Minnie Vans/Uber/Lyft questions

TinkPearl

Spring Break April 2019 Here We Come!
Let me first say that I have never used any of these services so I have zero knowledge of how it works. If we didn't want to ride the bus to our resort after the Magic Kingdom fireworks, I assume we could just call one of these services to pick us up instead? Would it be easier to walk to the Poly and have them pick us up there? Is that even allowed?' Also, what is the average cost of having a MK pickup to AOA?

Thanks!

Let me first say that I have never used any of these services so I have zero knowledge of how it works. If we didn't want to ride the bus to our resort after the Magic Kingdom fireworks, I assume we could just call one of these services to pick us up instead? Would it be easier to walk to the Poly and have them pick us up there? Is that even allowed?' Also, what is the average cost of having a MK pickup to AOA?

Thanks!
You can't walk from MK to Poly. You can walk from MK to CR, which you would want to do if you wanted a Lyft or Uber. Minnie Vans are the only ones that can pick up at MK, and they do so in the MK bus area.

You cannot call any of them. You have to request them thru their app on your smart phone. Uber is one app; Lyft is another. Minnie Vans are also requested on the Lyft app; they just show up as another vehicle type when you are physically on WDW property.

If you're requesting a Minnie Van, request it when you reach the MK exit plaza. If you're requesting an Uber or Lyft, don't request it until you're at the location where you want to be picked up, which would be either CR or TTC.

We stayed at Poly a few years and I thought I remembered walking from MK, maybe it was from TTC? Anyway, walking to CR and then getting a Lyft/Uber would be ideal. Any estimate on the cost?

You can get cost estimates using rideguru.com, or either of the company websites. If you use rideguru, the estimate will show you the mileage and you can use that to compute the MinnieVan fare -- which will usually be a lot more than Uber or Lyft. The MinnieVan fare will be $15 + $2.75 per mile.

We stayed at Poly a few years and I thought I remembered walking from MK, maybe it was from TTC? Anyway, walking to CR and then getting a Lyft/Uber would be ideal. Any estimate on the cost?
No, you can get rough estimates on ride.guru, or on the web sites for Uber or Lyft, but rates are variable and will probably be considerably higher after MK fireworks. Minnie Van rates are much higher; I think someone recently got charged around $45.

Will a Minnie Van transport an ECV if we load it in the back ourselves, like with Lyft?
We have a Hoop-Dee-Doo reservation and want to go directly to Pioneer Hall.
I'm asking just in case the Minnie Vans with ECV transport take considerably longer to arrive than a regulary MV.

Will a Minnie Van transport an ECV if we load it in the back ourselves, like with Lyft?
We have a Hoop-Dee-Doo reservation and want to go directly to Pioneer Hall.
I'm asking just in case the Minnie Vans with ECV transport take considerably longer to arrive than a regulary MV.
My guess -- and this is just a guess -- is that the driver will load it, or help load it provided there is enough room.

How much room there is depends on how many people there are in your party. If you have 4 in your party, that's unlikely. If you have 5, I think it would be almost impossible.

MVs carry two full child seats and those are stored behind the third row when not in use. If your party is small enough, the driver will be able to fold part or all of the third row down to make room for the ECV. If not, not, and you'll have to order an accessible vehicle.

Thanks so much, JimMIA! There are 3 of us. So I'll consider it one of our options.

Might try and leave MK a little earlier than planned on an MK day and just take the boat there and back to MK, then bus to resort. So time consuming though!

Thanks so much, JimMIA! There are 3 of us. So I'll consider it one of our options.

Might try and leave MK a little earlier than planned on an MK day and just take the boat there and back to MK, then bus to resort. So time consuming though!
With 3, there should be plenty of room. The driver can just drop the entire 3rd row, and even with the child seats there should be plenty of room for the ECV. Two people in the 2nd row and one in front. The person who uses the ECV will probably find the front seat easier to enter. There is a pretty steep step up into the vehicle, but I don't know if the MVs have a step or not.

(I drive the same basic vehicle -- Buick Enclave -- so I'm familiar with it.)

Thanks again. Really appreciate you sharing all your knowledge here.

Are you in Orlando? drive at DW?

Last edited:
Google maps, at least on a mobile device, will give you current rates for uber and lyft.

Get directions. There are icons for driving, walking, mass transit and ride share

Thanks again. Really appreciate you sharing all your knowledge here.

Are you in Orlando? drive at DW?
First of all, sharing and helping -- as you well know as a longtime member -- is what the DIS is all about. These boards contain a wealth of information, freely and cordially shared, and we all benefit from that. We all learn here...every day!

I drive in Miami. I'm kind of in the process of quitting. I haven't driven in several weeks and have no plans to do so, but I just haven't made the final decision to deactivate my accounts.

Jim Uber and Lyft seem to be money pits. By all accounts drivers are being squeezed. Maybe taxi fares are about what it costs to pay the drivers and cover overhead.

In the beginning Uber was able to sidestep insurance and finase airport fees. Taxi type rules may require taxi type fares.

No question app is a good way to call for transportation. Knowing the exact fare in advance is a plus.
Uber fares in NYC is similar to what taxis charge.

Jim Uber and Lyft seem to be money pits. By all accounts drivers are being squeezed. Maybe taxi fares are about what it costs to pay the drivers and cover overhead.

In the beginning Uber was able to sidestep insurance and finase airport fees. Taxi type rules may require taxi type fares.

No question app is a good way to call for transportation. Knowing the exact fare in advance is a plus.
Uber fares in NYC is similar to what taxis charge.
Agree. Uber and Lyft's biggest challenge is that Uber brilliantly disrupted an industry that never had been a big money-maker to begin with. And then only for a few taxi company owners -- not drivers.

I think part of the problem is the Silicon Valley venture capital mindset. I think many of these startups are designed more to get to the IPO and make the VC people rich than to produce a long-running business success story. The truth is that neither Uber nor Lyft has a path to profitability that anyone trusts. I have enjoyed my driving days, but I wouldn't put a penny into their stock on a bet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter