MK opening show

kitkat4622

DIS Veteran
We are not rope drop people and have been twice to disney but never saw the opening show. Would it be worth it to get up early and see the show and if so what time would you suggest we arrive at the park. Thanks

I love the Welcome Show! It starts about (Edited per Robo) 20 minutes before park opening (on EMH days they will do it for the EMH but not the regular opening). I usually get there at least an hour before park open to get a good spot. Also note that sometimes they will do a shortened version of the show or just an announcement for various reasons, but there is no way to know that ahead of time. I have actually never seen one of these alternate shows.

Honestly, if you're not rope drop people, I don't know how much you will enjoy this, but it's one of my favorite things at WDW and it might make me tear up a little...every single time.

Last edited:

We also love the MK welcome show. We are early risers in WDW, so I think it is definitely worth it to go see it. Plus, those first couple of hours in the park have much lighter crowds, so that is another reason why we rope drop.

The show is cute, but what I like more than the show is when you enter the park and the cast members are waving their big Mickey hands and saying " Good morning" as you walk up Main Street.

I love the Welcome Show at MK! I think it is quintessential Disney.

I was sad to see the welcome shows disappear from the other parks.

But the real reason we are there for rope drop is that we enjoy those first few hours of lower crowds.

I love the welcome show too and try every trip to see it. (and I am not am morning person) :sunny:

I love the Welcome Show so much. It's a must for me every trip. But I'm "hard core"... and agree with the PP who said if you are are more casual Disney fan you may find it skippable.

I would do it. It might turn you into "rope drop people" after you see the benefits of being in the parks with the fewest amount of people.

I have fond memories of the opening show but I've only seen it twice in my life..

I wouldn't get up just for it but there is other things that are only right at opening that you've proabably never seen...

1: see the opening show with lots of characters..
2: ride a main street vehicle to and from the castle.
3: watch the trolley show (near the hub, kind of a good morning we're more awake than you street show)..
4: the citizens of main street tend to be out and talking/entertaining everyone..
5: watch the running of the guests trying to be first on the rides..

I actually plan to do this on oct 1 (45th anniversary day).. just take in all the little things I normally don't see and crossing my fingers that it's more than a free cupcake surprise that day..

oh and a familiy joins them in the show. Anyone I know that's been in it was very very early, waiting eagerly to get in and asked by a CM that saw they were really happy to be there to take part.. (you ride the train into the station which is most of the show).

In my opinion it is a must do at least once a trip. As everyone has said the big benefit once you are down main street is the lack of people for a time. For example, last year there for Rop drop and within the first hour had done Swiss Family, JC, Pirates, Aladdin, and since the wife doesn't ride these I did Splash and Thunder. So 6 attractions in 60 Minutes. So worth it.

Arrive 30 to 45 minutes before scheduled park opening. Basically I say 45 to give you the extra travel time. 30 minutes you should be good

It's not something I have to see it everytime. Did it once and it's good enough.

I would see it at least once just to say "I saw it".

Do the have this show on 8 am openings?

The MK Welcome Show (Rope Drop Show) is performed at different "opening times" depending on how and when the MK opens.

EMM (Early Morning Magic) MK Welcome Show plays only for regular park opening.

AM EMH: MK Welcome Show plays only for AM EMH opening.

REGULAR Park Day: MK Welcome Show plays for regular park opening.
(Sometimes the MK "regular hours opening time" gets moved to 8AM.)

Be prepared for the MK Welcome Show to begin approx. 20 min. before the posted opening time.

Also, it's important to note that there are several "versions" of the MK Welcome Show.

One (the most complete full version) offers singers and dancers and the steam train and the Family of the Day and the Disney characters.

But, some offer not all of those features, and some (the shortest version) offers NONE of those features and is simply an audio recording welcoming guests to the MK.

Although it is most often that the full version will be shown...
there is no way to know in advance which version will be performed.

Best to not "discuss" the opening with your group (especially young kids) in advance,

just in case you get a smaller version of the show.

Last edited:
The MK Welcome Show (Rope Drop Show) is performed at different "opening times" depending on how and when the MK opens.

EMM (Early Morning Magic) MK Welcome Show plays only for regular park opening.

AM EMH: MK Welcome Show plays only for AM EMH opening.

REGULAR Park Day: MK Welcome Show plays for regular park opening.
(Sometimes the MK "regular hours opening time" gets moved to 8AM.)

Be prepared for the MK Welcome Show to begin approx. 20 min. before the posted opening time.

Also, it's important to note that there are several "versions" of the MK Welcome Show.

One (the most complete full version) offers singers and dancers and the steam train and the Family of the Day and the Disney characters.

But, some offer not all of those features, and some (the shortest version) offers NONE of those features and is simply an audio recording welcoming guests to the MK.

Although it is most often that the full version will be shown...
there is no way to know in advance which version will be performed.

Best to not "discuss" the opening with your group (especially young kids) in advance,

just in case you get a smaller version of the show.
Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!