Monorail Red door OPEN while in motion! Video Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
All due respect, but if you're referring to "back in the day", safety wasn't as big of an issue because everyone wasn't so sue happy. Lawyers have changed our world. People used to be responsible for their own safety.

I would agree but I’m strictly talking about WDW, not the world in general.

What I’m talking about has nothing to do with a litigious society. I’m talking about a WDW that used to put safety ahead of profit.

All due respect, but if you're referring to "back in the day", safety wasn't as big of an issue because everyone wasn't so sue happy. Lawyers have changed our world. People used to be responsible for their own safety.
Bingo

What I’m talking about has nothing to do with a litigious society. I’m talking about a WDW that used to put safety ahead of profit.
Disney isn’t unsafe they just are profit driven and have been for a long time now.

Eh... getting too political for me....

About 20 years ago... I took my daughter (6 years old) on it's a small world...... just as the boat started going up the ramp to unload, she looked over the side of the boat at the water... her head almost got caught between the backrest on the boat and the guard rail on the ramp... I pulled her in just in time.... since then they have changed the boats... It wasn't so safe. Just because you remember it that way doesn't make it so.

About 20 years ago... I took my daughter (6 years old) on it's a small world...... just as the boat started going up the ramp to unload, she looked over the side of the boat at the water... her head almost got caught between the backrest on the boat and the guard rail on the ramp... I pulled her in just in time.... since then they have changed the boats... It wasn't so safe. Just because you remember it that way doesn't make it so.

This is political? :confused3

This has nothing to do with my memory. Attendance is up, profits are up, but operating costs are down. What does that tell you?

Last edited:

Also, I’m sorry your daughter was almost harmed on IASW, but (I mean this with all due respect), there is, and has been for a long time, a warning to keep hands and feet inside the boat. That would include heads too. Now, what you experienced versus what happened this past weekend are two completely different things. In your story, Disney made a change that made an attraction safe in case guests don’t heed their warnings. However, present day, Disney failed to keep their monorail fleet operational. This has caused closures, delays, evacs, crashes, parts falling off, and doors flying open. None of these things have anything to do with guest behavior. It has everything to do with cutting costs and letting things fall into disrepair.

I’m sorry if my post comes across as harsh. This wasn’t my intent. :flower3:

Just because a piece of equipment is passed its "service life" doesn't mean anything. It all comes down to maintenance. There is a pretty good chance you got to Orlando on an aircraft that is past its "service life" but it is maintained properly, so there is no more risk on it than on a brand new aircraft.

Obviously it does not appear that the monorails are being maintained to high standards. If they bought new monorail trains and neglected them too, you'd be right back in the same spot after a relatively short honeymoon period.

In the case of the door opening, that seems like a design flaw to me, or a major maintenance slip. Doors should have redundant locks, that prevents a single failure from causing a door from opening. People shouldn't lean on the doors, but it obviously happens. In this case, the door probably would've moved as soon as someone touched it, warning them there was an issue, but that isn't a great way preventing someone from falling out.

Now, the piece that broke off did what it was designed to do, it had nothing to do with being old.

Also, I’m sorry your daughter was almost harmed on IASW, but (I mean this with all due respect), there is, and has been for a long time, a warning to keep hands and feet inside the boat. That would include heads too. Now, what you experienced versus what happened this past weekend are two completely different things. In your story, Disney made a change that made an attraction safe in case guests don’t heed their warnings. However, present day, Disney failed to keep their monorail fleet operational. This has caused closures, delays, evacs, crashes, parts falling off, and doors flying open. None of these things have anything to do with guest behavior. It has everything to do with cutting costs and letting things fall into disrepair.

I’m sorry if my post comes across as harsh. This wasn’t my intent. :flower3:
Seriously? You've never been supposed to lean up against a monorail door, or any other door on a moving vehicle. Being able to get your head stuck between a headrest and a handrail is a much greater risk than a door opening if no one is actively leaning on it. Kids have died from similar issues, recently a kid died in Atlanta at a rotating restaurant when his head got stuck between a table that was moving and wall that wasn't.

You complain about a safety breakaway device functioning per spec because it landed in a parking lot, but you have no issue with crush hazards being designing into rides? Accounting for human actions and failure to do the right thing is a basic part of safety engineering.

Just because a piece of equipment is passed its "service life" doesn't mean anything. It all comes down to maintenance. There is a pretty good chance you got to Orlando on an aircraft that is past its "service life" but it is maintained properly, so there is no more risk on it than on a brand new aircraft.

Obviously it does not appear that the monorails are being maintained to high standards. If they bought new monorail trains and neglected them too, you'd be right back in the same spot after a relatively short honeymoon period.

In the case of the door opening, that seems like a design flaw to me, or a major maintenance slip. Doors should have redundant locks, that prevents a single failure from causing a door from opening. People shouldn't lean on the doors, but it obviously happens. In this case, the door probably would've moved as soon as someone touched it, warning them there was an issue, but that isn't a great way preventing someone from falling out.

Now, the piece that broke off did what it was designed to do, it had nothing to do with being old.

I understand that properly maintained vehicles can last.

I understand there are airplanes older than dirt.

I understand that if Disney were to get new monorails and not maintain them correctly then we’d be in the same spot.

However, I feel there’s no saving the current fleet. They’ve been neglected for too long.

Seriously? You've never been supposed to lean up against a monorail door, or any other door on a moving vehicle. Being able to get your head stuck between a headrest and a handrail is a much greater risk than a door opening if no one is actively leaning on it. Kids have died from similar issues, recently a kid died in Atlanta at a rotating restaurant when his head got stuck between a table that was moving and wall that wasn't.

You complain about a safety breakaway device functioning per spec because it landed in a parking lot, but you have no issue with crush hazards being designing into rides? Accounting for human actions and failure to do the right thing is a basic part of safety engineering.

I know you’re not supposed to lean against the monorail doors. What does that have to do with what I wrote?

I have no issue with crush hazards?! When did I say that. Please don’t put words in my mouth.

I don’t care if the piece that broke off in a parking lot and did what it was supposed to do. The monorail travels over many populated areas. Falling debris should never have had the opportunity to hit any guest.

However, I feel there’s no saving the current fleet. They’ve been neglected for too long.
It all comes down to maintenance. Remember, the railway locomotives were neglected, unmaintained workhorses down in Mexico (IIRC), now they look and AFAIK work great.

I've helped pull aircraft out of the desert that basically had no maintenance for a decade and are safely flying around today.

Last edited:
I know you’re not supposed to lean against the monorail doors. What does that have to do with what I wrote?

I have no issue with crush hazards?! When did I say that. Please don’t put words in my mouth.

I don’t care if the piece that broke off in a parking lot and did what it was supposed to do. The monorail travels over many populated areas. Falling debris should never have had the opportunity to hit any guest.
I think you need to re-read what you wrote. You said the crush hazard wasn't as big of an issue as the door opening because it required a guest to be doing something wrong. Falling out of the door would also require a guest to be doing something wrong. Both are in the same category, except the crush issue is a designed-in flaw that is always present, while the door opening requires a mechanical failure that is relatively rare.

Replacing the monorail trains will do literally nothing to prevent that same piece from breaking off and landing in the same spot. The issue there is a matter of shielding to prevent objects from falling all the way to the ground. This is a track issue, not a train issue.

It all comes done to maintenance. Remember, the railway locomotives were neglected, unmaintained workhorses down in Mexico (IIRC), now they look and AFAIK work great.

If you say so. Whether they repair or replace, I’ll get on board with whatever they do, as long as they do something. There’s just been far too many incidents of late for my comfort.

I understand that properly maintained vehicles can last.

I understand there are airplanes older than dirt.

I understand that if Disney were to get new monorails and not maintain them correctly then we’d be in the same spot.

You do realize they do maintain the monorails right? There just comes a point in time where a custom built transportation system gets aged where parts are hard to come by. The monorails were just recently all automated and several have been getting new paint jobs. They do work on these monorails but they are also used every day for roughly 18 Hours a day. They get worn down pretty easily. Of course this incident shouldn’t have happened but I don’t think will prompt Disney to announce new monorails tomorrow or anything.

I think you need to re-read what you wrote. You said the crush hazard wasn't as big of an issue as the door opening because it required a guest to be doing something wrong. Falling out of the door would also require a guest to be doing something wrong. Both are in the same category, except the crush issue is a designed-in flaw that is always present, while the door opening requires a mechanical failure that is relatively rare.

Replacing the monorail trains will do literally nothing to prevent that same piece from breaking off and landing in the same spot. The issue there is a matter of shielding to prevent objects from falling all the way to the ground. This is a track issue, not a train issue.

No. I know what I wrote. I never said it wasn’t a big issue, I said it was a different issue.

A guest doesn’t have to be doing anything wrong to fall out the door. Have you not read all the personal accounts on this thread saying otherwise?

To me, track and train go hand in hand. I don’t see why there can’t be some sort of canopy in place like DL.

If you say so. Whether they repair or replace, I’ll get on board with whatever they do, as long as they do something. There’s just been far too many incidents of late for my comfort.
I can think of two incidents within the last couple years. This door and the monorail getting stuck on the beam. Other than that what else was there? It’s not like this is happening every week. Sure the monorails will have some service issues periodically but people are never on them for that usually and then we see extra buses brought in to help the crowds move.

You do realize they do maintain the monorails right? There just comes a point in time where a custom built transportation system gets aged where parts are hard to come by. The monorails were just recently all automated and several have been getting new paint jobs. They do work on these monorails but they are also used every day for roughly 18 Hours a day. They get worn down pretty easily. Of course this incident shouldn’t have happened but I don’t think will prompt Disney to announce new monorails tomorrow or anything.

Yes, they’re obviously maintained, just not well.

I know they were recently automated and painted. Please don’t assume you know more than I do.

I don’t expect Disney to announce a new fleet. I’ve already said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter