Missing Thai soccer boys and coach are found alive in cave, EVERYONE is out of the cave!

I read today that the coach did not bring the kids into the cave. The kids went in themselves and the coach went in to get them.

There is a 13th boy who didn't go with the group. He said they've been inside the cave several times before. And they never told their parents they were going. :rolleyes:

Yes. But that won't be known for a while, some of the testing for rare or unusual diseases is often send-out and can take a while to come back. I'm sure infectious disease teams are working overtime with this group.

So glad the boys and coach are all out alive and safely! It's been fascinating.

I am curious about possible diseases as well.

Our 21 year old son somehow picked up caver's disease (histoplasmosis) in February. He has not been near a cave (in years) or known bird droppings such as a chicken coop, etc. I think it may have been in the air--lots of construction and tearing down of 150 year old buildings on his college campus and lots of landscaping happening there all the time and I think that stirred something up. His manifested as a sudden mass in his chest and wheezing which sent him to the campus clinic. CT scan showed spleen enlargement and the mass.

From my reading, it says that it takes about 3 to 17 days after exposure to show symptoms of the disease. Many people in the Ohio and Mississippi River Valley, where conditions for the fungus to live are good in the US, have it and don't know it.

The testing DS had that actually diagnosed the disease (Docs initially suspected lymphoma) was a bronchial lavage through a bronchoscopy which tested positive for the disease. As I understand it, blood and other tests take a while to come back positive for the disease.

It's been a very educational, long road to recovery for DS. He will take an expensive antifungal (Sporonax) for at least 6 months, if not longer. But DS seems to be okay now.

I just wonder if DS (and the boys and coach in the cave) will have lingering issues that creep up later.

The NY Times confirms the cave is now EMPTY!!! :jumping1:

NY Times:
"[UPDATED at 11:58 a.m. Eastern, July 10]

The cave is empty again.

With the rescued safe, it was time for the rescuers to make their own exit.

On Tuesday, after 18 days of drama that gripped Thailand and the world, the last people exited the flooded cave complex in which 12 young soccer players and their coach had been trapped.

Here are the latest developments.

• The four members of the Thai military — one army doctor and three Navy SEAL members — who had stayed with the team for days came out of the cave together. The rescue operation is officially complete."

It took dozens of divers, hundreds of volunteers and 18 days to do it, but the rescue operation at Tham Luang Cave has succeeded.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: Hallelujah!

Also:
"In a news conference after the rescue, Mr. Narongsak said that all of the team members were safe at the hospital at Chiang Rai.

“I would like to say we have good news: We got five people out safely,” he said. He added that family members would be able to visit the boys tonight, though separated by a window." :grouphug:

Our 21 year old son somehow picked up caver's disease (histoplasmosis) in February. He has not been near a cave (in years) or known bird droppings such as a chicken coop, etc. I think it may have been in the air--lots of construction and tearing down of 150 year old buildings on his college campus and lots of landscaping happening there all the time and I think that stirred something up. His manifested as a sudden mass in his chest and wheezing which sent him to the campus clinic. CT scan showed spleen enlargement and the mass.

From my reading, it says that it takes about 3 to 17 days after exposure to show symptoms of the disease. Many people in the Ohio and Mississippi River Valley, where conditions for the fungus to live are good in the US, have it and don't know it.

The testing DS had that actually diagnosed the disease (Docs initially suspected lymphoma) was a bronchial lavage through a bronchoscopy which tested positive for the disease. As I understand it, blood and other tests take a while to come back positive for the disease.

It's been a very educational, long road to recovery for DS. He will take an expensive antifungal (Sporonax) for at least 6 months, if not longer. But DS seems to be okay now.

I just wonder if DS (and the boys and coach in the cave) will have lingering issues that creep up later.
Wow, so sorry your son went through that. I hope there are no lasting affects.

That must have been very scary for you guys! I'm glad he's doing better. Yes, we see cases like this where I work. Some illnesses can have lingering effects, but there often aren't any hard or fast rules because people can be affected differently, even from the same illness. I would say that even though they're physically out of the cave, some of them may be dealing with illness for a while (which hopefully they will all survive), and, as we've discussed, psychologically they may have a long road ahead of them. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I'm guessing that we may see some of them discharged from the hosptial fairly quickly, but there might be others who have to stay longer, and some could even become very ill. We'll just have to see what happens and what the findings are (if they share). Continuing to pray for everyone affected! Such an amazing case here! It's really monumental they got them all out safely!

ABC is going to have a special 20/20 episode on the Thailand rescue on 9pm ET. Hopefully we'll hear some new details of what went on during the rescue [and more accurate ones than all the conflicting reports we got.]

I just read that the last person out will be more difficult and they will need 3 accompanying divers.

That could have been the coach. All reports I read mentioned how he was the weakest as he had given his food to the kids. He might have insisted on staying till last even though the doctor wanted him out sooner. It will be interesting if we are able to find out if that happened.

Last edited:
ABC is going to have a special 20/20 episode on the Thailand rescue on 9pm ET. Hopefully we'll hear some new details of what went on during the rescue [and more accurate ones than all the conflicting reports we got.]
I'll be watching!

OMG, the boys had luckily stopped at a local convenience store and had stocked up on munchies before going to the cave. That decision is what allowed them to have the food they had to keep them alive until they were found.

Two other boys who didn't go with them had said they done team excursions into the cave several times before. One had gone in 4 times. He said on a normal, dry, non-flood day, it could take 5-6 hours depending on how far in they go & back out. They always brought a lot of food & flashlights with them.

Last edited:
Shoot, I missed it, just got home. :headache:

I think you can watch it ON Demand later. 20/20 is listed on my ON Demand list and the episode is there because I happened to be recording it. Usually episodes show up the next day.

Maybe it will be on demand. It was worth watching to see the whole story from start to finish with all the facts. Lots of teary moments though. They are about to talk about what is ahead for the boys...recovery wise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!