Moderate vs. Deluxe

Personally, I'd rather stay at a value than a moderate other that POFQ. I don't love how big and spread out the other resorts are with the multiple internal bus stops. I do love the deluxe resorts and when my budget can swing it I will pick to stay there, but I know some people that think it's a waste of money. If I can't swing it I pick either POP or ASMo.

I remember my first trip with my dad, we stayed at AKL. Past February we went to POR. I enjoyed both, but if I had the money I would probably do deluxe.. I've definitely been on the lookout for renting DVC points because I know it can get us Deluxe at close to if not equal to moderate prices. And I know some DVC rental sites even have discounts depending on what's available.

I remember my first trip with my dad, we stayed at AKL. Past February we went to POR. I enjoyed both, but if I had the money I would probably do deluxe.. I've definitely been on the lookout for renting DVC points because I know it can get us Deluxe at close to if not equal to moderate prices. And I know some DVC rental sites even have discounts depending on what's available.

I agree!!!

I do have to throw one caveat out there about renting dvc points and comparing the price to moderates though - for a studio or 1 bedroom (besides OKW), you are only getting 1 bed and a pull out couch. For kids that should be fine, but if you have more than 2 adults or don't plan to sleep with one another, that could be a deal breaker. Just something to think about

Don’t count out the Swan and Dolphin! We usually always stay “deluxe” but we do it by renting DVC points or staying at the Dolphin. The location is amazing, the pool is beautiful and you have all the deluxe amenities. Depending when you go, you may find the rates are comparable to a moderate!

For what a moderate would cost you for a week stay, you could stay deluxe villa and rent points from one of the companies out there. Solved!!
We had our minds set on CTR strictly for the location. We were able to pay an extra $100 per night to get a BLT 1BR. Totally worth it to get an extra BR and bathroom. Especially when the same room was almost $500 more per night on the DW reservation site.

Yes, you give up daily housekeeping, the flexibility to cancel and you have to pay for it in advance, but the extra room is worth the trade off IMO.

We own DVC. BLT and Kidani are our first choice for the extra bathroom in the 1 and 2 bedroom units. When we used to stay in the regular resorts, deluxe was our first choice.

I think it really depends on your income and priorities and no one else can know that for you. How much do you value comfort? A gorgeous lobby? Excellent dining options right at your resort? A pool with a really nice waterslide? The ability to have a balcony, or at least to be able to keep your window blinds open without strangers peering into your room? If you value all of that at $2,000 or more for the length of your trip, choose deluxe. If not, choose moderate.

If you really want deluxe, I recommend renting DVC points or waiting until discounts come out (typically around 25% off deluxe rooms).

We have stayed at several deluxe resorts (Grand Floridian, Poly, Beach, Boardwalk) as well as moderates (Coronado, Caribbean) and value (Pop Century and Art of Animation, although the latter often approaches the cost of a deluxe esp when booking suites, which is the majority of the rooms).

In our experience, all have pros as well as cons (=> cost -- at every level, the expense is dramatically more than you'd pay for a comparable off-site hotel). They can all provide a fantastic vacation experience. Just different flavors. The deluxe resorts are more conveniently located and are more luxurious, but the prices are absolutely absurd unless you can book at a significant discount (e.g. off-season, passholder/FL resident, through an agency that has seasonal discounts or as part of a convention, etc.).

Our favorite is Beach Club bc of the overall laid-back feel of the Epcot area resorts, the amazing pool, and walking access to Epcot, the boardwalk, and even Hollywood Studios (though it's a hike). If we ever do DVC, that'd be our dream location. BUT, the rack rate price is absurd and definitely not "worth it" from a strictly numbers perspective. It's absolutely a "splurge" and not a necessity.

If you have excess $$ in your budget and no better use for it, deluxe is a great experience. But if this is your one big Disney trip (or one of a couple big trips spread over several years), you can definitely stretch your money more and get better bang for your buck looking at cheaper options.

When our two boys were younger we had a couple stays at Coronado Springs and our kids LOVED it. The Pyramid pool was a huge deal for them and something they looked forward to going back to. We did one stay at Fort Wilderness Cabins, great, but the pool was pretty lame. Then we discovered Swan/Dolphin, while not Disney owned the location near Epcot made it perfect, best of all the rooms are Deluxe and you can usually get a rate that is closer to a Moderate price. You don't get all the benefits; magic bands, magical express or charge to room, but beyond that get most the other benefits. Now my wife and I are taking our second trip with just the two of us first time to Swan and now going to POFQ. Dropping an extra $2,000 just doesn't give me a good feeling, there are other thigns I can do with that amount of money including another vacation. But the only decision is up to you, and your family.

We have been mostly staying at the MK area deluxe resorts the past few years, then WDW did crazy room rate hikes so we skipped this year entirely. Last summer we went to Universal instead. Twice.
This next summer going back to WDW, but can’t justify deluxe pricing anymore. It’s hit my tipping point. So we’re going back to the moderates. Good thing we enjoy the moderates. POR is my fav, but like CBR too.
$2000 is a lot. I’d save and stay at a moderate.

We have been mostly staying at the MK area deluxe resorts the past few years, then WDW did crazy room rate hikes so we skipped this year entirely. Last summer we went to Universal instead. Twice.
This next summer going back to WDW, but can’t justify deluxe pricing anymore. It’s hit my tipping point. So we’re going back to the moderates. Good thing we enjoy the moderates. POR is my fav, but like CBR too.
$2000 is a lot. I’d save and stay at a moderate.

I am at that point as well. I have a AKL stay planned in December with a BB discount. Even with the discount I think it is pricey, so it will likely be my last deluxe stay for a while. Unless my DH joins us on a trip, I plan to stay moderate and use the savings for food etc.

Like already mentioned, where you stay is a very personal decision based on what you need and want. We have always saved and stayed at the Poly. Even if we tried to stay somewhere else, we would move to the Poly. Coming to Disney isn't the same for us if we stay anywhere else. We have always saved and/or used discounts to be able to do that. However, I agree that prices are just getting too high. We are going in February and are renting DVC at the Poly for the first time. The difference in price is amazing. If you are OK renting through a person or third party, I feel like DVC is perfect to cut costs. Look at the things you want in your resort. There is a big difference (to my family) in deluxe vs moderate and we enjoy the resort too much to make the change. If the difference in deluxe vs moderate is not that important to you (transportation, amenities, location......) save your money and stay moderate. Go with your gut. You will enjoy yourself no matter what!!!

If you are returning to the resort for afternoon naps and will put the children to bed quite early in the evening, I think deluxe. They are quieter because they have internal corridors and some have balconies, so that you can chill with a drink, play cards, chat etc while they sleep.

Interesting. We have found the exact opposite to be true.

We just came back from a split stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge to start and Port Orleans Riverside at the end. It really will vary person to person but here is how we felt. We LOVED Animal Kingdom Lodge.
In case you ever decide to do something similar, it's often recommended that you stay at the less expensive property first, then move up.
That's exactly what I was going to say - always move UP in a split!

For what a moderate would cost you for a week stay, you could stay deluxe villa and rent points from one of the companies out there. Solved!!
Yes, you give up daily housekeeping, the flexibility to cancel and you have to pay for it in advance, but the extra room is worth the trade off IMO.
Giving up the flexibility to cancel is the dealbreaker for me.

A- my kids don't really need space
B- they didn't care if we stayed at a dump or a nice hotel, staying in a hotel was a novelty enough to them so it was always fun.
C- theming at the values was better suited IMO for young children.
D- all they cared about was the pool

This was always a thing for us as well. Mods, or even values, actually seem more "Disney-ish" to me. We've stayed at POFQ, POP, CBR, and POR (twice) - and loved them all.

The one deluxe exception we made was AKL, and I absolutely didn't regret it! My whole family loves animals, and we stayed there at Christmastime, which was extra-gorgeous:

mini trip report (POFQ & AKL)

Location was a big deal for us. BW/BC/YC being able to walk to HS and Epcot is HUGE. Our kids are older, so no strollers. Sister in law has younger kids and a stroller. She loved the location as well. Not having to wait for a bus and dealing with wrangling two kids and a double stroller onto that bus for half the parks was a big deal for her.

The thing that tipped us was club level at Grand Destino. Like others have said, half the price with all the amenities...besides the location.

Very personal call on this though. Whatever you value most!

As others have said it really depends on what is best for your family. When my children were younger we loved being at the MK resorts bc they were closer and no buses to MK where at that age spent most of our park days. We splurged on Poly for our ten year anniversary and with little kids for us the splurge turned out to be worth it. We strolled onto the monorail for MK and walked over to TTC for the monorail to Epcot. Our last trip we did a split stay to save money. The kids liked POR but when we switched over to YC they said we're never staying at Riverside again. My husband was also in agreement with the kids. Our next trip we're splurging again for our daughter's Sweet 16 and doing a split stay first at Poly and then going to YC. But this is what our family likes to do and went on a camping vacation this past summer so we can do Disney next summer.

Another vote here for renting points. It is the only way we can afford to stay deluxe, and what we are doing for our upcoming trip. We are paying LESS than we would have for a moderate the same time period, and only $300 more than the Pop would have cost.

That being said, if renting points isn’t for you, with kids that age I would choose the Pop over a moderate. The Murphy bed in the room is great for increasing space and the skyliner is an added convenience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter