Minnie Vans expand service to Orlando International

I know this is off topic but I found it interesting so I'll give a little more context. We actually got this notice on back to back trips in January and March in 2014. We ignored it both times...both times we were on Southwest with a lap child but the airport had no knowledge of the lap child until we showed up so I can't believe that triggered it. I definitely DON'T think it was TSA or Southwest making the selection because otherwise wouldn't the computer have prevented us from doing RAC?

So my pure assumption is that based on Disney's agreement with this service they have to randomly select people and send them that letter...At any rate I always advise people that if they get that letter to "pretend they didn't see it" because who wants to lug their bags on the ME bus...Not I!! The tragical express is sad enough without the hassle of trying to move 3 large bags a carry-on and 2 strollers lol!
Your reasoning would make sense for sure. Seems like there doesn't appear to be adverse issues either with someone ignoring the notice either.

Oh yeah that would probably help take the sting out of leaving. I can only imagine how sad that would make someone who might have some other things going on and a disability on top of it. Probably worth every penny at that point.

Thanks, yes it might help. Its partly because of the being around too many people when this arises (plus the embarrassment), coupled with having to leave etc.

Like I say its 2 cabs back to fit them all anyway now, so might be interested. If not, 2 cabs works fine.

Personally, I don't mind the concept of the service - I know plenty of people will feel more confident with a Minnie Van (even though you order the van using Lyft, so ... 6/half dozen). I have a real problem with the price point - there is just nothing to support pricing it like that. A family of 5-6 not utilizing the car seats will have ZERO room for luggage - have you looked in the back of an on-site Minnie Van? That's what's in the cargo space - the two car seats.

$150 is just ridiculous, and I've paid for ridiculous things at Disney before but this is just ... so. ridiculous.

These tests are always worrisome. They often end up being just the tip of the iceberg.

I know this is off topic but I found it interesting so I'll give a little more context. We actually got this notice on back to back trips in January and March in 2014. We ignored it both times...both times we were on Southwest with a lap child but the airport had no knowledge of the lap child until we showed up so I can't believe that triggered it. I definitely DON'T think it was TSA or Southwest making the selection because otherwise wouldn't the computer have prevented us from doing RAC?

Yes, the lap child would definitely have triggered that type of notice. We traveled several times with our lap baby, and every time we had to see someone at the desk because you couldn't remotely check in a lap child, especially when a passport had to be shown.

I saw signs for this at Yacht Club today. It must be starting to roll out to other resorts. Although it seemed like the Cast were just finding out about it.
They have been handing out info at other resorts. It’s possible they are expanding it already but originally it was for Boardwalk club level only.

How about they roll the Minnie Vans out resort wide before they start offering astronomically priced rides to the airport?

Umm, because deluxe guests are already using uber/taxis/town car service for this so they know the market is already there?

Wife is in the c-suite and her previous job provided town car service to from the airport as a perk/keep execs working. It is really hard to give up once you're used to it. We now pay for it out of pocket.

I think the biggest benefit is getting to the airport when you want vs. having a specific pick up time. People were not happy getting picked up 4 hours before their flight before.

Plus car seats- we haven't done DME partly because of no car seats

(Though other private car options)

Okay, but, if they are short on vehicles, how can they justify sending vehicles back and forth to MCO?
Probably b/c they’re going in order of the ppl they think will pay for them. When they first came out & now on this thread ppl are complaining about the price compared to other forms of transportation.

Probably b/c they’re going in order of the ppl they think will pay for them. When they first came out & now on this thread ppl are complaining about the price compared to other forms of transportation.

Yep. As a function of time, it is about an hour round trip to MCO from the Contemporary. Since you are only doing drop off, Disney never has to worry about a driver being delayed waiting for a flight or lost luggage, so you only have to build in 5 minutes of waiting time for the customer to come down from the resort and maybe 10 minutes sitting in the drop off line at MCO. So in an hour and 15 minutes, you've made the same profit as 7.5 $20 trips. Beach Club to Magic Kingdom takes about 12 minutes. In theory you could get 6 trips in 75 minutes, making 80% as much as an airport run over the same time, but that assumes the driver never waits for the passengers and is properly positioned for each trip. The odds on that are 0. So if you build in 10 minutes between each trip to either wait for a call or reposition, you can only get about 3-4 $20 trips in 75-80 minutes, or $80, which is only 54% as much as 1 trip to the airport.

The airport run is a massively higher profit service than the original trips around the resorts, even when the resort trips run at maximize possible capacity, and if Disney is good at anything, it is maximizing higher profit services.

Traffic, of course, will throw this off. However, given the traffic around MK at high volume transportation times, the times people are most willing to shell out for the Van as opposed to waiting in line for a bus or at mealtimes to go resort to resort without transferring at a Park, and it probably cuts into the profit margin somewhat, but not enough to change the equation.

^^^

How many of the return trips have passengers?

I'm assuming if they are taking guests to MCO they are picking up guests as well?

^^^

How many of the return trips have passengers?

I'm assuming if they are taking guests to MCO they are picking up guests as well?

They are not. Which is why I measured time spent for the round trip. Not picking up means never getting stuck waiting on a delayed flight or lost luggage. They are avoiding the high risk trip and embracing the high revenue trip. Clever pencil pushers.

Step towards eliminating Magic Express. Another "optional upcharge" that will soon make not using it so impractical as to make it an expense you need to get the default experience.

Step towards eliminating Magic Express. Another "optional upcharge" that will soon make not using it so impractical as to make it an expense you need to get the default experience.
I don't know about that. They get rid of Magical Express and Disney could start losing people to off site locations. One of the major goals of magical express is to keep people on property.

Personally, I don't mind the concept of the service - I know plenty of people will feel more confident with a Minnie Van (even though you order the van using Lyft, so ... 6/half dozen). I have a real problem with the price point - there is just nothing to support pricing it like that. A family of 5-6 not utilizing the car seats will have ZERO room for luggage - have you looked in the back of an on-site Minnie Van? That's what's in the cargo space - the two car seats.

$150 is just ridiculous, and I've paid for ridiculous things at Disney before but this is just ... so. ridiculous.

I am usually pro-Disney....but this price tag....the term outrageous doesn't even begin to describe how ludicrous that price tag is. I wouldn't mind this staying as an option for people, but I hope that the cost goes the way of the Tomorrowland cabanas.

I'm arriving in April. I love the idea of this new service but I have a 8-10 person limo lined up for a round trip with all charges including tip for $250. They meet you at baggage claim. The experience may be nicer with knowledgable drivers. I'll have to wait and see reviews.

a quick google search shows van service from disney resorts is $131 one way from the first orlando limo company I found. A suburban $96 and a lincoln mkt $88.
Florida town car is $100 round trip and they will stop at a grocery or liquor store for you, I have used them several times and they have been fantastic for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter