Mission Space

Disneybrenda

Earning My Ears
Can anyone who has been on Mission Space tell me what ride at Disny it is most similar too. My husband and I are trying to decide if we are brave enough to ride it. We love Star Tours and Test Track, don't care for Space Mountain and RnR. Love Splash Mountain and Big Thunder also.

from what my DH tells me...there is nothing else like Mission Space.

that's the thing - he was absolutley speechless after getting off the ride the first time. (I won't ride it.) so getting ANY info outta him is hard...he literally can't describe it.

but he did tell me this - since I hate "take off" in airplanes....I really wouldn't like "take off" in Mission Space either.

I think people can tell you what they felt in the ride...but they can't compare it to anything else really...

:jester: :jester: :jester:

Just rode it last week, several times.................

I did fine...........my wife, not so good and she is a real ride person..........she was quite queasy afterward.......

Hard to compare it to other rides.................similar to star tours in that you have a video screen in front of you that gives you the visual effect of the ride, yet similar to RNR in that you sink into your seat once your ship blasts off.....and mind you, you do get some pretty good "G's"................and I would compare the feeling in my stomach to the feeling you get when you are "free falling" on TOT.....................

My take on this ride is that all the talk about getting sick, etc makes people more nervous prior to getting on than they need to be.........

At first its a little difficult if you are claustrophobic because the video screen comes down to about 2 feet in front of you.......I compared it to being in an MRI tube (if you have ever been in one of those)..........

All in all, the ride is not long enough that you have to worry about being in there too long................don't get too worked up beforehand with all the "Hype" and you'll be fine..........I just think my wife psyched her self out prior to getting on......................

anything like Mission Space at Disney or any other theme park. That is one of the reasons people have a tough time describing it. That, and since you can't see any of the mechanics during the ride....you are totally into the themeing of being on a space craft.

I did feel a bit light-headed afterwards and just a bit queasy. It went away fairly quickly but well worth it!!!!

I agree with Gluman11 - it's easiet to describe as a combination. It's RnR in the Gs you feel - but you don't turn upside down and it's not LOUD and dark. It's definitely clautrophobic the first time you ride it. The harness is bulky (don't pull it down too tight because it won't go back up again) and the video/control panel comes down to you (about 2 ft from your face like Gluman11 said). You bump around, but not as bad as Star Tours.

If you focus on the video screen and get into the action you won't have any problem. I think people get scared when the harness comes down - they feel trapped. Then the video panel comes down - clastrophobic. Then the video screen gets filled with the clouds for take-off and the Gs hit. Getting out of the Earth's atmosphere is the worst part! :earseek:

After the first time, I wasn't sure I wanted to do it again. The second time was MUCH easier because I knew what to expect. The cabin seemed larger and the effects less dramatic. I don't think I could ride it twice in a row, but I'll definitely ride it the next time we go to Epcot.::yes::

This sounds like a lot of fun. I didn't think that I would be able to ride this beause I'm bringing my son who is not tall enough, but my sister decided to meet us in Orlando and now we can switch off to ride it.

I took a Bonine today to see if it makes me sleepy. I do feel a little tired, but will take a bonine the night before going to Epcot to help my tummy on the ride. I've never really gotten motion sickness, but some spinning rides leave me a little sick feeling.

T&B

Tigger&Belle - I bet you would never know you were spinning if you didn't already know that's how they do it! I HATE spinning rides - I couldn't believe I had been spinning during the ride. It's very cool!

Diathoney, thanks for the info. I'm going to bring the bonine with me in case I really think I need it, but will not take it otherwise. It made me so sleepy. My daughter was trying to talk to me about her class schedule for next year (senior year) and I kept yawning and could not keep my eyes open. I seriously needed toothpicks to prop them open with. I'm glad that the spinning isn't obvious. I'll look forward and not freak out.

:teeth:

T&B

I agree - don't let the numerous warnings scare you before you get onto the ride, that made me more nervous than anything else! I don't care for spinning rides at all and I would've never known that we were spinning unless they had told me. All 8 of us in our group went on (ages 6-34) and none of us had any problems afterwards!

Remember this is not a ride that is on a track so there are no drops that are like a roller coaster type ride. There is one part of the ride, which I guess you can feel as if you are dropping, this is the part where it is like a simulator ride and this part is somewhat comparable to the feeling you get in Star Tours, but keep in mind that the whole experience is very different than a regular simulator ride. My experience was that at the weightlessness part I almost felt as if I was getting gas in the dentists office, that wierd feeling you get, and it didn't leave me even in the "simulator" part.

Thanks twigs
that clears up things a little, it sounds very exciting i must say. So i should give it a try i guess then.
Linda

I think mission to space is the best ride. I think with all the warneings they give you a lot ofpeople are away. It feels like what I imagine a lift off to space would feel like. It is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter