Monorail Blue evacuated due to piece falling off

rteetz

DIS Veteran
Monorail blue is being evacuated after a piece of the beam had fallen off. Story is still developing.

Those links make it sound like it is actually part of the monorail vehicle that something came off of, not the monorail beam.

It will be interesting to see what develops.

Those links make it sound like it is actually part of the monorail vehicle that something came off of, not the monorail beam.

It will be interesting to see what develops.
I believe it was a piece of the monorail not the beam.

Disney is doing the right thing and not taking any chances. They need to check that puppy out before it moves. They don't want anymore tragic incidences involving the monorail.

Brings back our nightmare of being stuck on the Red monorail for 4 hours in the middle of the night. Hopefully they still have power to the monorail cars to run the AC, the computer system failed on our night, which meant no power and it got hot fast inside the cars.

Brings back our nightmare of being stuck on the Red monorail for 4 hours in the middle of the night. Hopefully they still have power to the monorail cars to run the AC, the computer system failed on our night, which meant no power and it got hot fast inside the cars.
Whoa. That's a real nightmare! Did they compensate you for that?

I read somewhere that they've been having some trouble with the blue monorail. It sounds like it's time for a complete refurbishment or else to put it out of its misery.

I feel bad for those who have to deal with this.

I read somewhere that they've been having some trouble with the blue monorail. It sounds like it's time for a complete refurbishment or else to put it out of its misery.

I feel bad for those who have to deal with this.

They should take it somewhere where no one can find it and put 17 bullets in her. Or just refurb it like you were saying.

Whoa. That's a real nightmare! Did they compensate you for that?
Yes they did, but that was an ordeal as well.
When they finally pushed our monorail to the TTC station at around 5AM (broke down at 1am), when the doors finally opened, I still vividly remember the look on the CM's face when the "locker room" smell hit her (I can laugh now). They gave us all water which was great and needed, then they had us go to a CM whom took our names/information and what resort we were staying at if staying onsite etc. But instead of letting us go on our way, they started to try and compensate us right then and there:( Here is the best part, we have been up almost 24 hrs and they were offering us MVMCP tickets for that night:eek: I told her that we were just up all night and do not want to be up late that day too. I then said that my infant daughter is crying, my other DD was still scared and us parents are totally exhausted and that we just wanted to get back to our hotel room. They would not give up:( and offered MVMCP tickets for 2 or 3 nights later. The CM noticed the look on my face change drastically and just said that she was sorry for the ordeal and that someone from guest services will contact us or we could call them and then said there was trams and buses waiting and let us go.

Time to clear the air…

The piece that broke off it's called the collector shoe, the collector shoe was with the monorail uses to pull the power from the bussbar that is on either side of the beam way. As you can see from the photo where the shoe broke free was on a fiberglass piece. The fiberglass piece is used as a buffer between the shoe itself (the metal part in the photo) and the collector shoe arm (which is a large metal piece physically connected to the train.) The reason why that piece of in between is fiberglass is so that for any reason and obstacle be in the way the shoe itself and the bussbar, the shoe can break free and not do damage to the bussbar along the beam or the train.

As for the rumor of evacuqtion. The train was not evacuated. Once the issue was made aware of the train was told to stop in a specific location where engineering services could check it out to make sure there was no harm to the train or the bussbar system. During that time Reedy Creek Emergency Services is called as a precaution only. They did remain on site while in engenering did a full check of the train. The train was then given clearance into the Transportation and Ticket Center station where they unloaded the guests as normal. The train was then fully checked out, repaired, safety inspected, then returned to service a short time later.

During the first safety check on the open beamway, the other monorail lines were temporarily shut down to keep radio traffic clear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter