• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Money

Bonnie

DIS Veteran
I was just wondering what you guys usually do when taking money to DLRP. We don't know whether to take a load of cash and have our credit and debit cards as backup, or if we should take a small amount of cash and use the cash machines there. I seem to remember there are cash machines - am I right? I remember some being in Disney Village... though I expect there's a fee.

So I have a few questions:

1. Are there cash machines and if so, whereabouts are they located?
2. Do you know if there's a fee for using them? We're with Natwest and have Switch cards.
3. I read something about getting a "charge card" at your hotel but I didn't really understand what this was about! What can you use it for and is it advisable to use it?

Any ideas would be gratefully received! The last time I was in DLRP I was with my mum and she took care of the money! ::MickeyMo

I don't know about cash machines, but you can opt to have a charging feature added on to your resort identity.

They basically take your CC details as security and then at the end of your stay all the purchases you made using the resort identity are charged to your credit card (or, I believe (you can at WDW), you can settle the account with cash/TC's - although I have not tried doing this at DLP).

It's much easier than carrying cash around!

:wizard:

Bonnie
there are cash machinesand they charge , the only thing is i can't remember exactly where.
We usually take Euros and then back it up with credut card or cash machine.
Credit cards tend to charge for the foreign transaction when you get your bill.(Some don't eg. Nationwide .
With the charge card you give credit card details to hotel reception get and identity type card and use that to pay for food and shopping. Most places take it but some don't eg. Planet Hollywood and the food carts in the parks.
You get a bill to check on the day you leaveand the total is charged to credit card.
Sorry it's longwinded Icouldnt explain it any easier

Berwyn

( days to go to Seqoia Lodge DLRP

I just read my reply through it looks about as clear as mud to me
Thats the trouble when you hit 50+ brain turns to mush :banana:

Berwyn

9 days to go to Sequoia Lodge DLRP :hourglass :Pinkbounc

Bonnie,
Cash Machines for yoou :Pinkbounc

Disneyland® Park: in the arcades parallel to Main Street, U.S.A., Discoveryland and Adventureland; Walt Disney Studios® Park: next to Studio Services and at the Backlot Express Restaurant.
At the Post Office in Marne-la-Vallée/Chessy station.
At the Gaumont Cineplex in Disney® Village.
At the Convention Centre in Disney's Newport Bay Club

Berwyn

Thanks Diana,
I found the 4 pint milk bottle under the kitchen sink the other day, instead of in the fridge :crazy: .
You look fine to me I really like the one in the middle tho', I think its those big EARS.
Berwyn

Orlando International Drive Easter 2000 2 Weeks
Disneyland Hotel DLRP Easter 2003 ( my 50th birthday)
( days to go Sequoia Lodge DLRP 29 th May2005 5days 9 just DW :love2: :love: and me ) 25th wedding anniversary trip

:rotfl: Yes, and I, another member of the 50's club... have been known to put the ice cream into the fridge instead of the freezer... trust me... even Ben and Jerry aren't premium enough to taste right after "refreezing"!

Anyway, about money... I usually buy some Euros at the airport change station on my way, and then I use my hotel card to charge everything in the parks. I'm not sure if someone already mentioned this, but the beauty of that is you avoid the "per-purchase" charge your card might take, since you will only be making one "purchase" when you check out of your hotel. Also, that way you don't have to worry about having your credit card on you in the parks, although I confess I usually carry mine anyway.

On our last trip I was in DLP for a week, merrily charging on my hotel cards...used up the Euros I had come with - at Mcdonalds, food stands, etc :mickeybar ...and all was well until the last day when I booked a private shuttle back to the airport and they said they took only cash. No worries, I thought, I'll just get some more Euros from the ATM...but, alas, oh, here it is again... that age thing (what a great excuse!) :sad2: ... I had forgotten the PIN code for my only credit card that works internationally! I never use it in ATM's, so it just hadn't burned itself into my memory.. the card I DID know the code for only works in Israel... :blush: anyway, the moral of this story is bring enough cash, or know your PIN... :bounce: Okay, I guess only I could do something this dumb, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway! And hey! I just had a reason to use that Mickey Bar Smiley so it wasn't a total loss! :banana:

:flower: :) :flower: :) :flower: :) :flower:

I usually take some Euros (to have ready cash) and then put anything I can on my hotel card and then settle it all by debit (or credit) card at the end :)

BCT said:
Thanks Diana,
You look fine to me I really like the one in the middle tho', I think its those big EARS.
Berwyn

I did check the picture then to make sure you weren't talking about me :rotfl2: (I'm the one on the left!)

Rhiannon :wizard:

PS - Mum/diberry, I can't believe you didn't make that joke first!!

What does the hotel card look like?
I remember being given some sort of pink paper identity card last time but didn't know what to do with it!
Was that it?

Yes I'm sure mine was a light pink card last time Tina :)

DisneyRGB said:

I did check the picture then to make sure you weren't talking about me :rotfl2: (I'm the one on the left!)

Rhiannon :wizard:

PS - Mum/diberry, I can't believe you didn't make that joke first!!

You know I'd never be that cruel to my beautiful baby girl!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

That's very informative, thanks everyone! :love2: :grouphug:

I'm pleased to hear that some of you use your identity cards as charge cards. I wasn't sure if I was just making that up in my head or if I'd really read it somewhere! :rotfl: I can imagine that might be very useful for us. :)

Does anyone know if there's a list of places anywhere where you can't use it? Also, what is the charge when you pay your bill at the end? (If you know...)

Does The Movenpick have a hotel charge card ?

We found this so useful the last time we stayed at The Sequoia.

Bonnie said:
Does anyone know if there's a list of places anywhere where you can't use it? Also, what is the charge when you pay your bill at the end? (If you know...)

Within the parks, you can use your room charge card at any restaurant (sit-down and counter service) and at any shop. They are not good at most stand-alone food carts and souvenir carts around the parks outside. The cards are good at any shop or restaurant in the hotels as well.

There's no charge to use a room charge. The charge is just what you spend, which we all know can be unpredictable. ;)

My understanding is that none of the 4 associated hotels have charging rights. You also cannot pick up items in your hotel shop but you can pick up items in the disney village
nikki

jodyb said:
:rotfl: Yes, and I, another member of the 50's club... have been known to put the ice cream into the fridge instead of the freezer... trust me... even Ben and Jerry aren't premium enough to taste right after "refreezing"!

Anyway, about money... I usually buy some Euros at the airport change station on my way, and then I use my hotel card to charge everything in the parks. I'm not sure if someone already mentioned this, but the beauty of that is you avoid the "per-purchase" charge your card might take, since you will only be making one "purchase" when you check out of your hotel. Also, that way you don't have to worry about having your credit card on you in the parks, although I confess I usually carry mine anyway.

On our last trip I was in DLP for a week, merrily charging on my hotel cards...used up the Euros I had come with - at Mcdonalds, food stands, etc :mickeybar ...and all was well until the last day when I booked a private shuttle back to the airport and they said they took only cash. No worries, I thought, I'll just get some more Euros from the ATM...but, alas, oh, here it is again... that age thing (what a great excuse!) :sad2: ... I had forgotten the PIN code for my only credit card that works internationally! I never use it in ATM's, so it just hadn't burned itself into my memory.. the card I DID know the code for only works in Israel... :blush: anyway, the moral of this story is bring enough cash, or know your PIN... :bounce: Okay, I guess only I could do something this dumb, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway! And hey! I just had a reason to use that Mickey Bar Smiley so it wasn't a total loss! :banana:

:flower: :) :flower: :) :flower: :) :flower:

I hadn't thought of the wretched charges they are now all making for using your card abroad! Our Bank didn't do that but we've just had notification that they are now going to charge like a wounded bull for the privilege of accessing your own money :sad2: :sad2:

I think I'll try the Dis card when I go next time - save a bit of cash that way.

I tend to carry euros anyway - there are always bits and bobs you need abroad and a lot of the smaller foodstalls will only take cash anyway. The only downside to using a debit or credit card is you can't really see what you are spending ......actually that might not be a bad thing :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Its better using the Disney charge card as you only get charged for one transaction aby credit card company.
Cash is cheaper because of no transaction charges but no neccesarily safer .

Always mixing up pin numbers Nik

It's definitely the one with ears like this :earboy2:
Sorry for delay i had to work last night (Nightnurse) and have only just got up.

Berwyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter