MK/Fantasyland “Early Morning Magic” (EMM) (Thread Now Closed, See New MK EMM FAQ Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GADisneyDad14

Disney Resorts Board
MK/Fantasyland Early Morning Magic ("EMM") FAQs & Discussion

:welcome:

NOTE: On 9/26/18, Disney announced a format change, including a new breakfast location and additional Fantasyland attractions. This new format begins 12/2/2018. The information below has been updated to reflect the new format

EMM vs EMH – A Quick Clarification
Although similar acronyms and easy to confuse, Early Morning Magic (EMM) is NOT the same as Extra Magic Hours (EMH). A quick explanation:
  • Early Morning Magic (EMM), the subject of this thread, is a separately ticketed up-charge (aka, paid) event that allows pre-park opening access to select Fantasyland attractions and and a breakfast.
  • Extra Magic Hours (EMH) are the long-standing Disney-offered benefit where certain parks have extra hours available to WDW resort and otherwise eligible guests. This thread is NOT about EMH. EMM in no way impacts MK EMHs.

What is EMM?
You can read the full event description and details from Disney here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/early-morning-magic/

In short, EMM is….

• A separately ticketed pre-park opening event which allows unlimited access to select Fantasyland attractions from 7:45AM-9:00AM.
  • Open rides include:
    • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (7DMT)
    • Peter Pan’s Flight (PP)
    • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (WTP)
    • Beginning 12/2/2018, it will also include:
    • Princess Fairytale Hall
    • "it's a small world"
    • Mad Tea Party
    • Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid
    • Note 1: In my experience the Carousel has also been open during EMM.
  • The event includes a breakfast buffet served at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe from 8:00AM-10:00AM.

When Is EMM Offered?

• Historically, it has been select Sundays and Tuesdays, but the exact dates are somewhat erratic.
  • See Post #2 for a list of past and current EMM dates.

When Does EMM Become Available For Booking?

• The pattern of when dates are released for booking at times can be inconsistent.
  • Sometimes they are released in batches a few months in advance, sometimes at the 180 day mark, sometimes in unpredictable and unexplained patterns.
  • Many posters on this thread help "keep watch" for dates when EMM "gets off" a 180 day booking pattern.

How Much Does EMM Cost?
  • New Pricing starting 12/2/2018:
  • Adults (9+): $79 + tax
  • Children (3-9): $69 + tax
  • The full cost is due at the time of booking
  • There are no AP, DVC, or other discounts available for EMM
  • Note: The prior cost since event April 2016 event inception was $69+tax for adults; $59+ for children.

Do I Need MK Park Tickets To Experience EMM?
  • Yes, you must have an EMM reservation AND valid MK park admission.
  • Your MagicBand (or other ticket media) will be scanned at the tapstyles before entering the park that morning.

What Is The EMM Cancellation Policy?
  • There is a 1 day cancellation policy for EMM.
  • The full price will be forfeited if a guest cancels within 1 day or no shows for the reservation.
  • Note: There is language on Disney's EMM page that says "tickets are nonrefundable" - this is NOT accurate. If you go through the booking process and read the actual terms/conditions, it notes the 1 day cancellation policy.

How Do I Book EMM?

How Does It Work When I Arrive?
  • Disney has some pretty decent info on the “Know Before You Go” part of the EMM info page.
  • I would recommend arriving at the MK front entrance at/by 7:30AM(ish) at the latest. With travel time inconsistencies related to getting to the MK in the morning, you may want to play it safe and aim for earlier.
  • When you arrive at the MK front entrance, EMM check-in is (usually) all the way to the left.
  • This is also the same area where PPO ADR guests will be checking-in.
  • EMM guests are given wristbands to identify themselves.
  • You then proceed to the tapstyles where you tap/scan your park admission.
  • You are then held in the area in front of the gift shop just to the left outside of the entrance tunnel under the train station.
  • Both PPO ADR and EMM guests are all held in this same area – you’ll all be mixed together at this point.
  • At 7:45AM(ish), you’ll be let in and can proceed directly to Fantasyland (a CM in the hub area will likely point you in the right direction.
  • Repeated for emphasis - you are let in the front gate at around 7:45AM. The time walking from the front gate to Fantasyland does eat into to the published 7:45AM-9:00AM ride time.
  • While it’s tempting to want to stop and get some Main Street/Castle pictures, you’ll likely not want to waste too much time as the clock is ticking at this point – any time you spend on Main Street/Castle pictures is going to eat into your ride time.
  • In my experience PhotoPass photographers have been out on Main Street at this time, but YMMV here as well because patterns can change.

How Many Tickets Are Sold For EMM?
  • Exact figures are not published / made available, so we don't really know for sure.

How Are Ride Lines?
  • In my experience….
    • PP and WTP are, for the most part, consistent straight walk-ons
    • 7DMT is the obvious more attractive draw
  • 7DMT waits can vary…
    • At best it’ll be walk on or close to walk on
    • At worst, 10ish min wait, in my experience (note, In my last few EMMs, I have experienced early lines that go back to around the FP cave entrance. While the line moves, it can eat up minutes. My advice would be to do other rides first then go to 7DMT later in the event.)
  • You do have to get off and then get back on the rides, no continuous riding.
  • Generally speaking, 7DMT lines are longer at the beginning of the event and then trail off towards the end

How Is The Breakfast?
  • Prior to the 12/2/2018 format change, breakfast has been served at Pinocchio Village Haus.
  • Generally speaking, while the food is typical "Disney buffet" style - it tends to get relatively positive reviews.
  • TBD if the food in the new format at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe will maintain the same guest satisfaction level.

What Should I Do When The Park Opens At 9AM?
  • Around 9AM, you only have a minute or so before the rope drop crowd hits Fantasyland and the calm/serenity you had enjoyed for an hour immediately vanishes.
  • Breakfast is served until 10AM, so many people will dart off to other parts of the park to hit a few rides while waits are really low, then come back for breakfast.
  • While the breakfast does end at 10AM, in my experience they don’t immediately clear the items or kick you out… so you have a bit of flexibility here. Although that doesn’t mean you can show up at 10:15AM and expect to be fed.

Does EMM Sell Out?
  • To my knowledge, no one keeps accurate track of this level of detail so it's an impossible question to answer factually.
  • Anecdotally, the event doesn’t tend to immediately sell out….but dates can and certainly do sell out… so if it’s important to you, best to go ahead and book.
  • Like with any ADR or special event, people change plans all the time – so if EMM appears to be sold out on your preferred date, keep checking periodically.

Does EMM Affect Park Crowds?
  • In my opinion, no – the EMM ticket count is just too small to materially impact park crowds in any sort of noticeable way for non-EMM guests.

Additional questions or comments? Let me know and I'll add them to this post.

Thanks!

Last edited:
EMM Past & Current Date Information

"When is EMM offered" is perhaps the #1 most common question for many folks trying to plan their visit. The quick answer is that - since inception - the pattern of when Disney has offered EMM has been a bit all over the place, as you can see in the tables below.

EMM1Q.png
EMM2Q.png
EMM3Q.png
EMM4Q.png

NOTE: Sunday 10/14/2018, Sunday 10/21/2018, Sunday 10/28/2018, Sunday 11/11/2018, and Sunday 11/25/2018 were originally released as bookable EMM dates. As of late July 2018, DISers reported Disney contacting guests with reservations letting them know EMM will not be taking place on those dates. Speculation is that park hours on those dates will eventually be moved to 8am.

Check back here for updates as we get additional information.

Last edited:

@GADisneyDad14
THANK YOU!
We've been to 2 EMM at MK and 1 at HS, we also found the food and staff at PVH to be excellent!
We actually arrived 15 minutes late our 2nd time at MK and still got to ride 7DMT ELEVEN TIMES in a row, PP, and WtP each once, made it onto BTMRR twice. (We were first in line, and went immediately back in line.) It was so worth it!
Huge disappointment that they are no longer doing HS, although the buffet kind of sucked, spending our morning at Star Tours was incredibly worth it. DH and DGS spent a lot of time on TSMM as well. (not my fav...)
Our dates were weekdays in mid December last year, so that may have been why we were so lucky to get so many attractions done.
We will absolutely do it again, although now that the word is out, methinks it will be more crowded next time.
Sparkle on!

Also, I tried to get tickets for our upcoming trip and there is absolutely no EMM the week of March 7 -14, 2018. (our dates are Wednesday - Tuesday) but tgat whole week is blank, Sunday - Saturday. Weird

Also, I tried to get tickets for our upcoming trip and there is absolutely no EMM the week of March 7 -14, 2018. (our dates are Wednesday - Tuesday) but tgat whole week is blank, Sunday - Saturday. Weird

I know, it's an odd missing week in the March pattern, right? I get not seeing dates around Easter, that's a no brainier. But that one week is weird. My only guess is that it's a statistically higher spring break week for a large population base?

I know, it's an odd missing week in the March pattern, right? I get not seeing dates around Easter, that's a no brainier. But that one week is weird. My only guess is that it's a statistically higher spring break week for a large population base?
Yes. I'm a Texan and that's our spring break week every year. I think it's a common spring break week in the South.

Yes. I'm a Texan and that's our spring break week every year. I think it's a common spring break week in the South.

Good to know, that’s got to be a big part of it, I would think. I wish ours was then... first week of April in 2018 for us, which is also the week after Easter this year.

Great info! Do they ever add extra dates? It’s not available at all during our March/April trip. I know it's Easter and spring break but is there any hope?

The pattern seems to be to not have it during super busy or potentially busy times. I am far from an expert but I have never noticed dates added. I think they don’t have it during busy times because they usually adjust the opening hours and have MK open earlier.

We did the HS EMM in October of 2016. I loved the option of characters it was a lot of fun. Finally worked it out trip wise and D9 and I did EMM at MK for the first time in August. There was a minor snafu with 7DMT running from the start but it ended up overall a positive experience. The 5 of us are doing it on January 28. (Yes I am doing DAH and EMM in one trip...we will be spoiled and not be able to handle MK during normal hours with typical crowds!)

The pattern seems to be to not have it during super busy or potentially busy times. I am far from an expert but I have never noticed dates added. I think they don’t have it during busy times because they usually adjust the opening hours and have MK open earlier.

We did the HS EMM in October of 2016. I loved the option of characters it was a lot of fun. Finally worked it out trip wise and D9 and I did EMM at MK for the first time in August. There was a minor snafu with 7DMT running from the start but it ended up overall a positive experience. The 5 of us are doing it on January 28. (Yes I am doing DAH and EMM in one trip...we will be spoiled and not be able to handle MK during normal hours with typical crowds!)
That makes me sad. I'd love to do this but I guess we can put the money towards another dessert party or something instead. I hadn't even heard of EMM until I'd already booked our trip. Better luck next time I guess!

But, that week in March is NOT the busiest week. It is the beginning of the spring break crazy, but each week thereafter is worse.
It IS odd...

Great info! Do they ever add extra dates? It’s not available at all during our March/April trip. I know it's Easter and spring break but is there any hope?
If your dates are late March into April there ARE dates available. There's only one week in March with no dates...
Mine....
SIGH

When I go to buy tickets it says it's a nonrefundable, nontranserable event. Up above you said you can cancel 24 hours in advance. Is this something new?

When I go to buy tickets it says it's a nonrefundable, nontranserable event. Up above you said you can cancel 24 hours in advance. Is this something new?
I've only experienced EMM as being refundable like any pre-pay ADR.

I guess Disney recently changed it to being nonrefundable to cut down on last-minute cancellations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!