pittsburgh, lol!
I've heard of that random notice too..I'm pretty sure people did just what you did though too lol with no issues. I've wondered too if that 'random' aspect is just something that's supposed to do or if something else triggered it.

Wow...so they must have expanded the fleet of Minnie Vans. But instead of rolling it out to guests in moderate or value resorts, they offer this high priced airport transportation option. Although details still need to be worked out and prices not set in stone, estimates are approx $130 one way, or $250+ round trip?

Hmm, what to do if I had an extra $250 sitting around that I could use on my WDW trip but didn't want to put toward the new Minnie Van option...probably a combination of the following:

1. Add an extra night to my value resort stay.
2. Add an extra day to my multi-ticket for the parks.
3. Pay any additional fees to push my flight out of MCO to later in the day. This would enable us to either get some park time in on that extra day, or sleep in and relax at the resort before jumping on DME to MCO, which is FREE, or pay for Uber/Lyft.
4. Extra souvenirs/character meal!

Last edited:
How about they roll the Minnie Vans out resort wide before they start offering astronomically priced rides to the airport?

Hmm, what to do if I had an extra $250 sitting around that I could use on my WDW trip but didn't want to put toward the new Minnie Van option...probably a combination of the following:

1. Add an extra night to my value resort stay
2. Add an extra day to my multi-ticket for the parks
3. Pay any additional fees to push my flight out of MCO to later in the day. This would enable us to either get some park time in on that extra day, or sleep in and relax at the resort before jumping on DME to MCO, which is FREE, or pay for Uber/Lyft
4. Extra souvenirs!

Good points, I like how you can make "choices" when confronted with them, but some folks still have an extra $250 laying around after that, and after that, and after that, and the beat goes on.

Of course there are those without the additional $250 laying around, can do no extra stay/ticket extensions and just "choose" ME.

Lots of folks in this world.

Okay, but, if they are short on vehicles, how can they justify sending vehicles back and forth to MCO?
This is a test to see its popularity. It has to be scheduled and is currently only available at the Boardwalk.

Will add extended family has had to get off of ME bus because of an "issue" with a mentally challenged family member.

Never have an issue "going" to WDW, it's been the "leaving" WDW.

That said, they usually just take 2 cabs back to MCO.

Oh yeah that would probably help take the sting out of leaving. I can only imagine how sad that would make someone who might have some other things going on and a disability on top of it. Probably worth every penny at that point.

I've heard of that random notice too..I'm pretty sure people did just what you did though too lol with no issues. I've wondered too if that 'random' aspect is just something that's supposed to do or if something else triggered it.
I know this is off topic but I found it interesting so I'll give a little more context. We actually got this notice on back to back trips in January and March in 2014. We ignored it both times...both times we were on Southwest with a lap child but the airport had no knowledge of the lap child until we showed up so I can't believe that triggered it. I definitely DON'T think it was TSA or Southwest making the selection because otherwise wouldn't the computer have prevented us from doing RAC?

So my pure assumption is that based on Disney's agreement with this service they have to randomly select people and send them that letter...At any rate I always advise people that if they get that letter to "pretend they didn't see it" because who wants to lug their bags on the ME bus...Not I!! The tragical express is sad enough without the hassle of trying to move 3 large bags a carry-on and 2 strollers lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts