Mobility Scooter in DLP

Lollipop's Mom

<font color=teal>Special trip with your little one
My daughter and I are planning a trip to Paris. I will be traveling with a mobility scooter as I can't walk long distances.
How are the buses/shuttles from area hotels? Or best to stay on site?
Any advice?

I would stay on site, as the buses to the neighbouring hotels do not accomodate mobility scooters to my knowledge. But I must admit I've got a hard time remembering ever seeing anyone in a mobility scooter at DLP, I have seen wheelchairs, but not scooters. For sure, I've never seen either of them on the bus. To my knowledge all the buses are like city buses, without a ramp to get a scooter on. Definitely not like WDW's buses. Also no designated waiting spot, when the buses come it's every man/woman for him/herself.

To get to the onsite hotels it might be 5 minutes to New York, 10 minutes to Sequioa and New Port Bay and about 15-20 minutes to Cheyenne and Santa Fe. Distances calculated by your daughter walking beside you.

I have not posted up on this forum in years, but I was looking for a piece of information and came across your message.

ECV's are not a common sight in France and the only times I remember seeing them were when guests from the UK visited the park. I would second Karin1984 suggestion and strongly advise you to stay on site.

I would like to point you toward this link: https://brochure.disneylandparis.com/HCP/UK/catalogue/index.html They are the guides for guests with disabilities and there are few different from WDW and DL things I would like to point out:

1- Peter Pan's Flight require guests to be capable to walk and go down ladders on their own. Space Mountain, the Indiana Jones coaster and Crush Coaster used to have the same requirement, but it was relaxed a few years ago and only Peter Pan still has it.

2- This is directly from their website:
Documents required to apply for an Access Card
Priority Card: for disabled guests (anyone who is officially registered as disabled).

• French residents: disability card, disabled person’s priority card, difficulty standing card, war disability card, European disabled parking badge.
  • Residents of other countries: disability card, European disabled parking badge, other official documents issued in your country of residence, war disability card, a medical certificate (original copy) in either French or English, issued less than three months previously and signed and stamped by the doctor, certifying that the person has a permanent disability.
Easy Access Card: for guests with a temporary illness and for expectant mothers.
  • Medical certificate (original copy): in either French or English, issued less than three months previously and signed and stamped by the doctor, certifying that the person has a temporary illness (e.g. is wearing a cast, has recently undergone an operation) or is pregnant.
Basically, in order to get a card to use the exits and other special lines, Disneyland Paris has those requirements.

3- Ratatouille, Buzz Lightyear and Its a Small World have wheelchair accessible vehicles, but you will need to transfer to a wheelchair from your ECV.

4- Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain have a narrow 45 seconds window to board and get your restraint verified when running at maximum capacity.

As other's have said above, mobility scooters are extremely rare in France. I spent 14 days on 2 separate visits in APR/MAY this year and saw a grand total of 4 in all that time, and all of my time was spent in very touristy areas. Since they are so rare, most off-site hotel buses and some trains will not be able to easily accommodate them if at all. If your budget can accommodate it you'll be much better off choosing the DLP hotel that suits your budget and stay on site. The route into the parks is pretty easy walk from all of them and they have appropriate elevators and the like as needed.

I use a mobility scooter in disneyland Paris and stayed onsite and the partner hotels. They have adapted shuttles which you ask for at hotel reception or city hall or go to the drop off point at the bus station and they bring you back to your hotel.

I have not posted up on this forum in years, but I was looking for a piece of information and came across your message.

ECV's are not a common sight in France and the only times I remember seeing them were when guests from the UK visited the park. I would second Karin1984 suggestion and strongly advise you to stay on site.

I would like to point you toward this link: https://brochure.disneylandparis.com/HCP/UK/catalogue/index.html They are the guides for guests with disabilities and there are few different from WDW and DL things I would like to point out:

1- Peter Pan's Flight require guests to be capable to walk and go down ladders on their own. Space Mountain, the Indiana Jones coaster and Crush Coaster used to have the same requirement, but it was relaxed a few years ago and only Peter Pan still has it.

2- This is directly from their website:
Documents required to apply for an Access Card
Priority Card: for disabled guests (anyone who is officially registered as disabled).

• French residents: disability card, disabled person’s priority card, difficulty standing card, war disability card, European disabled parking badge.
  • Residents of other countries: disability card, European disabled parking badge, other official documents issued in your country of residence, war disability card, a medical certificate (original copy) in either French or English, issued less than three months previously and signed and stamped by the doctor, certifying that the person has a permanent disability.
Easy Access Card: for guests with a temporary illness and for expectant mothers.
  • Medical certificate (original copy): in either French or English, issued less than three months previously and signed and stamped by the doctor, certifying that the person has a temporary illness (e.g. is wearing a cast, has recently undergone an operation) or is pregnant.
Basically, in order to get a card to use the exits and other special lines, Disneyland Paris has those requirements.

3- Ratatouille, Buzz Lightyear and Its a Small World have wheelchair accessible vehicles, but you will need to transfer to a wheelchair from your ECV.

4- Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain have a narrow 45 seconds window to board and get your restraint verified when running at maximum capacity.

I am not so sure the rule had been relaxed at Indiana Jone's.

I have witnessed a few week ago a guest that tried to ride Indiana Jone's. A friend lifted him onboard, however a cast member suspected he could not walk on its own and asked him. He replied he couldn't, so he was asked to disembark, and could not ride.

It must have been frustrating for him to be seated on the ride for a few seconds, only to be told that he finally couldn't do it. Apparently cast member at the SAP entrance did not know enough to stop him until he reached the ride.

Thanks for your feedback @olafLover!

As usual, it might means that the only consistency to expect at Disney's is the inconsistency. Some CMs may be more willing to relax the rules than others. It never hurts to ask!

I take my mobility scooter but we drive. When we stayed offsite we were able to park in the disabled parking by the Disneyland hotel. When we stayed onsite we never used the car. It's definitely more rare there than WDW but there are a few. Make sure if you are getting the green access pass you check the box appropriate for your mobility issues. I struggle walking distances and standing for long periods of time, but can get on and off rides, could climb in an emergency etc. The first time they showed me the two wheelchair options (assuming I had little mobility) and because of that I had to have my hubby with me on all rides and had to wait for the specially adapted cars etc. Someone ahead of me showed theirs and were able to walk to the 2 person queue for regular cars but the CMs wouldn't let me. I then saw there was another box for walking/standing issues. Next time I ticked that box. They are really good. I understand even if it was frustrating they have rules and have to follow them for health and safety according to the box that's been ticked and signed for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter