Moderate VS Deluxe Accomadations

Kathy Rittenhouse

Earning My Ears
What are the basic differences in experienced travelers opinions of the moderate versus deluxe accomadations at WDW?
I have read so many threads that my brain is mush and I still can't decide.

Thanks in advance.

Well off the top of my head, here are a few,

Deluxes have bigger rooms and their beds are queen size not full size like the moderates

Deluxes usually also have a daybed in the room so they can occupy 5 people where as the moderates can only hold 4 (except the rollaway at POR)

Deluxes have kids clubs

Deluxes have their bus stops closer at all the parks usually (not always!)

Deluxes have indoor hallways

Deluxes usually have bigger pools with bigger better slides that the moderates.

Deluxes are way more $$!

Deluxes have fast food type of cafes, but no food courts.

Deluxes are usually in a better location to parks (Monorail or boat or walk~ AK is close to AKL.

Moderates have food courts

Moderates have outside hallways and some areas don't have elevators (Ex AB buildings at POR)

Moderates are less $$

I am sure I am missing some things!

Oh yeah, almost forgot~

Deluxes have room service. Moderates have pizza delivery only!

Good points and I'd like to add that the landscaping can still be quite beautiful (or nicer) at many of the moderates. Feel free to check out the DIS's pictures or stop by our site for all the resorts in pictures.

Have a wonderful trip, whatever you decide.

I agree completely. I think the moderates are beautiful. We have stayed at the Poly and at POR and POFQ all with our small children, and the moderates have been better for our situation ( we were miserable at the Poly). This year it will be just my DH and I so we will be at a deluxe and a home away from home (at a deluxe) and I think it will be very nice and relaxing. The food court is really a plus with the kids, and the playgrounds that the moderates have can't be beat. I think it just depends on what you think you will need!

The exterior corridores is the only thing that comes close to bothering me at the moderates, and even that isn't all that bad because I feel so much safer there than I do at a Comfort Inn on the side of the Interstate. The one thing I really like about the moderates more than the deluxes is the food courts. It's nice to have a good selection of quick, inexpensive food sometimes. When it comes down to it, we usually pick our resort based on how much we want to spend and what theme we want to try next.

We have done both. Yes, all the above differences are true. I guess it really depends on what is important to you. The biggest difference for us was LOCATION. We generally go off season, which mean that Epcot is the only park open late, so the Epcot deluxes are great that time of year, just walk out the back gate spend some time at the Boardwalk and then back to the resort. That said, CBR is still my favorite resort. If there was a walkway back to CBR from the Boardway, it would be my perfect resort.

The moderates have bike rentals and great paths for riding. The moderates alllow you to park much closer to your building. The landscaping at the moderates is really beautiful. :D

This is our dilemna also. We have ressies at both CBR and Swan for 7 nights in Aug. We got a good rate(govt) at the Swan and DC rate at CBR($150, not great). We are waiting for codes to come out to get CBR lower. But, if they get to around $110 or lower I'm not sure the Swan will be worth it at #300 more. I guess we could go with the standard room at the Swan and save 20 a night that way. I'm so conflicted here. Aaarrrggghhhhh!!! Choices, choices, choices.

Deluxes have some of the best dining in Disney. But lousy food courts.

The rooms at the "moderate" Deluxes are smaller than the other Deluxes.

We are now DVC members - after moving from Moderates to Deluxes. But even though I became a deluxe person - I think the moderates are a much better value for the dollar. It depends on what your dollar is worth to you. For us, it became worth extra $$$ per night to be close to the parks, the better theming (but the themeing is still excellent at the moderates), and bigger rooms, but we had the money to spend. The question is, what would you be spending the difference on?

questions to ask, how much time are you going to spend in the room, what parks are you visiting, what ages are your kids, and how dependant will you be on Disney transportation. You can't beat a monorail resort for traveling with more than one kid under four and spending lots of time in the MK. Disney transportation "tends" to be better from the Deluxes (which often have walk or dedicated (monorail/boat) access to at least one park). A family who spends time in their room can benefit from the extra space more than one traveling that will only use the room to sleep and shower. But a family traveling with pre-teens using the room to sleep and shower and driving or renting a car - why spend the money on a deluxe? Unless you've always wanted to stay at the Poly or don't have a budget.

(Gabrielle, some of the deluxes have excellent bike/walking paths as well, particularly around the Boardwalk and Wilderness Lodge).

I think Deluxe resorts and rooms are nicer as the previous poster has mentioned, but if you can't afford the deluxe, you will still have a great stay at the mods.

They are well themed and a great value.

We usually split our stays with one week at a mod and then the rest at a deluxe

Location, Location, Location. All the Deluxes are close to at least one park. Personally the Boardwalk area which includes, BWV, BWI, Y&BC, and BCV is a great area. I actually appreciated it much more than I anticipated. But if finances are a major consideration, go with a moderate and forget what everyone says about the Deluxes and Enjoy. You can't go wrong.

Just an added note here in the battle of resorts...

I realized on our most recent trip that self parking at a deluxe is a pain. At mods and values you can generally park near your room. Deluxes have one large parking lot and spaces close to the building are premium spots. It's fine if you are parking one time and leaving your car there, but if you aren't you could find yourself parking a long way from the resort.

We did the late Hoop De Doo Revue - drove from AKL to FtW, then took a bus to Pioneer Hall. Upon our return to AKL, I dropped the family off at the front door of AKL and then drove through the parking lot looking for a space. Ended up way, way in the back of the lot and had quite a walk back. Just kind of inconvenient at midnight.

As a moderate user that upgraded to a deluxe for a special anniversary I would have to say we are going back to the moderates. I didn't like the indoor corridors. I like going in my own room from the outside especially if you are on the first floor surrounded by a garden. Liked the food courts more at the moderates and the walk around ability and atmosphere at night in the moderates.

how can anyone be miserable at the Poly? The best thing I like about deluxe resorts is the 'close proximity' to the parks via boat, bus, monorail ~ alot of time saved esp if you have a quick trip.:D

Originally posted by donnamerry
how can anyone be miserable at the Poly?

Very easily!

For one thing it was our first trip, spur of the moment, and I had not found these wonderful boards yet. For another thing I was 5 months pregnant and we were traveling with a 2 year old and did not bring a stroller because concierge told us they had plenty for us to use. Of course when we got there they were gone every morning by 6:30 am. When we were there, everything but the bus to Typhoon Lagoon and DD had to be done through the TTC, and when you are carrying an extra 20 lbs, and a sleeping 2 year old, the TTC is quite hike back, and taking the resort monorail from the TTC is not any faster or really less walking when you consider the ramps you have to walk up and down just to go one stop. Therefore, we were not happy with the lack of bus service (which I understand has changed) or the dreaded TTC and find that when the kids are with us, the moderates work best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter