MK/Fantasyland “Early Morning Magic” (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

Do these events usually sell out?
I am thinking of going in February (27th) but I am unsure how my kids are going to do with a full week of Disney... can we usually book 24-48 hours before the event? Or should I secure a booking and cancel if it doesn’t work? I don’t want to hold a spot if it prevents someone who really wants to go... but I don’t want to miss my chance either!

I remember wanting to get the TSL version for my February trip a few months ago, but made my decision two weeks before. Of course by then it was sold out.

I am thinking of going in February (27th) but I am unsure how my kids are going to do with a full week of Disney... can we usually book 24-48 hours before the event? Or should I secure a booking and cancel if it doesn’t work? I don’t want to hold a spot if it prevents someone who really wants to go... but I don’t want to miss my chance either!

While accurate records aren't possible to track... generally speaking EMM has tended not to consistently sell out with the new format that was introduced last December (that had a larger guest count). BUT, they can and do. Also for most of that time it had competition from the (arguably more popular?) TSL EMM. Since we don't have TSL EMM now, this is the only EMM option for those inclined to spend their money on such things - not sure if that will shift demand in a material way or not.

One thing to watch out for - Mardi Gras is 2/25 and that week tends to be one of the bigger "break" weeks as everyone flees the state of Louisiana and goes to WDW. Could be conditions that make a sell-out more likely.

I think I'd be inclined to book and not leave it to fate (in my opinion).

I would book it now. If you change your mind in the last 48 hours and cancel, you will help someone else who is looking for last minute tickets should it sell out.

Update: I was able to book online for EMM last night (Feb 20, party of 7) and yes, the confirmation did say I can cancel with 1 day notice. Thanks to all for your feedback!

I was surprised how busy Main Street was at 8 am. The park was nowhere near empty. Lots of people milling around the bridges.
Yes! I just watched a handful of Oct 2019 BBB YouTube videos to get up-to-date info, and many people included their walk to the castle in the video. A couple were PPO appointments, but there were still tons of people milling around. All those were BBB, CP, BOG, and CRT PPO folks, I guess? I fear we won't be able to replicate the fantastic family shot in front of the castle by Walt and Mickey's statue that is now a 16x24" portrait in my living room.

We went to EMM MK way back in 2017 (I think) and it was so empty. How many more tickets are sold now? We were able to ride 7DMT over and over and over. And would like to replicate that for what could be our last Disney trip. :(

We went to EMM MK way back in 2017 (I think) and it was so empty. How many more tickets are sold now? We were able to ride 7DMT over and over and over. And would like to replicate that for what could be our last Disney trip. :(

We don't really know the ticket count. I'd peg it in the 500-800 range, but I'm certainly no crowd counting expert and it's pretty difficult to get a true read since no one is ever really all in the same place at the same time.

To me the current version has a less intimate feel than the prior version, but you have the benefit of more rides and more things to knock of the list for a given MK day, so that's a plus.

From my experience, I'd recommend waiting for 7DMT until the back end of the time window. Many head there first which can create a line which wastes valuable time. The last two times we've done EMM we waited until 8:30am for 7DMT and could pretty much ride back to back with just a ride cycle wait time, more or less.

We don't really know the ticket count. I'd peg it in the 500-800 range, but I'm certainly no crowd counting expert and it's pretty difficult to get a true read since no one is ever really all in the same place at the same time.

To me the current version has a less intimate feel than the prior version, but you have the benefit of more rides and more things to knock of the list for a given MK day, so that's a plus.

From my experience, I'd recommend waiting for 7DMT until the back end of the time window. Many head there first which can create a line which wastes valuable time. The last two times we've done EMM we waited until 8:30am for 7DMT and could pretty much ride back to back with just a ride cycle wait time, more or less.

Thanks so much! You are a wealth of information!

Great advice for 7DMT! I would be guilty of heading there first!

Thanks so much! You are a wealth of information!

Great advice for 7DMT! I would be guilty of heading there first!

Thanks for the note!

I went back and found my post from May, here's what I said at the time: https://www.disboards.com/threads/mk-fantasyland-“early-morning-magic”-emm-faq-discussion.3713783/post-60661144

I recall seeing the 7DMT line at first (when the event started) and saying to myself "oh now, this is gonna be bad" - but then later in the event it was super easy.

We did it again in July and results were substantially similar, generally speaking.

Last fine we went was August 2018. Booked again for February 2020. Have they increased number of tickets sold since our last visit?

I am hesitant to buy this in advance as I don’t know how we will fare with early mornings on our vacation... our kids are usually early risers but I am not sure how they will do after a full Disney week...

I think I will wait till the last minute and hope for an opening! I saw that last year’s events were rarely sold out and since we are aiming for the last Thursday of February (the week after President’s week, it is Mardi Gras week which may make the crowds a little worse but there is another one on the Tuesday of Mardi Gras...) so I am crossing my fingers for last minute availability!

I am hesitant to buy this in advance as I don’t know how we will fare with early mornings on our vacation... our kids are usually early risers but I am not sure how they will do after a full Disney week...

I think I will wait till the last minute and hope for an opening! I saw that last year’s events were rarely sold out and since we are aiming for the last Thursday of February (the week after President’s week, it is Mardi Gras week which may make the crowds a little worse but there is another one on the Tuesday of Mardi Gras...) so I am crossing my fingers for last minute availability!

Always hard to plan with little ones.

FWIW, while it is true that less MK EMMs seemed to sell out in recent times given the new format, for much of that time it also had abundant DHS EMMs, which were quite popular and I'm sure siphoned off some demand from people willing to book upcharge park events. With no DHS EMM, it's worth watching to see what kind of demand we have for MK EMM going forward.

Always hard to plan with little ones.

FWIW, while it is true that less MK EMMs seemed to sell out in recent times given the new format, for much of that time it also had abundant DHS EMMs, which were quite popular and I'm sure siphoned off some demand from people willing to book upcharge park events. With no DHS EMM, it's worth watching to see what kind of demand we have for MK EMM going forward.

That’s right, I didn’t think about that!
Something to keep in mind... I will be watching closely!

Have you considered purchasing EMM and then canceling before 24 hours in advance of the event if needed? That would give you a couple days to see how your kids do. Then there’s no disappointment if you decide you want it and it’s sold out. Just a thought. For us, it’s a great way to get some favorite rides in with little wait and it saves our FP for other rides.

Have you considered purchasing EMM and then canceling before 24 hours in advance of the event if needed? That would give you a couple days to see how your kids do. Then there’s no disappointment if you decide you want it and it’s sold out. Just a thought. For us, it’s a great way to get some favorite rides in with little wait and it saves our FP for other rides.

That’s a good point
I guess I wasn’t 100% sure the tickets would be refundable since the website says otherwise... but people on this thread seem to say they had the free cancellation on the confirmation email so it’s probably safe!

That’s a good point
I guess I wasn’t 100% sure the tickets would be refundable since the website says otherwise... but people on this thread seem to say they had the free cancellation on the confirmation email so it’s probably safe!

Yes, as @GADisneyDad14 you are good. And if you're concerned about "taking up spots" that others might want when you're not 100% sure...my feeling is that if the event doesn't sell out you haven't taken up spots others can't get. And if the event does sell out, your cancellation will free up last minute spots for people who otherwise couldn't get in:) Just my $.02.

I’ve never done this ticketed event before but I’m seriously considering it for my upcoming trip to Magic Kingdom in May. The May dates were released and the day I plan to go to Magic Kingdom has Early Morning Magic. The person I’m going to Magic Kingdom with has never been to Disney World before and I’m really wanting them to get the experience of going on as many of the rides as possible at Magic Kingdom, I think starting the day with Early Morning Magic might be a great way to do that where it’s not as overwhelming with crowds at the start of the day for a person who has never been. It seems like a better experience than trying to fight crowds at rope drop and that being the first impression. Then I will use fastpass+ for the other rides the rest of the day. My only concern is us getting from Pop Century to Magic Kingdom on time, in the morning. I’m not really sure if we should rely on first bus transportation from the resort, or if we should be trying to get a taxi or something else? To make it to the MK entrance no later than 7:30am. Any advice on this? Thank you very much.

I’ve never done this ticketed event before but I’m seriously considering it for my upcoming trip to Magic Kingdom in May. The May dates were released and the day I plan to go to Magic Kingdom has Early Morning Magic. The person I’m going to Magic Kingdom with has never been to Disney World before and I’m really wanting them to get the experience of going on as many of the rides as possible at Magic Kingdom, I think starting the day with Early Morning Magic might be a great way to do that where it’s not as overwhelming with crowds at the start of the day for a person who has never been. It seems like a better experience than trying to fight crowds at rope drop and that being the first impression. Then I will use fastpass+ for the other rides the rest of the day. My only concern is us getting from Pop Century to Magic Kingdom on time, in the morning. I’m not really sure if we should rely on first bus transportation from the resort, or if we should be trying to get a taxi or something else? To make it to the MK entrance no later than 7:30am. Any advice on this? Thank you very much.
If you prefer the buses, I would try to catch a very early bus by closely watching the MK bus times in the app (although some say these times haven’t been as reliable), but also having the Lyft app up ready to request a Minnie Van (or desired service) if you’re not having luck with the bus arriving. We were able to get an early Minnie Van for TSL EMM this past spring fairly easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!