Mission:Space vehicles Spotted and a VERY IMPORTANT FYI!

Mr. Voice:

A long while back, Jim had an article on what Mission:Space was supposed to be--a simulation of a trip to a space station, with some weightlessness somewhere in there, and a trip back.

Do you remember that one? Was there some truth in that series of articles?

On weightlessness: it’s not real weightlessness at all. Any more than you’re really “falling” off the launch bay in ‘Star Tours’. It’s an effect done by tricking your body. Essential (oops, according to rumors), they’ll just throw the centrifuge into neutral for a few brief moments and that produces a very realistic sensation. Since very, very few people going to Disney World have been in space or been tossed across the sky in a jet fighter, most people will “think” it feels like being weightless. But it’s just really the combination of what your eyes are telling your brain, what your brain is expecting to feel, and a natural muscle reaction to being squished by centripetal forces for a few minutes.

You can get the same response at home. Stand in the middle of a doorway and press with your arms against both sides of the door frame as hard as you can for two minutes. Really press hard to tire out your muscles. When you finally stop, your arms will “magical” float in the air and they’ll feel weightless. Anyone who has had a cast removed knows the same sensation. The ‘Mission: Space’ ride system is just a flight simulator and the military’s had thirty years to refine all the tricks.

The Space Pavilion had always been planned as one of the premier attractions for EPCOT Center. Being that space is the center point for the future and since WDW is so close to the Kennedy Space Center, it all kind of made sense. The original pavilion had always been a pre-mission “pre-show” leading to a ride simulation journey into space. You would arrive at a space colony (the bulk of the pavilion) filled with other attractions (think ‘Wonders of Life’). The goal was to offer several hours of exploring the complex.

Cut to Space: The Shrinking Frontier. Eisner refused to spend any of his money on the attraction and General Motors’ experience with ‘Test Track’ sacred away anyone willing to drop major bucks on a new attraction at WDW. The pavilion was hacked down into nothing but the ride element to save money (and to make sure the guests are out buying plush). One rumor claims the average guest will spend less than fifteen minutes inside the ‘M:S’ building (that’s line, pre-show, spin cycle, and exit through the shop).

There will be a minor exhibit of movie props and NASA material at the attraction’s exit, very similar to the exhibit in Disneyland. In fact, it might actually BE the Disneyland exhibit to save even more money. Of course, one of showcase elements here in Disneyland is an area that lets you listen to a microphone catching the winds blowing on the surface of Mars. Well, it would have. The probe that the exhibit talks about actually crashed on the planet over four years ago and Disney hasn’t bothered to change or remove its exhibit.

You get the feeling that the Disney suits just don’t care anymore...

(P.S. Before the “small is good business sense” crowd starts in – according to rumor Disney spent more on making and marketing the disastrous ‘Mission to Mars’ movie than they spent on ‘Mission: Space’. Which is a better use of those funds – a movie that tanked in the theaters in two weeks or a full-fledged pavilion that will attract guests for twenty years? Even in weightlessness it’s still possible to be penny wise and pound foolish.

If Space really is the 15 minute experience described (including queue effects), we'll know soon enough.

Maybe I can get a plush asteroid belt?

Still eagerly awaiting the Atlantis plush line
...ah, but you forget that Atlantis was an attempt to go after the 'tweener market that Disney has trouble attracting. Hence all that neat death in the flick, and the alledged Mignola-esque artwork to go after the early teen comic fanboys (and honestly, I didn't see the resemblance, even though I was looking for it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are subtleties of Mignola's gift for capturing movement on a static page that go far beyond drawing fingers and jaws with a t-square... and were never likely to translate well to animation. Who needs a gift to capture movement with moving images? But I digress...).

The Atlantis "plush" was all those action figures that were available at half price at the Disney Stores about a week after the movie opened... and for less than that at Wal-Mart one more week later.

Jeff

PS: A lot of folks don't realize that "PLUSH" in "PLUSH shops" is actually a Presslerian acronym for "Push Lotsa Useless $#!+, Hard."

Oh no not another contributor to our litigious society...
Scoop are you also one of the ones that wants to do anything possible to prevent the economy from improving?

JeffJ- I know many disagree, but I'm one who thought Atlantis was a decent film. As you said, it is more of an adventure story, and therefore more for tweeners and action-seeking adults. But I think Disney did a poor job getting their point across. The use of a Styx song in the trailers helped, but that just wasn't enough. If they are going to make such a departure from their traditional faire under the Disney Animation banner, they need to hit us over the head with the fact that it is different before the film ever hits the screen. I just don't think they did enough here. ENG also had marketing issues.

L&S has me somewhat confused at this point. I'm hearing PG rating, and they are using AC/DC in the trailers, which makes me think they are again aiming for an audience a little off from their traditional target. However, the theme is the importance of family, and it does have a cute (?) "plushable" character, so I'm not sure. Still, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

But back to the point... I've just been making a plush comment after some of AV's posts because:

1- He makes a plush comment in every post longer than 2 paragraphs. ;)

2- He's said that nothing gets done (movies, attraction re-do's, etc) without a plush tie in. I just like pointing out that there was no such plush tie-in with Atlantis. Using your definition of plush, however, it would qualify. But I just think its hard to use the blanket "plush" criticism. Disney took a chance with Atlantis. It didn't work out as well as they had hoped, but I don't see how one could accuse them of making Atlantis because they thought they could sell a lot of plush. They could have taken a more traditional route if that was their motivation.

They tried something different, which is at least part of what many criticize them for.

As for Space, I think your approach makes the most sense:

...there's really nothing for it but to wait and see, at the moment.

If it is just a fun ride with a merchandise store at the end, I too will be disappointed.

Mr. Scoop, your skepticism is naturally warranted. After all the nay saying was swept aside by the stunning announcements at the 100th Birthday press event, seeing the graceful spires of the dragon’s keep rise so dramatically over the massive Beastly Kingdom expansion or that special project now under construction on the shores near the Magic Kingdom – it’s only naturally not to believe that corporate plans could never change, that contingencies may not be needed, and that “WDI’s #1 priority” means the same thing as “Mike says build it”. Why even the stunning success of the Pop Century Resort shows that you can’t judge any project by its plans. You have to BUILD it before you decide if it’s good or not; all those drawings and blueprints are just so much marketing material.

As for the size and scope of ‘Mission: Space’, check with the good folks over on WDWMagic.com at http://www.wdwmagic.com/space_pavilion.htm. About half way down the page there is a very good overhead shot of the ‘M:S’ construction zone. The site is roughly the same area as the dome portion of ‘Wonders of Life’ and you can clearly see the concrete pads for the four centrifuge units. Keep in mind that all the ride equipment, queues and backstage stuff (offices, maintenance, sponsor’s lounge, etc.) have to fit in the building too.

As for a “souped up Body Wars”, well I guess if it fits. It’s a little more complicated but it is “just” a simulator. And there’s nothing wrong with that…

P.S. – as for “file sharing”, I’m really beginning to think it’s a new fact of life that the entire entertainment industry is going to have to get used to. Much like publishing did with the Xerox machine.

Do we dare grant Paul Plushler such broad powers?? :)

Lets just say that I wouldn't let him do my tax returns. There is plenty of room for other things in the show building. I'll copy the picture to my desktop and I'll play around with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter