mixed use vs DVC only?

I think it is possible that people will want to buy Riviera in the future bc they can’t stay there on their resale points, especially as more and more resale buyers enter the system. But IMO I don’t think DVC will allow resale Riviera/Reflections/new resorts to trade into each other; I think they’re more likely to charge a conversion fee to let all those resale purchasers trade out. Again, just my opinion (hope)!

These are two threads I know of where people were guessing about Riviera resales:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...viera-resale-contracts-listing-price.3744608/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/multi-site-pos-revision-dated-01-19-19.3734585/ This is a long one! But it could give you an idea about the specific resale restrictions. The first post has the revised amendment that outlines the restrictions.

I think right now there’s a lot of uncertainty about resales (at all the resorts). We all have our guesses, but who knows...

I also started a thread in DVC Resorts for Riviera: https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...-rooms-gone-for-opening-day-12-16-19.3750009/

I am definitely in Group 2. Until we bought RIV last month, I was all "RESALE OR DIE" (not really) and would have been happy staying at only my home resorts (BLT and VGF) if I were limited to them forevermore. Ironically, we had been considering DVC since 2015 but didn't buy until 2017 because we wanted to make sure we would be ok financially. Also, some of our priorities changed. Ironically, if we'd bought before the 2016 restrictions, we probably would have bought at BWV and we never would have considered RIV, if we had an EP/HS home resort already. Fast forward to 2018/2019 and I don't love either BCV/BWV enough to pay a premium for their location and <25 years left.

I also started a thread in DVC Resorts for Riviera: https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...-rooms-gone-for-opening-day-12-16-19.3750009/

I am definitely in Group 2. Until we bought RIV last month, I was all "RESALE OR DIE" (not really) and would have been happy staying at only my home resorts (BLT and VGF) if I were limited to them forevermore. Ironically, we had been considering DVC since 2015 but didn't buy until 2017 because we wanted to make sure we would be ok financially. Also, some of our priorities changed. Ironically, if we'd bought before the 2016 restrictions, we probably would have bought at BWV and we never would have considered RIV, if we had an EP/HS home resort already. Fast forward to 2018/2019 and I don't love either BCV/BWV enough to pay a premium for their location and <25 years left.

Fair enough! I also love VGF but DH cannot understand why they don’t build a drawbridge over that canal that houses the EWP barges and finish the walkway to MK lol. BLT is one of the places I’d like to do a short/split stay, but it just doesn’t give me the happy owner vibes that Beach Club does. That is something that DVC has done well, offering so many different resort personalities and options.

I'll be interested in hearing your perspective!
So I was able to look at the rooms quickly this past weekend for DRR. Here are my first impressions of the rooms

Studio
  • Living area didn't seem that much larger than the CCV model studio, but likely because it appears the depth is the same and a lot of the extra square footage is taken up in the bathroom space.
  • The bathroom is very nice. I'm partial to showers so I like that the unit has both, which is a benefit over CCV's setup in it being booking categories
  • The murphy bed is amazing for replacement of the sleeper sofa
  • I didn't find the rooms to be any less Disney then the VGF room I was staying in. In fact I noticed more Disney elements in the room at DRR than I did at VGF. Though both are remarkably similar decor wise
  • It did feel like the living area at DRR was smaller than that at PVB for some reason, but I didn't have a direct comparison that weekend just going off memory at the time.
1 Bed
  • Huge, remarkably so
  • I liked that the bedroom wasn't eating up the living space but that was my personal preference
  • I wasn't a fan of the bathroom split up (access from living room and bedroom). I preferred the setup at CCV more were it seemed to be separate from both location but accessible by both. The bathroom at DRR was very much a private bath off the bedroom that a door was just slapped onto (at least it felt that way). It might have been the feature of the split sliding doors that made it seem this way
  • Murphy bed same as above. It was broken that day because (different than the story someone else was given in that parts went to the resort) someone pulled it down really hard and maintenance was fixing it later that day. Seems concerning but they are used at POP and AoA so I suspect they are durable and it was a fluke.
Comparison to VGF I actually like the room at DRR much better. Perhaps it was because the VGF is desperately in need of refurb: carpet seams splitting, furniture scratched, bunk bed loose, sofa very dirty, etc. I didn't find the VGF to be higher quality in any measurable fashion from CCV or DRR (perhaps those two came out ahead for me a tiny bit). I also really couldn't find much Disney in the VGF rooms (aside from a few touches like the mural on the bunk bed) so the DRR rooms didn't seem much different in that regard (they did have the more obvious pictures on the walls). Though I will say VGF is likely going to edge out DRR in views of the balcony by a landslide. Honestly my feelings was that VGF was a stand out DVC resort only nice because it was attached to the GF hotel side and allowed me to stay significantly cheaper than a cash room there (so gave an air of exclusivity). So the appeal was really staying in the "flagship" hotel of WDW cheap, but the villa rooms when judged by themselves weren't much different than PVB, CCV, and DRR in terms of Disney touches, build quality; it really was location at GF essentially for me. This was just my opinions and certainly will be different than others. Each resort (VGF and DRR) has significant benefits and appealed to me for different reasons. Plus it's good that VGF is up for a soft goods refurb in 2ish years.

• Perhaps it was because the VGF is desperately in need of refurb: carpet seams splitting, furniture scratched, bunk bed loose, sofa very dirty, etc.
We were at VGF in April and our room had none of that. It looked very good. As happens in all the resorts there gets to be rooms that are beat up more than others. I do wish Disney (and I've had it on the hotel side too which is why I'm going to say Disney, not DVC) did more individual room care if things get beat up or in disrepeair. But that's hit or miss. My studio in November also was in good shape.

• Murphy bed same as above. It was broken that day because (different than the story someone else was given in that parts went to the resort) someone pulled it down really hard and maintenance was fixing it later that day. Seems concerning but they are used at POP and AoA so I suspect they are durable and it was a fluke.
My guess? The guides are making up reasons why it is broken and can't be opened as they see fit. That thing has been broken almost since the models open.

So I was able to look at the rooms quickly this past weekend for DRR. Here are my first impressions of the rooms

Studio
  • Living area didn't seem that much larger than the CCV model studio, but likely because it appears the depth is the same and a lot of the extra square footage is taken up in the bathroom space.
  • The bathroom is very nice. I'm partial to showers so I like that the unit has both, which is a benefit over CCV's setup in it being booking categories
  • I didn't find the rooms to be any less Disney then the VGF room I was staying in. In fact I noticed more Disney elements in the room at DRR than I did at VGF. Though both are remarkably similar decor wise
  • It did feel like the living area at DRR was smaller than that at PVB for some reason, but I didn't have a direct comparison that weekend just going off memory at the time.
1 Bed
  • Huge, remarkably so
  • I liked that the bedroom wasn't eating up the living space but that was my personal preference
  • I wasn't a fan of the bathroom split up (access from living room and bedroom). I preferred the setup at CCV more were it seemed to be separate from both location but accessible by both. The bathroom at DRR was very much a private bath off the bedroom that a door was just slapped onto (at least it felt that way). It might have been the feature of the split sliding doors that made it seem this way
Comparison to VGF I actually like the room at DRR much better. Perhaps it was because the VGF is desperately in need of refurb: carpet seams splitting, furniture scratched, bunk bed loose, sofa very dirty, etc. I didn't find the VGF to be higher quality in any measurable fashion from CCV or DRR (perhaps those two came out ahead for me a tiny bit). I also really couldn't find much Disney in the VGF rooms (aside from a few touches like the mural on the bunk bed) so the DRR rooms didn't seem much different in that regard (they did have the more obvious pictures on the walls). Though I will say VGF is likely going to edge out DRR in views of the balcony by a landslide. Honestly my feelings was that VGF was a stand out DVC resort only nice because it was attached to the GF hotel side and allowed me to stay significantly cheaper than a cash room there (so gave an air of exclusivity). So the appeal was really staying in the "flagship" hotel of WDW cheap, but the villa rooms when judged by themselves weren't much different than PVB, CCV, and DRR in terms of Disney touches, build quality; it really was location at GF essentially for me. This was just my opinions and certainly will be different than others. Each resort (VGF and DRR) has significant benefits and appealed to me for different reasons. Plus it's good that VGF is up for a soft goods refurb in 2ish years.

Thank you for the detailed review. I have been on the lookout for a VGF add on but I must admit I like the rooms themselves at DRR quite a bit more. On some level that is expected since the VGF rooms are already 6 years old- design styles have changed a bit and VGF is almost due for a soft goods refurb. The Murphy bed is a major improvement though and VGF won't see that until 2027 unfortunately.

Besides the rooms I like everything else at VGF more- the exterior architecture, lovely grounds, monorail + boat, walking access to Poly. Tough choice. Without the resale restrictions I probably would have leaned towards DRR but that combined with a full $2 higher maintenance fee is keeping me away for now.

We were at VGF in April and our room had none of that. It looked very good. As happens in all the resorts there gets to be rooms that are beat up more than others. I do wish Disney (and I've had it on the hotel side too which is why I'm going to say Disney, not DVC) did more individual room care if things get beat up or in disrepeair. But that's hit or miss. My studio in November also was in good shape.
Yeah I'm sure it is a room by room basis. But I thought it was particularly bad. I did peak into another studio they were cleaning and I did instantly notice the same thing with the carpet in that room too, but couldn't judge anything else. I was quite shocked how bad it was. But the view (even for standard) was great watching the monorail go by. But of course this is wear and tear so impossible to know if DRR will age better than any resort. I actually suspect CCV ages the best of the newer resorts since it avoided the carpet and added shower doors instead of curtains (just a lot less soft goods which age much quicker).

Once the rehab of the rooms occur I'm fairly certain the rooms will be right up my alley and will love them.
My guess? The guides are making up reasons why it is broken and can't be opened as they see fit. That thing has been broken almost since the models open.
They could actually open it when I was there they just wouldn't let me sit on it or anything. I was able to try out the studio room's though. I am not really too concerned on this being broken as I'm sure something has happened as I haven't heard too much about issues with the one's at AoA or Pop.
Besides the rooms I like everything else at VGF more- the exterior architecture, lovely grounds, monorail + boat, walking access to Poly. Tough choice. Without the resale restrictions I probably would have leaned towards DRR but that combined with a full $2 higher maintenance fee is keeping me away for now.
I do like the grounds of VGF a lot. It is beautiful but as I said the appeal for me at VGF was that attachment to GF and nothing about the rooms jumped out as unique, which is a common critique of DRR's rooms too.

They could actually open it when I was there they just wouldn't let me sit on it or anything. I was able to try out the studio room's though. I am not really too concerned on this being broken as I'm sure something has happened as I haven't heard too much about issues with the one's at AoA or Pop.

Yes, same thing in April.

Studio
1 Bed
  • Huge, remarkably so

THANK YOU for your detailed response! I found I had the same takeaways as you. The murphy bed instead of the sofa bed is a HUGE plus to me, as is the split bath. I haven't stayed in Poly (and will have a hard time paying the same # of points as for a VGF studio) so I have nothing to add about overall room size. I did feel that both RIV and VGF made good use of the space in the studios. I also was very surprised that I felt like VGF felt a little run down. Granted, last time I was at VGF was 2017 so the rooms had seen a lot less wear and tear. I also love love love the main GF building, I love the vibe there, and we have spent many hours over the last few trips listening to the pianist and generally relaxing. The videos of RIV that we saw on the tour, on big new screens, make me hopeful that there will be a public area of the resort that feels that way too.

Thank you for the detailed review. I have been on the lookout for a VGF add on but I must admit I like the rooms themselves at DRR quite a bit more. On some level that is expected since the VGF rooms are already 6 years old- design styles have changed a bit and VGF is almost due for a soft goods refurb. The Murphy bed is a major improvement though and VGF won't see that until 2027 unfortunately.

I think you just need to buy both.

I actually suspect CCV ages the best of the newer resorts since it avoided the carpet and added shower doors instead of curtains (just a lot less soft goods which age much quicker).
I really liked the barn doors of CCV. I think the "wood" floor in the LR at RIV (did they have it at CCV too?) will also help the rooms stay looking fresher for longer. I just watched Webmaster Pete's show (and read his blog) where he talked about his stay at BLT and going along the edges of the carpet to see how yucky it is.

I really liked the barn doors of CCV. I think the "wood" floor in the LR at RIV (did they have it at CCV too?) will also help the rooms stay looking fresher for longer.
Copper creek only is hard flooring through out. Doesn’t have carpet anywhere (except a throw rug)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!