MK Fireworks with 6 year old

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
DD and I will be at MK for one day. Planning on going to rope drop. We are staying at Saratoga Springs. I imagine by mid afternoon we will be wiped. Although, we are having lunch at CRT, so that will be some down time. I really want to see the MK fireworks with her but I'm afraid SSR is too far a trek to go back to the resort, rest, and return for fireworks. Also, how soon do you need to secure your spot to see fireworks? I'm concerned about her willingness to stay put in one spot with me and DH won't be with us, so we can't take turns going with her elsewhere to break up the wait. Should we just hold off on the fireworks until she is older? Are there any other tips as how we could keep energy up for rope drop through fireworks? We will be there Feb. 28th so at least the fireworks are at 8, not 9. DD usually goes to bed at 8/8:30. Also, next day is non park day. Thank you!

Unless you have a specific spot you want to grab to watch the fireworks, you can easily grab a spot about 15-20 min prior. It's going to be packed but you'll be able to find plenty of spots. If you want a specific spot then that's when I'd arrive close to 60 min or more prior to start

Or you can go to a dessert party, but those are quite expensive. You would have a reserved place to watch the fireworks and you could have dessert either before or after the fireworks.

I would recommend doing your regular park touring until about 20 minutes before. You can easily see fireworks from many places within the park we watched from the bridge between Tomorrowland/Fantasyland a few months ago and it was great! If you don’t have to be front and center you will easily be able to see fireworks with your daughter!

I wonder if you could just have a relaxing early evening instead of going back to the resort? We've done that. Ride and walk a ton in the morning, have some lunch, ride a bit more, then have a leisurely rest of the day just browsing gift shops with no speed, sitting around eating ice cream, watching a show... just easy things. The last time we watched the fireworks we did find a spot fairly early and we sat and ate hot dogs and fries for dinner while waiting. Just another option if you don't want to go back and forth. We usually do stay at the parks all day because of time lost traveling back and forth, but we also do lots of slower paced things because everyone would crash if we tried to keep up a fast pace all day.

Honestly at 6 I'd expect a child could go all day with down time in the parks.
Yes I'd say its a bit far to go back to your resort mid day but that's just me.
Unless there is some special spot you like there's no reason to stand around for hours.
Just be in the area like 15 minutes prior. A 6 year old should be able to handle 15 minutes.

We were there last year with my 5.5 and 2.5 year old. On the night we did the MK fireworks we did MK through lunch and then went back to the hotel to swim and have dinner at Narcosse's before going back into the park. We rode Buzz Lightyear, the Weeway and then grabbed some cookies from one of the stores before grabbing a place along Mainstreet about 20 minutes before. The biggest tip I can give you, is that even if you start staking out a spot 30-45 minutes beforehand minutes before tons of people will flood the area and be standing in front and all around you. Our experience is that there are always some people that will come out of nowhere and crowd you. I ended up picking up and holding toddler the whole time and my husband did the same with my older one because even though we were standing at the back of Mainstreet with no one around us that night----several people came and stood right in front of us less than 5 minutes before so there wasn't a chance they could see the castle.

We were there last year with my 5.5 and 2.5 year old. On the night we did the MK fireworks we did MK through lunch and then went back to the hotel to swim and have dinner at Narcosse's before going back into the park. We rode Buzz Lightyear, the Weeway and then grabbed some cookies from one of the stores before grabbing a place along Mainstreet about 20 minutes before. The biggest tip I can give you, is that even if you start staking out a spot 30-45 minutes beforehand minutes before tons of people will flood the area and be standing in front and all around you. Our experience is that there are always some people that will come out of nowhere and crowd you. I ended up picking up and holding toddler the whole time and my husband did the same with my older one because even though we were standing at the back of Mainstreet with no one around us that night----several people came and stood right in front of us less than 5 minutes before so there wasn't a chance they could see the castle.
Wow. Maybe I'll hold off then. There is no way i could physically hold daughter up. I am also apprehensive about the mad rush out of the park after the fireworks

That is a long day for a six YO. If you are going RD to park close I suggest leaving the park to relax at a monorail resort. I know you are hoping CRT will offer a respite but I find that lunch wicked loud and kind of chaotic. It's not restful for kids, IMO.

I would have lunch in the Castle, stay for the parade, and then head out to the Grand to relax in the lobby. The Grand Pianist plays every afternoon at three, and then is followed by the Grand Orchestra. Hopefully your DD can relax and unwind, and then I would have dinner at teh Grand Floridian Cafe. It is not a character meal, so it wil be a relaxing meal. Then head back to the MK to complete the night.

Or consider taking the boat to Fort Wilderness and have dinner at Trails End. That ride takes time and at that age my DGD would take a nap. We used to ride the Steam Train so she could fall asleep, but I am not sure it will be running when you visit.

That is a long day for a six YO. If you are going RD to park close I suggest leaving the park to relax at a monorail resort. I know you are hoping CRT will offer a respite but I find that lunch wicked loud and kind of chaotic. It's not restful for kids, IMO.

I would have lunch in the Castle, stay for the parade, and then head out to the Grand to relax in the lobby. The Grand Pianist plays every afternoon at three, and then is followed by the Grand Orchestra. Hopefully your DD can relax and unwind, and then I would have dinner at teh Grand Floridian Cafe. It is not a character meal, so it wil be a relaxing meal. Then head back to the MK to complete the night.

Or consider taking the boat to Fort Wilderness and have dinner at Trails End. That ride takes time and at that age my DGD would take a nap. We used to ride the Steam Train so she could fall asleep, but I am not sure it will be running when you visit.
Thank you. I think I will also be worn out. I also want to check out tom.sawyers island with her which is how I was planning on ending the day before heading back to SSR for dinner with DH. I think being rested is more.important than seeing the fireworks this year!

Thank you. I think I will also be worn out. I also want to check out tom.sawyers island with her which is how I was planning on ending the day before heading back to SSR for dinner with DH. I think being rested is more.important than seeing the fireworks this year!

WE missed them twice this trip. I really wanted to see both HEA and Christmas Wishes, but weather and rest trumped both nights. I agree that an exhausted family is not worth any event or attraction .

Our 6 year old and 4 year old did rope drop to fireworks pretty much every day last week. We did have a mid-day break between 2 and 5 back at the hotel but neither napped. 6 year old had no issues and 4 year old fell asleep in stroller on way back to hotel pretty much every night.

My kids (6 and 9) need breaks when planning a rope drop and fireworks day. It's really not bad to go back to the resort for a few hours. We typically bus back and then uber back to the park to make it faster.

If you are looking for an alternative for the evening have you considered the Hoop Dee Do?

It's a nice easy boat ride from MK. You can either beat back to MK for the bus to SSR, bus back from FW to SSR or Minnie Van.

She'd probably really enjoy the Irish dancers at Raglan but it can get loud in there, especially later but I believe the dancers start at 4 pm.

Fireworks can be viewed from the beach at the Poly too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter