Monkeys, Malbec and Morimoto Oh My!! A Wine-derful Food & Wine Trip Update Final Parisian Breakfast 1/21

Morimotofest? I didn't even know this was a thing Can't wait to hear about it.

Your ramen looks delicious. There are so many good things at Morimoto I haven't even tried this yet.

I've wondered about the various special events at Morimoto -- they do a few throughout the year. Can't wait to hear about it. I met him at a Party for the Senses in 2017 and he was very gracious. Sorry you weren't a big fan of the Star Wars food. I have only tried the "tip yip" (fried chicken) at Docking Bay 7 and it was fine for quick service, I guess, but nothing special. Oh, also tried the popcorn and thought it was gross. And I'm really annoyed that they don't offer the sporks anymore b/c so many people took them as souvenirs in CA. I really think they missed the boat on a table service restaurant … maybe in the future.

Morimotofest? I didn't even know this was a thing Can't wait to hear about it.

Your ramen looks delicious. There are so many good things at Morimoto I haven't even tried this yet.

We didn't know about Morimotofest either. If we hadn't gone to dinner there Saturday I never would have known. It was so much fun. I hope to get it done tonight.

I've wondered about the various special events at Morimoto -- they do a few throughout the year. Can't wait to hear about it. I met him at a Party for the Senses in 2017 and he was very gracious. Sorry you weren't a big fan of the Star Wars food. I have only tried the "tip yip" (fried chicken) at Docking Bay 7 and it was fine for quick service, I guess, but nothing special. Oh, also tried the popcorn and thought it was gross. And I'm really annoyed that they don't offer the sporks anymore b/c so many people took them as souvenirs in CA. I really think they missed the boat on a table service restaurant … maybe in the future.
I trusted Joaquin when he said we didn't want to go to Docking Bay 7. I might try it for myself someday, but will probably go by myself first. I do wish they had opened a table service.

Chef Morimoto was very cool. Tons of people were waiting in line for him, yet he took time out to talk to every single person.

Sally and I met Cap & family at Magic Kingdom about 7 am the next day, while the rest had some quality family time. I knew I would be eating and drinking alot that afternoon, but I couldn't resist a late breakfast of Lafou's Brew. I love this. Slushy apple juice with passionfruit foam creates a wonderful flavor profile.
20191006_112011-2268x3024.jpg

Before Sally and I hiked over to the Contemporary to catch a bus to Disney Springs, we hitchhiked with some happy haunts.
537564102_965735089_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg-4176x2784.jpeg

Sally, Mike, Vina and I spent Sunday at Morimoto Asia for Morimotofest! This is a special ticket event featuring local craft beers and Ched Morimoto food. There were 10 stations with food and beer. All of the food was fantastic. There were only two beers I didn't like. One was the fancy bottle I have pictured. The other tasted like vinegar.
PhotoPictureResizer_191027_200353117-360x270.jpg20191006_142812-2268x3024.jpg20191006_142815-2268x3024.jpg20191006_125339-2268x3024.jpg20191006_125037-2268x3024.jpg20191006_143004-2268x3024.jpg20191006_125935-2268x3024.jpg20191006_142759-2268x3024.jpg20191006_125708-2268x3024.jpg

20191006_124320-2268x3024.jpg20191006_124154-2268x3024.jpg20191006_124331-2268x3024.jpg20191006_124326-2268x3024.jpg20191006_124343-2268x3024.jpg20191006_124845-2268x3024.jpg

There was so much food and beer we really had way too much to eat and drink. Too much to review piece by piece, so I will give some highlights.

The sushi bar was AMAZING!!! I wish I had found it earlier, but maybe it was good that I didn't. I might have been tempted to belly up to the sushi bar and park it. I was very happy that they were serving sashimi, not just sushi and rolls. When I came to the bar, the guy in front of me took all the tuna, superwhite tuna and all but one piece of salmon. I asked if the sushi chef would cut me some fresh. He was so happy to give me some beautiful pieces of tuna and salmon, without all the rice. He seemed to appreciate that I wanted to taste the fish.

Of course the ramen was standout. They had the duck and tonkatsu ramen. It was the perfect little cup. The roasted peppers were fabulous too. The siu mai and bees sliders were really good.

The Bowigans dark beer was creamy and tasty. That was my favorite of the day. Next favorite was a super light La Playita. I could drink that all day. I also liked the Weisenboch. Isn't that little man on the tap cute?

The event lasted 3 hours. We found comfy outdoor sofas under big umbrellas, and chilled out 9n the balcony. At the end we were given prepackaged ramen to take home. At $55 this was a steal. I definately ate and drank more than that. This was a great deal, and a really fun way to spend the afternoon.

I've read your other reports, but never commented. I'm trying to comment more, so I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your reports. I've never been to Morimoto Asia, but after your review and several other reviews of it, I think we might need to try it on our next trip.

Morimotofest sounds/looks amazing, and I can't believe it was only $55/person! I could eat $55 worth of sushi no problem, let alone the value of the beer.

I've read your other reports, but never commented. I'm trying to comment more, so I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your reports. I've never been to Morimoto Asia, but after your review and several other reviews of it, I think we might need to try it on our next trip.
Tha is for reading, and posting! You should definitely try Morimoto Asia. The atmosphere is upscale, yet relaxing. The food is AMAZING!! My nephew calls it EPIC!! So sad he missed Morimotofest. You should make it a priority on your next trip.

Morimotofest sounds/looks amazing, and I can't believe it was only $55/person! I could eat $55 worth of sushi no problem, let alone the value of the beer.
I can't even describe how amazing it was. The fish was so fresh. Everything we ate was outstanding. We usually go to the Swan Dolphin Food & Wine Classic, but missed it this year. With the price increase to $145 for that event, we are so tempted to forego that and just plan around this fest. It was FANTASTIC!!💖💖 Only problem is, I don't think it is scheduled far enough in advance for me to plan ahead. Looking into it though. For the price, it can't be beat. Delicious Morimoto food and craft beer for $55. Such a deal!

After Morimotofest we were plastered. We had to go back to the room and rest. Cap'n Mark and family, as well as more of Mike's family were supposed to join us at the resort for dinner where I intended to cook. I literally was in no shape to cook. Mike's cousin was going to bring Filipino food, and I already had some snacks. Vina had made brownies. I figured we would all have to be good as far as food. Plus, I know that if a Filipino person tells you she is bringing food, lots of food will be brought.

As a side note, I was very disappointed by the grills at Old Key West. Our building was about a block from the closest picnic/grill area. When we got there, the area was small. The grills were ancient charcoal grills like at a public park. They were rusty and dirty. No way I would grill on those.

Ditas brought food from Kabayan Grill, a local Filipino restaurant. As expected, she brought so much food. There was Pancit bihon, a Filipino rice noodle dish with pork, chicken, shrimp, cabbage, carrots and other veggies; BBQ pork on a stick; and bangus, whole milkfish cut in half lengthwise, including head, and deep fried without breading served with vinegar garlic sauce. We also had some sausage and peppers I had brought from Chicago and quickly cooked, fresh tomatoes with mozzarella and balsamic vinegar and some roasted veggies.

FullSizeR_1-1200x900.jpg
We had so much food! Everything was ok, and I appreciate that she covered for my drunken state. I will say that I would not suggest that anyone looking for Filipino food go here. Maybe I am biased because not only do we have excellent Filipino delis in Chicago, but I cook these dishes at home all the time. This was nowhere near as good as anywhere else I have had these dishes. Vina wholeheartedly agreed. Joaquin came back to Orlando Monday night and ate the leftovers. He felt the same way. There has to be better Filipino food out there. Nonetheless, I appreciate the gesture wholeheartedly, and none went home hungry.

Mike's other cousin brought an orange pineapple cake that was to die for.

We did have some really good wine. At Epcot, I picked up a bottle of my Monkey wine in the Germany pavilion. I picked up a pinot noir and a rose. People don't normally think of pinot noir when they hear Germany. This wine comes from a valley in Germany near the Black Forest. Of the two bottles, I like the pinot based rose better than the pinot noir itself. It has a light and refreshing feel to it. The flavor is just slightly sweet on the finish, with flavors of strawberry and cherry. When looking for a cool bottle in the Germany pavilion pick up Valley of the Monkey. Plus, the monkeys engraved on the bottles are just so pretty. They are actually engraved!
rosé.pngrot.png

The next bottle was Chinon Rose. This is much more dry than my favorite monkey. Also very refreshing. Tart strawberry here.
20191006_175929-2268x3024.jpg
Finally, a sweet red wine for Mrs. Cap'n. She really only enjoys sweet wine. I wanted her to try something other than the typical Moscato or the Rosa Regale I have brought her before. I conferred with the owner of my local wine bar, and he suggested Dornfelder. He told me that it should be served slightly chilled. He also told me that even people who don't like sweet wine like this. Sign me up! This bottle was FABULOUS!!💖💖 This was my first time trying the eponymous varietal, supposedly very popular in Germany. This was very smooth and sweet. There was no cloying sweetness, just the taste of sweet red grapes and fruit. At our table, even the dry lovers appreciated the flavor. I could just stick a straw in this and slurped away. Since Mrs. Cap'n had the only full glass, it was for her anyway, the rest of us were just left wanting more. I am already buying this for Thanksgiving. Another fantastic German wine.
20191006_175909-2268x3024.jpg

We had a wonderful time with friends and family. We even met a new cousin from Tampa. I thank God that I married into such a warm and welcoming family, who actually follows along with my shenanigans. Here we are. Please excuse the drunken Rudolph red nose LOL.
FB_IMG_1571713222453-720x473.jpg

View attachment 448121View attachment 448122View attachment 448123View attachment 448124View attachment 448125View attachment 448126

There was so much food and beer we really had way too much to eat and drink. Too much to review piece by piece, so I will give some highlights.

The sushi bar was AMAZING!!! I wish I had found it earlier, but maybe it was good that I didn't. I might have been tempted to belly up to the sushi bar and park it. I was very happy that they were serving sashimi, not just sushi and rolls. When I came to the bar, the guy in front of me took all the tuna, superwhite tuna and all but one piece of salmon. I asked if the sushi chef would cut me some fresh. He was so happy to give me some beautiful pieces of tuna and salmon, without all the rice. He seemed to appreciate that I wanted to taste the fish.

Of course the ramen was standout. They had the duck and tonkatsu ramen. It was the perfect little cup. The roasted peppers were fabulous too. The siu mai and bees sliders were really good.

The Bowigans dark beer was creamy and tasty. That was my favorite of the day. Next favorite was a super light La Playita. I could drink that all day. I also liked the Weisenboch. Isn't that little man on the tap cute?

The event lasted 3 hours. We found comfy outdoor sofas under big umbrellas, and chilled out 9n the balcony. At the end we were given prepackaged ramen to take home. At $55 this was a steal. I definately ate and drank more than that. This was a great deal, and a really fun way to spend the afternoon.
what a super event!!!!! looks like it was a huge hit!!!!!

That Morimoto event looked amazing! I don't drink alcohol really so would have missed out there, but oh my gosh can I ever eat sushi....

Such a fun report!

Enjoying your report! What was the date of Morimotofest? I need to look into that, Morimoto’s is quickly becoming one of my favorite restaurants.

Wow, the Morimoto event looks amazing. I will definitely try to attend their next special event. In terms of logistics, was it like a cocktail party where you're moving about and stopping at any free table to eat or do you have an assigned table you use as a "home base"? Giggling a little (WITH you, not at you) at your inebriated state. I'm sure I would be in the same or worse shape. You still put out quite a spread! How fun to have time with family and the villas are so nice for being able to entertain. I'll be looking for the "monkey wine" … I have a riddling rack on the wall in my dining room and that bottle would look really cute!

$55 for Morimoto fest???? That is a steal.. I'll have to figure out how to do that sometime.

I'll have to try that Monkey wine. I'm always looking for new things to try and hello carved Monkey bottle 🙈🙉🙊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!