Missing school after Covid

disneydreamer1980

DIS Veteran
I always take my kids out of school for 2 weeks each nov/dec for our Disney trips. After missing so much school for the virus, I was wondering if I should take them out for our upcoming trip. My friends who were planning fall trips are thinking the same thing and I’m sure lots of other parents feel the same way, so school holidays times will probably be more crowded then usual for a while. Just a thought.

The beginning of the school year is always review of the previous year. When we pull our kids we always let the teacher know well in advance so we can finish school work on the plane. We are part of a hybrid homeschool model so it's a little different, as I am used to teaching my kids but we're always able to stay in sync with the rest of the class when we travel. I think as long as you're confident in your ability to help your kids stay on pace, pull them out. But if you're not confident you can do that - it's not fair to expect the teachers to catch them up because they went to Disney World. I would say the same whether we were out for the pandemic or not.

I am a teacher and a mom of two. School districts always review in the fall and may revise curriculum to accommodate the gap in instruction due to being closed. Everyone is in the same boat.
The quality family time we get to enjoy on our vacations, especially Disney trips, is worth it. If things are safe and we are still able to travel, we will still go on our trip this fall (not on a school break). Especially after the stress we are all experiencing now, and will likely experience this summer. My kids will be fine if they miss school for some fun! :)

I think they’ll have distance learning down by then, surely... If you want to go I’d cast up to them that you missed months and they should now be prepared to provide work in a distance format 🤣

sorry...I’m bitter.

In our school district there has been a lot of talk (on the news) from starting the next school year (2020-2021) early to repeating the school year (not promoting any kids). By the sound of it, colleges in our state don't sound very optimistic about opening and will continue on line learning. My daughter has had on line learning since elementary school but I have to say that her on line school work is not as heavy or difficult as when she's at school. Our schools are closed for the remainder of this school year. Milestone testing and finals have been canceled. I have a feeling my daughter will have some catching up to do when school resumes. On line learning is okay, I'm glad we have it right now. It's no substitution for learning and being in the classroom with a teacher.

Based on what the governor of NH said yesterday, they're not even 100% convinced we'll be able to return to school in September, it's going to depend on how things shake out over the summer.

In our school district there has been a lot of talk (on the news) from starting the next school year (2020-2021) early to repeating the school year (not promoting any kids). By the sound of it, colleges in our state don't sound very optimistic about opening and will continue on line learning. My daughter has had on line learning since elementary school but I have to say that her on line school work is not as heavy or difficult as when she's at school. Our schools are closed for the remainder of this school year. Milestone testing and finals have been canceled. I have a feeling my daughter will have some catching up to do when school resumes. On line learning is okay, I'm glad we have it right now. It's no substitution for learning and being in the classroom with a teacher.

As a volunteer I dont see the point in repeating were I live it is mostly testing and field trips after spring break

The kids well be board to repeat everything again, I know I would be board if I was still a student

As a volunteer I dont see the point in repeating were I live it is mostly testing and field trips after spring break

The kids well be board to repeat everything again, I know I would be board if I was still a student

This largely depends on where you live and when school is in session. For many schools that started in early August and are used to being out by Memorial Day that is relatively true. We start in mid August and go until Mid June. We still had 1/3 of the school year left. Fortunately for my math students we had worked with 90% of the standards already. I don't think students should have to repeat grades, but it will mean students are behind as the new year starts. Even short breaks like Thanksgiving incur learning loss. These extra 2-4 months off matter. Good schools will be okay. They'll make up the lost time. Some schools will struggle.

Our district has a policy that if students miss 5 or more consecutive days they can do independent study. This doesn't make up for lost time in the classroom, but it helps and stops the student from being marked absent. I know a lot of districts do something similar. Ulitimately it is the parents choice, but I could see a lot of families feeling that this is not the year to pull their kid out of school for a week or two for a vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter