Mission: Space FAQ input needed

wdwguide

Ex Guide Book Author
I have started to put together a FAQ summarizing the known information about Mission: Space. Considering I just started it today, there are probably a few inaccuracies and missing information, so I'd appreciate if some of the resident experts on this board would have a look and give me some feedback.
To get there, click on the URL in my signature, and use the FAQs link in the menu frame.

Thanks in advance!

There’s one little tidbit to add to the “movie-tie” sections. Fox is currently working on a pilot for ABC about astronauts (being ABC, the working title is ‘The Astronauts’). It’s been called ABC’s entry into the ‘West Wing’ / 'E.R.' type of story-arc drama, but with a lot of “action” to keep the male demographic interested. Plot line centers on the NASA, Americans and Russians, Congress and various soap opera flings among the photogenic actors pretending they understand the dialog. The pilot involves Hunky Hero blasting off into space with Luscious Love Interest to rescue the hero’s Benevolent Big Brother from the crippled space station.

It’s still a long shot if this one will be picked up as a series (it’s going to be more expensive than what ABC wants to pay). But if it does, rumors say that ‘Mission: Space’ will get a very fast, very cheap tie-in to the series: the actors and characters from the series will be used in the pre-show video and props will be scattered throughout. But thee way things are going right now with ‘M:S’, the series will be cancelled long before the ride opens.

Ugh, I hope that'll never come to be - a $200 million permanent Super Soap attraction. Thanks for the info, though!

The link to ETC in clear. They list Disney as one of their major clients in their annual report.

Anyone willing to give "odds" on it being open in time for Easter (mid April) 2003?????

Sir Scoop:

I've seen mentions that claim the 'sponsorship' is really more of a deal to trade backing of the pavilian disguised as purchasing equipment and/or technology from Compaq. If that were true, I would think that the deal would still go through, since it would be a 'sale' made by the old company to be assumed by the new company.

In other words, Compaq sells to Disney X amount of software/technology in exchange for a massive discount (the approx cost of sponsorship of the now-downsized attraction). HP would still be on the hook, since it is a sale at a discount. Right?

Mr. Wdwguide, that’s the show. I haven’t heard anything more about it but would have to assume the pilot’s finished by now. It will still be a couple of months before the fall seasons are announced. I’ll keep an eye out for more info. P.S. I haven’t heard of any of the actors that are mentioned.

Most sponsorship deals with Disney include both cash payments to the Mouse, required or preferred vendor relationships and often some sort of exclusive arrangement. Notice how suddenly the ice cream on property changed to Nestle when Kraft dropped out of the sponsorship of ‘The Land’. Compaq already had a vendor agreement with Disney before the ‘Mission: Space’ deal came up and I very, very strongly suspect that money changed hands to pay for the ride and its operations (that’s the standard Epcot agreement).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter