MK Still Lower Daytime Crowds on First Party Date?

boilermakeric

Earning My Ears
We moved our September, low-crowd-hopeful trip into August once the SWGE opening was announced. While we know the change will bring some uptick in crowds from our original vision, we were hoping to mitigate that somewhat by making 8/16 a MK day, which is the first date of MNSSHP for 2019. We’ll be onsite, so also plan to use EMH that morning.

I know the general guidance is that these 9-6PM dates are great for MK crowd relief, and we did feel that panned out during our Oct visit last year (actually went to the park on 2x party dates). But does that strategy backfire for the very first party date? I noticed that last year’s first party date had an 8 AM start, which was one of the only ones for the entire party season. Hoping that wasn’t an omen for an overlay busy day.

On the flip side, I’d love to think that all the bloggers will be saving their energy for a full night of activity and won’t be bothering with daytime hours. I can accept that the 4 PM rush might be a big bigger than other days. Buy I anticipate we’ll be leaving by 5 PM anyways, so I’m not worried about that aspect… as long as the overall day wasn’t a bad choice.

Any insight from last year’s visitors on that same day? We have no interest to attend a party this trip, so it’s just a call between this day for MK or another earlier in the week (already planning a late start MK day on Wed as well that will go through evening EMH).

We were at the MK last year during the morning/afternoon of the first MNSSHP.

Crowds didn’t seem lighter then usual. I’d say average crowds for that time of year. I don’t think it will be a bad choice though. I find it does get more crowded earlier though now. DVC people were allowed entrance at 2pm last year with a ticket and lots of AP holders arrive earlier then 4pm with plans to stay for the evening party.

We went to the first party two years ago and the second party last year. We always enter the park earlier in the day and never notice a surge in crowds until 4 pm. Even last year, I didn't feel like the 2 pm DVC entrance made that much of a difference. I would just be prepared for the 4 pm uptick. If you are leaving at 5 pm anyway, I don't think you have much to worry about.

The other thing I notice about the first party is that lots of people are heading into the MK at 3 or 4pm and have no idea that the park closes for them at 6pm. Many people just assume that the park will close at 9/10 pm or even later in the summer. There are so many people unfamiliar with the mid August party starts, that I think earlier in the day, is really just another day for most. It’s funny to see the looks on some of the faces as guests in costumes start to arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!