Monorail Blue evacuated due to piece falling off

Back to the people who were stuck for 4 hours without AC. How is that even allowed in Florida? I live in Texas and children have died because their idiotic or evil parents left them in hot cars- even at night. You'd think getting people out would be the number one priority so no one DIES. I have a one year old, and I'd be freaking panicking.

Sorry, I'm just flipping flabbergasted. We may not be riding the monorail at all when we go in August.

Back to the people who were stuck for 4 hours without AC. How is that even allowed in Florida? I live in Texas and children have died because their idiotic or evil parents left them in hot cars- even at night. You'd think getting people out would be the number one priority so no one DIES. I have a one year old, and I'd be freaking panicking.

Sorry, I'm just flipping flabbergasted. We may not be riding the monorail at all when we go in August.
Getting people evacuated is a number one priority but in order for guest safety things take time. Reedy Creek has a great system in place for these types of incidents. With gondolas I am sure they will have a great evacuation plan for that as well.

Getting people evacuated is a number one priority but in order for guest safety things take time. Reedy Creek has a great system in place for these types of incidents. With gondolas I am sure they will have a great evacuation plan for that as well.

That's all well and good, but 4 hours in 95 degree heat and you'll have dead people. This poster was trapped in MVMCP season, so cooler weather- Not that that's any better, but at least you don't have the heatstroke risk. A four hour evacuation is unacceptable. Plain and simple, no excuses. Sounds like from her post they just left them on the monorail until they got it working and then offered them party tickets. Unreal. Here's hoping Disney has a better plan for summer issues.

I don't mean to sound like an alarmist, but the stories I've heard about these monorail issues are just unbelievable!

Just us.... we don't ride these things anymore, unless we HAVE to. Stuck in a broken down bus? We can get off, and call a cab via cellphone.
Stuck 40 feet up? Potentially over WATER? Let us know how that works out for you....

"All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong."

That's all well and good, but 4 hours in 95 degree heat and you'll have dead people. This poster was trapped in MVMCP season, so cooler weather- Not that that's any better, but at least you don't have the heatstroke risk. A four hour evacuation is unacceptable. Plain and simple, no excuses. Sounds like from her post they just left them on the monorail until they got it working and then offered them party tickets. Unreal. Here's hoping Disney has a better plan for summer issues.

I don't mean to sound like an alarmist, but the stories I've heard about these monorail issues are just unbelievable!

No alarmist.
It's a problem.
It's not going away.
Older they get, more often it will happen.
It's something they don't do well.
No one should be trapped for hours on these things while they discuss.
Only to start the slow process to evacuate.
Evacuation of a gondola would take even longer since there will be many.

No alarmist.
It's a problem.
It's not going away.
Older they get, more often it will happen.
It's something they don't do well.
No one should be trapped for hours on these things while they discuss.
Only to start the slow process to evacuate.
Evacuation of a gondola would take even longer since there will be many.
Not necessarily because they may not need to evacuate every gondola car since each run on their own essentially.

Not necessarily because they may not need to evacuate every gondola car since each run on their own essentially.
The cars do not run on their own in any sense of the word. They are just a text to a cable that is driven by a motor and gear system. If either of those components fail all cars on the system will be stranded. Saying that, most of these systems have a backup method of running the cable at a slower speed to bring the cars to a station. The cars are totally dependent on the cable for movement.

The cars do not run on their own in any sense of the word. They are just a text to a cable that is driven by a motor and gear system. If either of those components fail all cars on the system will be stranded. Saying that, most of these systems have a backup method of running the cable at a slower speed to bring the cars to a station. The cars are totally dependent on the cable for movement.
My apologies.

I can also see Disney going with the detachable gondola model which could help in emergency situations.
https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/products/detachable-gondola-lift/

My apologies.

I can also see Disney going with the detachable gondola model which could help in emergency situations.
https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/products/detachable-gondola-lift/
Rteetz, are you aware of plans by Disney to replace current monorails? In addition, are they developing plans and training to better handle the continued issues if the older machines are used? It seems like someone in the organization would have to be aware of the need/danger there and be taking steps to address it by at least creating a long-term action plan.

Rteetz, are you aware of plans by Disney to replace current monorails? In addition, are they developing plans and training to better handle the continued issues if the older machines are used? It seems like someone in the organization would have to be aware of the need/danger there and be taking steps to address it by at least creating a long-term action plan.

There has been what? 1 fatality, an employee, in the entire history of the WDW monorail? There have been something like 8 major incidents, maybe 9 if you count the other day? Only about half those incidents have occurred when the monorail was in public use. The equipment is aging and WDW does need to do something about it, but the system is hardly unsafe for any statistical measurement of safety. You can be inconvenienced if you get stuck, and I did get stuck once for about 30 minutes, but if I remember correctly even during shut down there is a cabin air circulation system run on battery. It's not AC, but you aren't going to suffocate or end up like a dog trapped in a summer car by a stupid owner.

It's your choice whether you want to ride it or not, but I'll tell you that most of the thrill rides at WDW have had at least one person die after riding. The cause is usually one of those things that they warn you not to ride if you have, but that's about the only way you'll die in a monorail shut down as well. Your heart gives out because of panic or because it's already weak.

Living in fear of statistical outliers seems to be the order of the day for this country. Probably because injury and death from statistical outliers makes for the best news stories...

There has been what? 1 fatality, an employee, in the entire history of the WDW monorail? There have been something like 8 major incidents, maybe 9 if you count the other day? Only about half those incidents have occurred when the monorail was in public use. The equipment is aging and WDW does need to do something about it, but the system is hardly unsafe for any statistical measurement of safety. You can be inconvenienced if you get stuck, and I did get stuck once for about 30 minutes, but if I remember correctly even during shut down there is a cabin air circulation system run on battery. It's not AC, but you aren't going to suffocate or end up like a dog trapped in a summer car by a stupid owner.

It's your choice whether you want to ride it or not, but I'll tell you that most of the thrill rides at WDW have had at least one person die after riding. The cause is usually one of those things that they warn you not to ride if you have, but that's about the only way you'll die in a monorail shut down as well. Your heart gives out because of panic or because it's already weak.

Living in fear of statistical outliers seems to be the order of the day for this country. Probably because injury and death from statistical outliers makes for the best news stories...
I appreciate your response, but my question for the moderator was not in any way related to your answer. I'm not scrutiizing the safety of the monorail, nor the incident statistics, which to my knowledge are not released as public record. Perhaps you meant to address another commenter?

I appreciate your response, but my question for the moderator was not in any way related to your answer. I'm not scrutiizing the safety of the monorail, nor the incident statistics, which to my knowledge are not released as public record. Perhaps you meant to address another commenter?

Huh. When you start pointing out the "need/danger" of a monorail and someone replies that they aren't really all that dangerous it seems pretty related to me. Your opinion may differ. The incident statistics for major problems aren't hard to find. They pretty much always make news. For minor incidents like temporary delays you are correct that I've never seen how often that happens in a week.

There are no current plans to replace the monorails. I am sure the worse they get the more immediate plans will become. I am just afraid we could see those plans being to scrap the monorail altogether.

Huh. When you start pointing out the "need/danger" of a monorail and someone replies that they aren't really all that dangerous it seems pretty related to me. Your opinion may differ. The incident statistics for major problems aren't hard to find. They pretty much always make news. For minor incidents like temporary delays you are correct that I've never seen how often that happens in a week.

I have read a lot about the monorail systems at Disney as I am very interested in mass transit. The only record that is public regarding incidents is that there has only been one fatality in all of the years of operation, which is incredibly impressive, albeit a tragedy.

Here’s what I know as fact:

Disney has three defined routes, with twelve trains defined by color (Black, Blue, Coral, Gold, Green, Lime, Orange, Peach, Red, Silver, Teal, Yellow). An estimated 150k people ride daily, although again, as Disney does not release public figures, this is speculation. With the exception of part of the peach train, which had a new front and back cab in October of 2011, all of the current trains were launched in the late 80’s or built with pieces of trains launched at that time. The trains are built by Bombardier Transportation, and are Mark VI Monorails. Various specs are also available, should you want them.

Here’s what I don’t know:

How often the trains are actually serviced, tested, and when parts are replaced. How many incidents/issues they’ve had in the almost 30 years since they launched. What evacuation practices are standard for the present. (There is record of old practices from interviews in the 1990’s, and some first-person reports of how things were handled, but no official public policy.) If Disney has any short-term/long-term plans in regards to the monorail system.

Here’s what I can safely speculate:

Nothing lasts forever. Train technology has improved since the 80’s, and while these were incredibly advanced for the time, they may be a bit behind at present. Infrastructures need replaced. Heavy traffic is hard on things.

I agree that things were built better in years past- from cars to furnaces to furniture. (I'm very much an up-cycle person, and recycle a lot of old things for new purposes.) A lot of what is produced today is created with a limited lifespan to encourage consumerism. With that in mind, I do not doubt the durability of the machines. However, on my recent visit to the parks I observed first hand some pretty worn vehicles. Torn seats, boogers caught in dirty carpeting, heavy condensation, and machines that showed signs of age and wear. Justifiably! They have and continue to work hard, incredibly hard, every day, for decades, shuffling people around that have little regard for caring for their environment. It stands to reason that isn’t sustainable indefinitely.

Thus, I am curious about Disney’s stance/planning on the issue. There are dangers inherent in using machines that old that heavily, there are first person accounts of issues, and more than one of these stories demonstrates that there is a potential for danger there that needs addressed. My hope is the company acts in an anticipatory way rather than a reactionary one, as so many modern companies tend to do. As a company, Disney is not great on dissemination of information to the public (which I don't doubt is intentional). History, progress, and management through transition are interesting subjects to me, as is mass transit. Beyond that, I truly respect Walt's vision, and would hate to see it fall into disrepair or disregard.

It's easy to find some of your information, albeit not from my favorite source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_World_Monorail_System

The maintenance section kind of stinks, though the evacuation section isn't bad. If you look in the incidents section you will get a link to all Disney Major incidents including a transportation section that lists the major monorail incidents.

The other thing to keep in mind is Disneyland operates Mark VII monorails since 2008. They are a generation past what WDW is using. I believe WDW is due for Mark VIII monorails which will better incorporate the automation they are trying to retrofit to the Mark VI currently in use.

Disney has been pretty consistent rotating monorail systems between DL and WDW. For example, DL got the Mark IIIs in for 20 years (roughly) beginning in '69. WDW got the Mark IVs for 20 years beginning in 71. Disneyland (roughly) got the Mark Vs for 20 years beginning in 89. WDW has the Mark VIs going on between 25 and 30 years. Disneyland has the Mark VIIs since 2008. So it would seem like WDW is due, if not overdue. But I think part of the hold up is they have been waiting to finish the automation, treating the VIs as a testbed for what they want incorporated into the VIIIs. Also the "due period" around 2011 was at the end of a time of very limited investment, which seems to be getting corrected now.

I do not think the monorail is going anywhere. It's too iconic. I do think before the 50th we will have news on the Mark VIIIs as the Mark VIs will be well overdue for replacement.

There are no current plans to replace the monorails. I am sure the worse they get the more immediate plans will become. I am just afraid we could see those plans being to scrap the monorail altogether.

As much as I would hate to see that happen, I fear you are correct. I think the gondola system is a test and the prediction of future things to come. If it goes well, I see the monorail being replaced by these.

As much as I would hate to see that happen, I fear you are correct. I think the gondola system is a test and the prediction of future things to come. If it goes well, I see the monorail being replaced by these.
I don't think the resort line would be replaced by gondolas but possibly the Epcot line.

I don't think the resort line would be replaced by gondolas but possibly the Epcot line.

Why not? I see the monorail from TTC to MK being ferry only and then just gondolas around the resorts. If they're making them between AOA and CBR, then why not GF, Poly, CR?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter