Modify Poly reservation to fewer nights, odds Disney will say NO?

vivigrace611

Earning My Ears
I just booked my 2025 Disney package in March with a Disney TA. We booked for ten days at the Polynesian with the optimistic outlook we'll have a plenty of time to explore the parks at a relaxed pace.

That said, we know that my husband has a workload that can tick up unpredictability. So we felt comfortable knowing that we could modify more than 30 days out without penalty.

Alas, our TA explained Disney doesn't guarantee any modification to a package, which is in fact in the T&Cs (I read them despite all the other verbiage about being able to modify 30 days out).

Our TA said that she would present a change request to a Disney rep with a compelling reason about why we need to modify. She said she doesn't anticipate it being an issue but they may come back and say there's a minimum night stay for the dates in question.

We wouldn't drop to three nights but seven or eight nights are in the realm of possibility if he can't take as much time off.

Has anyone heard of hotel modifications being denied? Am I excessively worrying?

Unfortunately there is not a guarantee that you can reduce your nights. I will say though if the first CM says it’s not possible, call back and try again.

Also, if it involves changing your number of days of a ticket, I believe you will need to pay current cost if the ticket so that would need to be factored in too.

The T&C's do not state you can modify your reservation down to a different number of nights. It simply states you can modify prior to 30 days, before check-in, without penalty. That means you can modify to whatever is available, at the time of modification, at prevailing rates. That doesn't mean 7 or 8 days at Poly will be available at that time. I don't think anyone on here can tell you what the odds are. I have had success taking dates off, but YMMV.

I have done this probably a dozen times, never been denied. They can easily reduce nights, it is when you want to add there might be an inventory issue

Generally speaking, to modify a reservation there must be availability for a NEW reservation. WDW has algorithms to prevent "orphaned" nights or rooms, which may mean they give pushback if requesting to drop nights if they feel they cannot rebook those nights. It may depend on how strongly your TA is willing to push on your behalf to get the reservation adjusted, as the request may need to be escalated.

Also know that while you are booked at rack rate right now, if you end up getting a discount or special offer applied that could get lost if modifying the reservation.

I was able to do this to a 6 night reservation earlier this week. We had initially booked 6 nights total, then decided to book a split stay and wanted to shorten the initial reservation (the room category we booked was no longer showing under the spring promotion). The CM was able to do this over the phone for us, but they did need to speak to Guest Services to have it approved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter