Mom Rants about "childless Millennials" at Disney World

Let me guess...are these people vinyl jazz record collectors too who insists on drinking only craft beer and cocktails?
Naw, that's me. :p Except it's mostly old movie soundtracks I've got on vinyl.

In all seriousness...I think there's a perception among certain groups that enjoying Disney unironically is a sign of intellectual laziness. My opinion, though, is that it's also intellectual laziness to dismiss a huge swathe of popular entertainment based on one's preconceived notions and the popularity of making it an easy target in certain circles. My favorite people in college were the ones who were actually capable of enjoying popular things instead of kneejerking against them for being popular, even if we didn't always enjoy the same popular stuff. One of my film profs in undergrad used to tell stories about Stan Brakhage (a hugely influencial experimental filmmaker of the last century) going to the multiplex and just absolutely eating up the Mummy movies. That's the kind of intellectual I can actually relate to.

I actually just read the New York Post article and I'm in "Julia Sugarbaker mode":

Look...just because we enjoy trips to Disney World does not mean that we're a bunch of uncultured dolts. I too, also like to visit cities around the country and take in the local culture. One of these days, I'd also like to travel abroad, which I haven't been able to do. (I can't find anyone willing to go with me and I don't feel comfortable traveling overseas by myself.) But, I also like the Disney Parks and have no issue with being a single, childless millenial traveling solo there. Enjoying Disney and enjoying more “authentic” experiences are not mutually exclusive.

As someone who just got personally "Disney Shamed" for the same exact reasons the writer of that drivel stated (and by someone who's supposed to be my friend, mind you) I'm actually starting to get a wee bit angry here. It's like people are using our love for Disney as some excuse to feel "culturally superior" to us, which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I really can't stand that "I'm better than you" attitude that some people tend to have, which is why I'm in rant mode. Whoever the heck this writer is knows nothing about me and he certainly can't glean who I am and what I'm about from the mere fact that I enjoy traveling to Disney.

Bottom line: If you don't like it, fine. It's not for everyone. But it's for me. And as long as my going to Disney isn't costing you any of your money or any of your time or not affecting your life in any way, shape, form or fashion, I would highly suggest those who feel the need to make a negative comment about it to just keep their opinions to themselves and let me do me.
What you describe here is something I run into on a daily basis. It's jealousy at its finest. Nothing more, nothing less. People with children can NOT STAND the fact that I can make several trips to Disney and beyond in a year. Number one, I don't party, number two, I have no kids, and number three, I live beneath my means in a paid for house in order to not be rent/mortgage poor. I get so tired of people with children trying to make me feel guilty or somehow beneath them because I don't have the everyday constraints on me that they have! I work with a girl that goes out to the bars at least 4 times a week and has a 22 year old son that lives in the house and plays video games all day while she pays for his car and brings him home take out. She is the very first one every time I plan a trip to say, "Must be nice." Yes....yes it is you deadbeat raising moron! :crazy2: Sorry...you hit a nerve.

Naw, that's me. :p Except it's mostly old movie soundtracks I've got on vinyl.

My favorite people in college were the ones who were actually capable of enjoying popular things instead of kneejerking against them for being popular, even if we didn't always enjoy the same popular stuff. That's the kind of intellectual I can actually relate to.
Yes!!! My sister is one of those people who refuses to like things if too many people get to talking about them. I think that is sadly and plainly ignorant. You miss out on so many things with that mentality. One of my other friends decided he wasn't interested in seeing Avengers: End Game because of all of the hype, even though he was a "Marvel fan". Then he proceeded to constantly post about how he didn't want to see it on facebook all the time. My thought was, "this fool can't be bothered to take 3 hours out of his attention seeking day is what it is!" lol I don't know what people like this actually get out of shunning popular things? Is it some sort of air of superiority? I don't get it. Now I may not go out and buy the t-shirt and all that, but I'm definitely going to judge for myself. My best friend did the exact same with "Frozen".....I MADE her watch it and guess what???? She liked it. Shocker. I just realized, I'm surrounded by idiots. :rotfl2: :dance3:

So she’s cool with us childless Gen Xers then? Phew, I was worried for a minute.
All I kept thinking was that if she is in her child bearing years and has a 3 year old then SHE'S the millennial.

So over the top has to be fake. Check out the Katiebug rant from years back. Think someone is having a great laugh!
Bingo and she picks a rant from at least a year ago... supposedly. I'm not sure which is more funny her own need and lust for "fame" or the fact that the Crappy Broadcast Station picked it up and ran with a "story" (and people wonder why many of us don't watch the "news" anymore) seriously this is nothing but a bunch of bunk.

Even if the article is fake, I agree with others on this forum about the mentality being real. I've gone twice now as an adult with other adults. People will ask you to give up a lot of things assuming it doesn't mean anything to you because you're not a child. I've had adults make comments about us "taking up tables" at character dining restaurants because we didn't have kids with us. I've had people complain about how my friend and I had fastpasses to SDMT and FEA, since the rides "aren't for us." People also assume you're there to get drunk and "ruin things for families," but the drunkest people I've seen at Disney have been adults with kids. At the end of the day, we all paid money to be there, and having or not having kids doesn't mean you deserve special treatment.

To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past…and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.
I have visited WDW with my children, my grandchildren and last year with my Great Grand Daughter. But my wife and I still make WDW our favorite annual trek. Like Uncle Walt said, it's a place to relive fond memories of the past. No where else in the world can I relive my childhood better than at WDW and there is no place on Earth where I can get away, at my age, with dancing in the street, marching through a restaurant waving my napkin or getting kiss on the cheek from Minnie Mouse. I truly feel sorry for that woman who had the most vile posting I have ever read. People like that will never truly respect and understand the true meaning of what is "Disney". For all of us true Fans of the Mouse I say God Bless us all and may He one day touch the heart of that woman and show her the true meaning of these parks that Walt worked so hard to develop. Oh by the way, 208 days and I get to start acting like a kid again.

My husband and I are not millenials (I'm in my late 40's and he's in his early 50's) but we are planning a trip to WDW just the two of us. I never had children but that doesn't make me have any less or any more rights than someone who has kids.

A few things. This "rant" is old. It's made the rounds on the interwebz before. It's a crappy screen shot that honestly could be something someone easily faked, just like you can make those fake iPhone text messages. It's ridiculous and I don't think anyone agrees that childless adults should be banned so spoiled 3 year olds can get pretzels faster. The thing that's shocking to me is how legitimate news networks are REPORTING on this like it's an actual event that happened, instead of a random post supposedly screenshotted from Facebook.

I saw this while in Orlando this past weekend. We are a childless gen x couple. We spent an extended weekend at Universal and our evenings dining at the Disney resorts.

But I still found it super insulting.

Some articles responded to it mentioned we should be traveling the world, rather than doing Disney. Well, we’ve done that too.

Last year, we visited Scotland, England, Iceland, and Canada. I hiked in Banff, Scotland, and Iceland. And we saw the Harry Potter play in England.

There is nothing wrong with us wanting to ride some Harry Potter rides. I love the books and movies.

Theme parks are for everyone.

A few things. This "rant" is old. It's made the rounds on the interwebz before. It's a crappy screen shot that honestly could be something someone easily faked, just like you can make those fake iPhone text messages. It's ridiculous and I don't think anyone agrees that childless adults should be banned so spoiled 3 year olds can get pretzels faster. The thing that's shocking to me is how legitimate news networks are REPORTING on this like it's an actual event that happened, instead of a random post supposedly screenshotted from Facebook.
And then that pompous *** at the New York Post proceeds to have the time and energy to write an op-Ed about this like it affects him in some way.

But as Pete said yesterday, the NYP isn’t exactly “a bastion of journalistic integrity...”

So my dad and I are planning a trip. We went in 2017. Didn't plan as well as we could have. Thought we weren't coming back because we were glad we went but not overly ecstatic. Cue me listening to a bunch of videos and a year and a half later, we went a second time much better prepared. Now on the anniversary of our first adult trip to WDW, we are going on our third trip this December.

My point? My dad 71. I'm a childless millennial. Disney is for everyone who enjoys it. Young and young at heart (with a little extra magic potions for those 21+).

And then that pompous *** at the New York Post proceeds to have the time and energy to write an op-Ed about this like it affects him in some way.

But as Pete said yesterday, the NYP isn’t exactly “a bastion of journalistic integrity...”
Yes, I saw that on reddit! I couldn't believe that it's already evolved into this thing that made someone feel like they should write an opinion piece on. I also just....like...are adults not allowed to have fun? Is life just a slow march to the grave? It's just sad haha.

Spoiler alert, perhaps many of these kids having meltdowns at Disney when they can't get what they want is because of parents, usually unable to say no, having to and its a shock to juniors system when it happens.
Parents also need to realise it ain't all about them and their little angels. Today I got myself my favourite Waffle at Sleepy Hollow and because there were no tables I sat by the exit of HoP. There was a couple with a screaming baby and they sat next to me with bubsie screaming right in my ear. Saying nothing I stood up to find somewhere quieter. 'Oh, you don't have to go' says Mommy. What?! Why do you want me to stay and listen to that squawking? Did I offend you by not wanting to listen to bubba? No, I only thought it, I did it say it.
The Millennials she eloquently calls out are the sensible ones, having fun before the responsibility comes along and us oldies are having fun after our years of responsibility. I grew up at a time when holidays did not happen, we got toys at Christmas and only Christmas and pester power didn't exist, how I wish parents would realise they are helping their kids by saying no to them.
As I write this a kid is pestering me in the Contempo Cafe and of course the parents are doing nothing.
No wait, I think the look on my face when kiddo plonked is mug on my table looking for attention that Mom and Dad failed to give them made them realise I was not happy with being pestered by their child, Dad picked him up and now the kid is having a loud tantrum.

Childless millenials usually have two dogs with human names, thankfully no dogs are allowed in the parks other than service dogs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!