Molokai in JP3

Molokai Gram

<font color=green>DIS Veteran<br><font color=magen
Aloha,
Just got back from seeing Jurassic Park 3. The scenes of green sea cliffs and deep valleys during the beginning of the movie were filmed on the north shore of Molokai. My house is almost directly across on the other (south side) of those mountains. Did you see me :wave: ? That is the windward side and it is very green, my side is very dry - we need rain.
Donna

How coooool to see your tropical paradise on film, Donna! Everytime they show MY hometown someone's getting robbed or killed.... :rolleyes:

LOL Robin!

Donna, Did you like the movie?

Aloha,
LOL Robin, as you can see in the movie, we only eat people here, not rob them (except for cell phones :D ).

Renee, I liked the first JP better. But we had fun watching JP3. Everyone in the audience was identifying places, sort of a commumity participation showing. It was fun and although we thought some of the ground scenes could have been shot here, the majority agreed it was unlikely that Molokai was used for more than the cliff and ocean shots. BTW, those Molokai sea cliffs are the highest in the world. We may not have a stop light or McDonalds, but we have sea cliffs! ;)

Donna

Donna, I didnt know they chose Molokai for filming location...how cool! I remember a while back you posted a link about Molokai....I really enjoyed it too! Is the North shore of Molokai just cliffs and valleys? Are there homes on that side as well? I sure hope you get some rain soon...we just did finally today hope its coming your way. Thanks for sharing that Donna:)

Robin....you are bad bad bad.....okay so it did make me laugh!:D

Aloha Maria,
Yes, the north shore is mostly cliffs and valleys. I only know of one family that lives there, although during the summer months some people take a boat around to the valleys and camp.

There is also a peninsula on the north shore, right on the other side of that big triangular looking rock they showed in the movie. That is where the leprosy colony is (ever hear of Father Damien?). It is only accessible by plane, boat, or mule ride down the switch-back trail down the cliff. Since leprosy is curable, only patients there are old people who contacted the disease before the cure and prefer not to be in public. It is a very beautiful place for such a sad time in our history.

Still waiting for the rain. And looking for a way to afford a trip back to Universal! :cool:

Donna
:wave:

Aloha,

I saw the movie last night. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful paradise.

Someday I hope to vacation in Hawaii.......

Patty

Molokai Gram, I have been to Hawaii but never to Molokai. Hawaii is so beautiful and fragrant. Of course, I have heard of Father Damien. When my daughter and I were there she fell in love with the name Damien and now I have a dgs named Damien but I hate to say it, he's more like the Damien in the movie, The Omen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter