Mission: Hong Kong?

Safari Steve

D23 Expo Here I Come!!!
This is from the description of Tomorrowland on the official HK/DL website:
Here, you'll get the very real feeling that you're blasting off into outer space, while nearby you can embark on fanciful adventures with superheroes like Buzz Lightyear.

How about that? Strange, huh?

Steve, the ride that HK is referring to that would launch you into space is Space Mountain, not Mission Space. They're putting in place a Space Mountain very similar to Disneyland Paris', where riders are launched up a ramp located outside of the ride into the show building. Imagineering released details of the attracion last fall. Here's a brief description from the announcement of what we can expect to see:

"Looming as a powerful backdrop and icon for Tomorrowland stands Space Mountain. Here guests have the opportunity to travel and experience the wonders of the cosmos. Guests will start their journey by traveling through several portals with stars, planets, orbits and flight information to prepare them for their adventure.

The Launch Port is a type of observatory and planetarium where guests board rockets to an outer space destination. Through a warp-speed adventure to the far reaches of the Universe and back, guests encounter the spectacular beauty and dangers of space, from a wormhole to a meteor shower. Numerous surprises and near misses fill the high-speed rocket journey before guests return safely home.

“Space Mountain utilizes the latest Disney technology and special effects creating unique experiences only found at Hong Kong Disneyland,” said Delaney. “We have redesigned this Space Mountain adventure to take advantage of the advancements made in technology to create more realistic and fantastic experiences in space.”

By the way...

"We have redesigned this Space Mountain adventure to take advantage of the advancements made in technology..."

is a spin way to say "the coaster we were going to buy and pretty up to be 'Rock'n Rollercoaster' for California Adventure is going to be used here instead.

At least that's what the rumors say.

P.S. - They've been using the "real feeling that you're blasting off into outer space" bit since at least Space Mountian WDW in the early seventies. And if I check, I'll probably find the very same marketing used for 'Flight to the Moon' back in 1955. There will be nothing in Disneyland Hong Kong even close to the size and expense of 'Mission: Space'.

Thanks for clearing that up, that's why I asked. Interesting to note that Screamscape.com is reporting that Space Mt at HKDL is going to be a recycled track from WDW or Disnelyand... A rumor that I was always sure was pure rubbish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter