MK/Fantasyland “Early Morning Magic” (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

GADisneyDad14

Disney Resorts Board
Welcome to the "New" Magic Kingdom / Fantasyland Early Morning Magic ("EMM") FAQ & Discussion Thread!

:welcome:

NOTE: On 9/26/2018, Disney announced a format change, including a new breakfast location and additional Fantasyland attractions for EMM effective 12/2/2018. The information below has been updated to reflect the new format and will continue to be updated as we learn more about how this new setup will operate.

Thread Structure / Quick Links:

MK/Fantasyland EMM Information & FAQs
Post #2 – What is Magic Kingdom / Fantasyland EMM?
Post #3 – When Is EMM Offered? (Current / Historical EMM Date Chart)
Post #4 – When Does EMM Become Available for Booking?
Post #5 – How Much Does EMM Cost?
Post #6 – Do I Need Magic Kingdom Regular Park Tickets/Admission to Experience EMM?
Post #7 – What Is The EMM Cancellation Policy?
Post #8 – How Do I Book EMM?
Post #9 – Event Arrival Logistics / Timing
Post #10 – How are Ride Lines During EMM?
Post #11 - How Many Tickets Are Sold For EMM?
Post #12 – Breakfast Information & Details
Post #13 – What Should I Do When the Park Opens at 9AM?
Post #14 – Does EMM Sell Out?
Post #15 – Does EMM Impact Park Crowds?
Post #16 – Miscellaneous Event FAQs
Post #17 - Hold

DISer Review Posts
Post #18 - DISer MK / Fantasyland EMM Event Review Post Links

EMM vs EMH – A Quick Clarification
Although similar acronyms, Early Morning Magic (EMM) is NOT the same as Extra Magic Hours (EMH). A quick explanation:
  • Early Morning Magic (EMM), the subject of this thread, is a separately ticketed up-charge (aka, paid) event that allows pre-park opening access to select Fantasyland attractions and includes breakfast.
  • Extra Magic Hours (EMH) are the long-standing Disney-offered benefit where certain parks have extra hours available to WDW resort and otherwise eligible guests. This thread is NOT about EMH.

For reference, the original EMM FAQ & Discussion Thread (which mostly covers the event pre-12/2/2018 format change) can be found HERE.

Last edited:
Post #2 – What is Magic Kingdom / Fantasyland EMM?

You can read the full event description and details from Disney here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/early-morning-magic/

In short, EMM is….

Join Us for the 70th Anniversary of Cinderella
Get ready to have a ball during Disney Early Morning Magic when Fantasyland celebrates this Disney classic in early 2020.

From February 11 through March 3 2020, this limited-entry, early-access experience will feature a Cinderella twist! In honor of the film’s milestone anniversary in February, we’ll be inviting a few special
Characters to this royal occasion—and adding a sweet touch to our all you-care-to-enjoy breakfast.

You can also meet Cinderella herself at Princess Fairytale Hall and take a spin on the Prince Charming Regal Carrousel.

Be sure to catch this enchanting addition before the spell is broken and everything returns to the way it was before!

Last edited:
Post #3 – When Is EMM Offered? (Current / Historical EMM Date Chart)

Notes
:
  • MK/Fantasyland EMM is generally offered on select Sunday and Tuesday mornings, and recently Thursdays have been added into the mix
  • However, exact trends in when it is / is not offered have been somewhat erratic over time.
  • The table below captures current / historical MK Fantasyland EMM date information since event inception.
Most Recent Date Added Info:
  • March 2019 dates were added 12/20/2018.
  • April 2019 - 8/6/2019 dates were added 2/7/2019 with the rest of August added on added on a rolling 180-day basis.
  • 3/24/2019 Update - Sept 2019 dates which had become bookable for a brief time stopped being bookable.
  • November 2019 - March 2020 dates were added 10/1/2019 and current dates are being added on a rolling 180 day basis

Table Updated 3/7/2020
EMM-Date-Table.png

NOTE:

• Sunday 10/14/2018, Sunday 10/21/2018, Sunday 10/28/2018, Sunday 11/11/2018, and Sunday 11/25/2018 were originally released as bookable EMM dates. In late July 2018, Disney cancelled EMM for those dates and contacted guests who had booked to offer a refund or change dates. The reasons EMM was cancelled on those dates are unknown. At the time we suspected it would be due to changing park hours to 8am, but that never came to fruition.
  • September 2019 EMM dates were originally bookable, but later cancelled by Disney due to daily 7am-8am EMHs and 8am park opening from 8/28/2019-11/2/2019 in the wake of expected SWGE crowds.

Last edited:
Post #4 – When Does EMM Become Available for Booking?
  • The pattern of when dates are released for booking at times can be inconsistent.
  • Sometimes they are released in batches a few months in advance, sometimes at the 180 day mark, sometimes in unpredictable and unexplained patterns.
  • Many posters on this thread help "keep watch" for dates when EMM "gets off" a 180 day booking pattern.
  • This thread is actively kept up to date when new EMM dates are released.

Last edited:

Post #5 – How Much Does EMM Cost?

MK EMM Price Chart.png
  • Children under 3 should be included on your reservation but they will not be charged
  • The full cost is due at the time of booking
  • There are no AP, DVC, or other discounts available for EMM

Last edited:
Post #6 – Do I Need Magic Kingdom Regular Park Tickets/Admission to Experience EMM?
  • Yes, you must have an EMM reservation AND valid MK park admission.
  • Your MagicBand (or other ticket media) will be scanned at the tapstyles before entering the park that morning.

Last edited:
Post #7 - What Is The EMM Cancellation Policy?
  • There is a 1 day cancellation policy for MK/Fantasyland EMM.
  • The full price will be forfeited if a guest cancels within 1 day or no shows for the reservation.
  • Note: There is language on Disney's EMM page that says "tickets are nonrefundable" - this is NOT accurate. If you go through the booking process and read the actual terms/conditions, it notes the 1 day cancellation policy.

Last edited:

Post #9 – Event Arrival Logistics / Timing
  • Disney has some pretty decent info on the EMM info page.
  • I would recommend arriving at the MK front entrance ready to check-in at/by 7:30AM(ish) at the latest. With travel time inconsistencies related to getting to the MK in the morning, you may want to play it safe and aim for earlier.
  • When you arrive at the MK front entrance, EMM check-in is (usually) all the way to the left.
  • This is also the same area where pre-park opening breakfast (aka, PPO ADR) guests will be checking-in.
  • EMM guests are given wristbands to identify themselves.
  • You then proceed to the tapstyles where you tap/scan your park admission.
  • You are then held in the area in front of the gift shop just to the left outside of the entrance tunnel under the train station.
  • Both PPO ADR and EMM guests are all held in this same area – you’ll all be mixed together at this point.
  • At 7:45AM(ish), you’ll be let in and can proceed directly to Fantasyland (a CM in the hub area will likely point you in the right direction).
  • Repeated for emphasis - you are let in the front gate at around 7:45AM. The time walking from the front gate to Fantasyland does eat into to the published 7:45AM-9:00AM ride time.
  • While it’s tempting to want to stop and get some Main Street/Castle pictures, you’ll likely not want to waste too much time as the clock is ticking at this point – any time you spend on Main Street/Castle pictures is going to eat into your ride time.
  • In my experience, PhotoPass photographers have been out on Main Street at this time.

Last edited:
Post #10 – How are Ride Lines During EMM?
  • Generally speaking…
    • Everything except for 7DMT is, for the most part, consistent straight walk-ons or very little waits
    • 7DMT is the obvious more attractive draw
  • 7DMT waits can vary…
    • At best it’ll be walk on or close to walk on
    • At worst, 10ish min wait, in my experience (note, in my last few EMMs, I have experienced early lines that go back to around the FP cave entrance. While the line moves, it can eat up minutes. My advice would be to do other rides first then go to 7DMT later in the event.)
  • You do have to get off and then get back on the rides, no continuous riding.
  • Generally speaking, 7DMT lines are longer at the beginning of the event and then trail off towards the end

Last edited:
Post #11 - How Many Tickets Are Sold For EMM?
  • Exact figures are not published / made available, so we don't really know for sure.

Last edited:
Post #12 – Breakfast Information & Details
  • Breakfast is available from 8:00AM-10:00AM at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe.
  • Prior to the 12/2/2018 format change, breakfast had been served at Pinocchio Village Haus.
  • Disney's EMM online information describes the food options as follows:
    • "Enjoy breakfast at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café, featuring scrumptious fare such as:
      • Scrambled eggs
      • Smoked bacon
      • Sausage
      • Breakfast potatoes
      • Pancakes
      • Freshly baked pastries
      • Cheese and cured meats
      • Seasonal fruit
      • Oatmeal
      • Granola
      • Yogurt
      • Assorted juices
      • Coffee and teas"

Last edited:
Post #13 – What Should I Do When the Park Opens at 9AM?
  • Around 9AM, you only have a minute or so before the rope drop crowd hits Fantasyland and the calm/serenity you had enjoyed for an hour immediately vanishes.
  • Breakfast is served until 10AM, so many people will dart off to other parts of the park to hit a few rides while waits are really low, then come back for breakfast.
  • While the breakfast does end at 10AM, in my experience they don’t immediately clear the items or kick you out… so you have a bit of flexibility here. Although that doesn’t mean you can show up at 10:15AM and expect to be fed.

Last edited:
Post #14 – Does EMM Sell Out?
  • Sell out data is too dynamic to track accurately, so it’s an impossible question to answer factually.
  • Anecdotally, the event doesn’t tend to immediately sell out….but dates can and certainly do sell out… so if it’s important to you, best to go ahead and book.
  • Like with any ADR or special event, people change plans all the time – so if EMM appears to be sold out on your preferred date, keep checking periodically.

Last edited:
Post #15 – Does EMM Impact Park Crowds?
  • In my opinion, no – the EMM ticket count is just too small to materially impact park crowds in any sort of noticeable way for non-EMM guests.
  • Guests with PPO ADRs at Be Our Guest are impacted in that they are not allowed to ride 7DMT until the EMM event is over (approx 9AM), but you will be let in the standby line to wait.

Last edited:
Post #16 – Miscellaneous Event FAQs

Have anything you'd like to add here? Let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:
Post #18 - DISer MK / Fantasyland EMM Event Review Post Links

Up-charge events such as Early Morning Magic are expensive and many of us come to the DIS to decide if these types of things are "worth it." In my opinion, there is no better resource than the collective thoughts, opinions, and experiences of DISers who have attended EMM.

Event details and logistics tend to morph, shift, and change over time. Real-world experience posts are invaluable in helping us all keep up to date on event details and trends.

Links to in-thread review/experience posts will be posted below. Good, bad, or ugly - all event reviews and experiences are helpful.

@hdrolfe - 8/25/2019
@DeluxePrincess - 8/25/2019

@OhhBother - 8/18/2019

@4vrdreamin - 8/4/2019

@HulaHoopy - 7/30/2019

@GADisneyDad14 - 7/23/2019

@ThePearlOfTheGrotto - 7/21/2019

@dlavender - 7/16/2019

@dandemom - 7/14/2019

@Lsdolphin - 6/30/2019
@TISHLOVESDISNEY - 6/30/2019

@leiaorgana - 6/25/2019

@huckabear - 6/23/2019

@GPirate - 6/16/2019

@tookydo - 6/11/2019
@Shadet - 6/11/2019
@Kamy04 - 6/11/2019

@amyecca - 6/9/2019
@ArielSRL - 6/9/2019

@Tigerhornet - 6/4/2019

@princessebird - 6/2/2019
@Dracarys - 6/2/2019
@SJSloan - 6/2/2019

@Smrtalec33 - 5/28/2019

@GADisneyDad14 - 5/26/2019
@bperk3 - 5/26/2019

@sjb95u - 5/19/2019

@Flapdoodle - 5/14/2019
@Mellymc - 5/14/2019

@cakebaker - 5/7/2019

@DisneyDoesMyHair - 5/5/2019
@otten - 5/5/2019
@aebeauregard - 5/5/2019
@DanFromNY - 5/5/2019

@M SH - 4/28/2019
@Kdunmire6 - 4/28/2019

@tchris4 - 4/21/2019

@mainelyj - 4/14/2019

@KittyHulk13 - 4/2/2019

@DisneyAuntie12 - 3/26/2019

@ColoradoMom12 - 3/24/2019
@Nixon128 - 3/24/2019
@MousetersInc - 3/24/2019

@DisneyJac - 3/17/2019
@darly2004 - 3/17/2019

@limace - 3/12/2019
@pangyal - 3/12/2019
@AC7179 - 3/12/2019
@polynor - 3/12/2019
@WaterLinds - 3/12/2019

@mcdisneydad30 - 3/10/2019
@fairygagamother - 3/10/2019

@melliemelo - 3/5/2019
@KCSherri - 3/5/2019

@Spacecow - 3/3/2019
@Juventus - 3/3/2019

@Brett Wyman - 2/26/2019
@aimes0105 - 2/26/2019

@ConnecticutNonna - 2/10/2019

@bosspringsteen - 2/3/2019

@emilyrachael - 1/29/2019

@ems58 - 1/22/2019

@MIAMouseketeer - 12/11/2018
@Bwaymusgal - 12/11/2018
@SilSprBea - 12/11/2018

@mwheatley - 12/4/2018
@Nixon128 - 12/4/2018
@duck524 - 12/4/2018

@Tessaf - 12/2/2018
@ddog171 - 12/2/2018
@Eve & Wall-e - 12/2/2018
@Madani - 12/2/2018

For reference, a TON of DISer review links from the prior thread can be found HERE.

Last edited:
I don’t know how useful this is, but when we did EMM, they had a few of the ropes down just outside of the cave for SDMT creating a gap between the enter and exit lines. There seemed to be no problems using this as a shortcut so you didn’t have to completely exit the ride queue. I don’t know if this is normal for the event or not though.

I don’t know how useful this is, but when we did EMM, they had a few of the ropes down just outside of the cave for SDMT creating a gap between the enter and exit lines. There seemed to be no problems using this as a shortcut so you didn’t have to completely exit the ride queue. I don’t know if this is normal for the event or not though.

That's how it was for us, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!