MK Help Please

Rileygirl

DIS Veteran
Hi There

I have a very dear friend who is visiting Disney for the first time only for a couple of days, and her adult daughter has some mobility issues - she requires a walker. I found out they were going two days ago, and they are going over president's day weekend (just in a months time). They are staying on site for two nights, and only plan to do the MK one day. They are traveling with a niece and her 7 year old daughter.

Now, I believe they will rent a wheelchair or scooter (not exactly sure, but just due the the sheer distances that will make it a necessity?) and I want to ask - I am thinking its best to rent from an outside company so they have the wheelchair/scooter at the resort as well? Good plan?

I did read most of the stickys of information, and am trying to get a strong grasp on things that will help them on their trip - but I wondered if any of you could fast track us regarding the magic bands, and rides at the MK, any tips and tricks (can you give me any pertinent threads?)

I believe I understand that just having mobility issues will not allow you to get a DAC, that most of the lines have an accessibility line that is standby, is that correct for the Magic Kingdom? She can walk, but I don't think she will be able to stand for long periods of time, nor will she be able to walk for long distances.

Any help whatsoever will be highly appreciated - I don't have the time to do the kind of research I would want to do as they are leaving so soon. I want their experience at Disney to be so wonderful they will be wanting to go back again soon. Did I mention I don't think they have done disney?

Please show me some mercy! I am hoping to be adopted by a knowledgable disboarder or two (or three or four!) who can give me the ins and outs and things to be careful of so they have the best MK day ever.

Many thanks

Hi There

I have a very dear friend who is visiting Disney for the first time only for a couple of days, and her adult daughter has some mobility issues - she requires a walker. I found out they were going two days ago, and they are going over president's day weekend (just in a months time). They are staying on site for two nights, and only plan to do the MK one day. They are traveling with a niece and her 7 year old daughter.

Now, I believe they will rent a wheelchair or scooter (not exactly sure, but just due the the sheer distances that will make it a necessity?) and I want to ask - I am thinking its best to rent from an outside company so they have the wheelchair/scooter at the resort as well? Good plan?

I did read most of the stickys of information, and am trying to get a strong grasp on things that will help them on their trip - but I wondered if any of you could fast track us regarding the magic bands, and rides at the MK, any tips and tricks (can you give me any pertinent threads?)

I believe I understand that just having mobility issues will not allow you to get a DAC, that most of the lines have an accessibility line that is standby, is that correct for the Magic Kingdom? She can walk, but I don't think she will be able to stand for long periods of time, nor will she be able to walk for long distances.

Any help whatsoever will be highly appreciated - I don't have the time to do the kind of research I would want to do as they are leaving so soon. I want their experience at Disney to be so wonderful they will be wanting to go back again soon. Did I mention I don't think they have done disney?

Please show me some mercy! I am hoping to be adopted by a knowledgable disboarder or two (or three or four!) who can give me the ins and outs and things to be careful of so they have the best MK day ever.

Many thanks

Yes I would rent something off-site so that she has it the whole time ( even the resorts can be big) I would lean more to an ECV if she can drive it ( she can go to walmart and try one out there)

You are correct that if all she has is a mobility problem then a DAS will not be for her.

Yes most of the lines you can take the ECV ( and a few you can not they have wheelchair you can use of the ride line) in the line with you if there are steps ( like a splash then the CM will direct her when she get there to a diffrent path) there are a few line that are not accessible but you will get a return time to come back ( they will write it out on a little card it will be wait time - 10 minutes

the rides are BTMRR
JC
IASW ( I think)
Space

the people mover and peter pan flight they can not stop the moving walkway so she will need to be able to get on with it moving all other rides they can ( some CM do not like too) slow or stop the moving walkway.

I do not want to be discouraging but unfortunately, President's Day weekend is an extremely busy time so you should make sure they understand just how crowded it is going to be. They will have a much better experience if they go into it already knowing about the crowd levels. If they already have admission tickets, you could make sure that they have created their My Disney Experience accounts and made their three fast passes for each day. Then make sure that they understand how to search for and make more fast passes after those are used. Also if they are planning on doing any table service restaurants, they need to make their ADRs (Advance Dining Reservations) now and not to be surprised if many restaurants are already booked up.

Whether they are staying on or off site will also factor in: Disney is quite good about accessible buses it operates- betweeen its parks, parks and Disney hotels, etc. Offsite hotels are a different story.

Many scooters can be broken into parts and put in the back of a car (the heavy piece weighs up to about 35 pounds, usually). You will need to tell us entity you are renting from if you need one that breaks into pieces.

Thank you everyone. I am a long time disboarder, and I KNOW how crowed the parks are going to be over this weekend. I have explained in detail, and am working on securing those fast passes and getting them organized for their day in the park.

I would feel confident of getting them on track for a great day in the park with all of my past experience at Disney, and through the info here on the disboards. If it was just a regular family, I would have very few concerns (other than the fact they picked a very busy time to go- and no lead time to book things - but that's a challenge that can be overcome with good planning and booking what we can)

BUT- and this is a big but, I cannot lie :>)
I am an absolute disabilities newbie! Zero knowledge and experience!! And I need help!!! And my friends daughter does not have a slight mobility issue, it's pretty substantial - it takes true grit for her to walk even a few steps- it's her sheer determination and drive that makes her use that walker.

I never even thought about those moving walkways- and that's going to be an issue as the 7 year old is going to want to do Peter Pan, but I don't think my determined girl can manage it. That would have been a go to fast pass for me if it was still available, but now it's not.

What else do I need to think about? I was thinking Columbia harbour house for lunch but now I realize I love that place because how quiet it can be upstairs even if it's busy everywhere else, and that's not going to work is it? Unless there is an elevator????

Anything that is obvious to you guys but it's a what?? For a newbie??? I am thinking that doing Disney with a disability is going to be a different beast altogether, and I don't want to lead them down the wrong path!

I am not having much luck with the search engine on the boards either...

Edited to add: they are staying onsite thank goodness so transportation will be doable.

Last edited:
Absolutely rent a scooter from outside so she can have it at the resort. The walk just from the buses to the MK entrance and scooter rental is REALLY long. She can then practice with the scooter at the resort for a bit before tackling the crowds at MK.

As you know, fastpasses will be what you can get for now. The rest you can tackle with a decent touring plan. Do you know what their plan is? Rope drop to fireworks? Later start? Early start and early end?

If planning to try to get to rope drop, leave a LOT of time if staying at a non-monorail resort. Most buses can only take 2 scooters at a time and the line on a busy morning could mean you need to wait for several buses to come and go before she can get on one, depending on the time they head out and the resort they are in.

There is an elevator backstage at CHH, but it is on the rather small size and requires CM assistance to use- it’s mostly used when there is a group having lunch.

On transportation: if stairs are an issue and the plan is to use DME, please call them and note it in the res: they can provide a bus with a lift (no charge)-if you do it in advance, it should reduce wait time).

Is the hotel reservation for an accessible room? They are specifically bookable, and are often sold out. A key piece of interest is probably the shower- Disney’s standard is a tub/shower combination that requires a step over the tub edge to get in. Roll-in showers do not have an obstacle.

You can also request a first floor room (not all accessible rooms are on the first floor). There are several other request types (eg near transportation) that you might want to consider.

On transportation: if stairs are an issue and the plan is to use DME, please call them and note it in the res: they can provide a bus with a lift (no charge)-if you do it in advance, it should reduce wait time).
My understanding is that only people utilizing mobility devices are allowed on the lift.

My understanding is that only people utilizing mobility devices are allowed on the lift.
Standing on the lift is not allowed.
If a guest can’t do the stairs, ASK what the options are. They may be able to ride up the lift in a ME wheelchair, then transfer to a seat.

We have been on the elevator at Columbia Harbor House.
It is very small - barely fit a wheelchair, one person and a CM. It is backstage, so you need to be accompanied by a CM (you are actually at the edge of the kitchen). When you are ready to leave, you need to find a CM to let you go back down, so it’s kind of a bother.
That restaurant does have a roped off area on the corner towards Liberty Square that is reserved for guests with disabilities. Sometimes it’s full. And if someone left the chain down, it will be full with people without disabilities.

Thank you for your help. Every bit counts! They are not using dme, they are driving- spending a few days at the beach before and after.

Also, thank you all for taking the time to type out these very informative responses! I know how much time it takes to type these posts out.

Some updates: hotel is booked (boardwalk) not an accessible room by their choice. They will use the pool shower they say. I got fast passes booked and I must say I was surprised at how much was available.... just about everything except space mountain.... yes, even Snow White had a few options!,,, Nice. I got them a good dinner reservation for the Saturday night ..Jiko... they will cab it over and see some of the animals before dinner.

Ok... here comes the sticky part. My girl will not take a wheelchair or scooter. She can sit on her walker and be pushed she says. She is twenty seven and very proud but also pretty tiny. My friend, her mom, is probably sixty something, with not a great back. I am very concerned. Has anybody had experience with these sit, push, and walk walkers? It's like a part of her, and she would be very uncomfortable not to have it.

The seven year old would really like to do the tomorrowland speedway, argh I hated that attraction and que.... but I wondered what your thoughts are regarding the accessibility of this attraction?

Or... I was thinking about having them all ride buzz lightyear first thing at rope drop once or twice, then splitting them up and having my girl do space mountain with the niece, and have my friend and the seven year old go do the speedway maybe. Then head up and do little mermaid, and I have some fast passes for pooh. They don't care about Peter Pan or dumbo.

I found out yesterday that the niece and seven year old had never been, but my friend and her daughter have been once before when she was a kid. Apparently they only did a couple of rides, and then rode small world nonstop because my girl liked it and they did not know what else to do! when I heard that, I was on fire to make sure I help them as much as possible!!!

A couple more questions.... how is the accessibility of the boats at boardwalk? I was thinking I might have them take a ride to the beach club for beaches and cream early lunch...

Second question... they are not thinking they will do fireworks at the mk when they are there, they feel a three quarter day at mk will be tiring enough. Can anyone suggest where a good viewing point would be for the Epcot fireworks in the boardwalk area without entering the park?

Let me know what you honestly think! I was concerned about the walker and the non accessible room but I think I understand. My girl wants to participate in as regular lifestyle as possible, no matter how difficult that may make things....

Thanks again for your help

Thank you everyone. I am a long time disboarder, and I KNOW how crowed the parks are going to be over this weekend. I have explained in detail, and am working on securing those fast passes and getting them organized for their day in the park.

I would feel confident of getting them on track for a great day in the park with all of my past experience at Disney, and through the info here on the disboards. If it was just a regular family, I would have very few concerns (other than the fact they picked a very busy time to go- and no lead time to book things - but that's a challenge that can be overcome with good planning and booking what we can)

I am an absolute disabilities newbie! Zero knowledge and experience!! And I need help!!! And my friends daughter does not have a slight mobility issue, it's pretty substantial - it takes true grit for her to walk even a few steps- it's her sheer determination and drive that makes her use that walker.

I never even thought about those moving walkways- and that's going to be an issue as the 7 year old is going to want to do Peter Pan, but I don't think my determined girl can manage it. That would have been a go to fast pass for me if it was still available, but now it's not.

What else do I need to think about? I was thinking Columbia harbour house for lunch but now I realize I love that place because how quiet it can be upstairs even if it's busy everywhere else, and that's not going to work is it? Unless there is an elevator????

Anything that is obvious to you guys but it's a what?? For a newbie??? I am thinking that doing Disney with a disability is going to be a different beast altogether, and I don't want to lead them down the wrong path!

Edited to add: they are staying onsite thank goodness so transportation will be doable.
Harbour House has an area set aside for handicapped during busy times that we have used a number of times. think I said something earlier but handicapped parking at MK is a pain. they will need to plan on having something to get daughter to gate and it is an uphill walk with no tram service. does daughter use a cane to help with walking short distances? I have found that has helped me on and off moving ramp rides. just read that they are staying on site make sure they understand about how buses will leave them at MK gate and not have to worry about getting to from parking lot to monorail or ferry no walking from parking lot

Last edited:

something that just came to me have them watch the tracks in center of street of MK as the wheels of walker can get stuck and cause person seated to fall off seat. also depending on how far pool is from room might be harder to use pool shower than they planned,

Unless they’re going to AK- and going to AKL directly from the park, I would be reluctant to go over there for dinner, if I were limited on time, and especially if there for limited nights, and were concerned about energy levels, and the potential financial impact of a last-minute reservation cancellation.

Unfortunately, you can’t see much of IllumiNations from outside Epcot. Most of the show is at water/ground level over World Showcase Lagoon. The good news is, if they have tickets, there are some good viewing areas close to the International Gateway entrance, which is pretty close to the Boardwalk and accessible via Friendship boat from the Boardwalk.

The Friendship boats are easily accessible- no step involved.

If they are staying at the BW, they can ask at the desk for the code to use Minnie Vans, Disney’s van service in partnership with Lyft- anywhere on property for $20. You use the Lyft app on your phone to request service.

If she intends to be pushed in her walker, it’s likely that the device is a rollator rather than a walker- major differences being the rollator has 4 wheels-no feet. There are some that allow front-facing seating with someone else pushing. They work fairly well on smooth surfaces-they do not work well on rough surfaces/cobblestone, but there’s little of that @ Disney.

The showers may be at the gym rather than directly at the pool.

B&C can be a hard ADR because of its limited seating. I’d also consider how it fits in with the flow of the day and, again the potential of the no show fee. If the intention is for a relaxing day by the pool, I’d suggest just picking something up at the BW. If going on an adventure, I’d consider Disney Springs and just walking up or QS for lunch (or opentable for Raglan Road).

Thanks for these replies!!!!

Regarding jiko- they are driving to Disney on the Saturday and will arrive by noonish (only a two hour drive). They really want to see the animals but only want one day In a theme park. So I am having them cab it over to akl earlyish so they can view the savanah and fire pit- have a leisurely dinner at jiko- then cab back.

The big day is Sunday, rope drop the mk, and head back by 4 at the latest.

You know, I thought beaches had no adrs and I was going to suggest they just grab the beach club bus from mk, scoot in and have a very early supper. Then boat back bwi. But you are right - no adrs

So they may just do pizza from the window if tired. I have secured yachtsman for 7:20 as a potential option as not much else was left....but we will discuss if it's a keeper.

Thanks for the info on the Minnie vans.

Also thanks for the previous posters tip regarding the trolley track and getting stuck!

They know they won't see much of the Epcot fireworks from outside the park, but if there is a better position somewhere around the lagoon, I wondered what it might be.

I read the bwi resort thread, and the gym has good showers in it, hopefully one or the other at the pool will be close.

If they have their own car, I would drive to Jiko: especially if not drinking alcohol. They can use valet for free if they have disabled plates/car tag (please tip appropriately). (They can also use valet @ the BW).

It may be much easier for them to use a car they are familiar with than a cab, especially if one has an issue with bending.

There are some good restaurants @ the GF- Citricos and the Cafe are often available. They could take the monorail or boat from the MK to the GF, eat, and then go either back to the MK for transportation to BW or a bus from the GF to AK (if open) and boat back to BW.

Steve mouse. Thank you for pointing out the driving to akl themselves, I will check to see what they want to do. I never have a car at Disney, so I forget about that option!

We discussed bus options to go to resorts both mk and akl- but they would rather save the time and energy and cab (maybe car now that you mention it) and spend the money. If they were going for a longer period of time, I think saving money would be on their radar more.

They don't seem keen on doing the monorail for their mk day for dinner, even if they do an afternoon break - doing a dinner around Boardwalk area is appealing to them more. I personally love citricos- it's a go to for my family when we are there, especially if we have a birthday or something going on!

It's funny, but a lot of your suggestions were my suggestions to this family too!

Taking the bus to the MK from BW is a much better solution than a cab, minnievan,or personal car. The buses drop you off closer to the MK gates- a personal car would be parked at the TCC- it’s a fair walk from even the disabled parking to the ferry or monorail, and there is no elevator to the monorail (it’s a series of ramps).

It’s also a bit of a distance (from a mobility challenge perspective) from the Contemporary to the MK gates-you walk past the bus drop-offs.

The bus area at the BW is fairly convenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!