More Cali Grill Brunch questions

Pdollar88

DIS Veteran
Hello! It's starting to sink in that I'll be heading to WDW and Cali Grill Brunch at the end of January. A couple of questions.

What is the dress code for the brunch? I don't want to wear shorts and such, but I want to wear something that I can then head to the parks in. (Nice jeans and a button down?)

What are everyone's favorite dishes? I know I run the risk that they'll change before I go, but I'd love to hear people's opinions.

We went twice recently and everyone enjoyed their entrees. The shrimp and grits, and the lobster eggs benedict were standouts. The steak and eggs had enough steak to give everyone in our party of six a taste of it. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong.

You will see all manner of dress, and what you described will fit in very nicely. Most of the diners were nicely dressed (including the children), and I think even nice shorts and a cute top or a collared shirt would be fine. You will see people in shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops, but the times we were there, they were in the minority.

We had on odd experience on our October visit. The six of us had just entered the elevator when a cast member led another family in - we thought they had the wrong elevator. They were all in park clothes and flip-flops or sandals (which I don't mind at all), but they had just come from an early morning at MK on a very hot, humid day. The dad had completely sweated through his t-shirt, both front and back, and there was a definite sweaty feet smell in the elevator by the time we reached the top. Luckily, they were led left and we went right lol. We've been to Cali Grill several times at both dinner and brunch and this was the first time we had ever seen something like that. Hopefully never again!

Agreeing that nice shorts or jeans and a polo shirt or similar is fine for CG's brunch:).
Our party consisted of 4 guests when we ate there last summer so we were able to sample a nice range of entrees and all were good.
I had the shakshuka, the man opted for lobster benedict; DGD decided on shrimp and grits and a half order of pancakes and grand nephew had berry pancakes and bacon.
I really don't think you can go bad ordering at CG so it really is more about what catches your eye.

Thank you for the responses! I’m glad to know jeans/shorts and a polo will fly.

I may see if I can get one entree and a half order of another (as mentioned). Because, you know, Disney gluttony. :hyper:

Thank you for the responses! I’m glad to know jeans/shorts and a polo will fly.

I may see if I can get one entree and a half order of another (as mentioned). Because, you know, Disney gluttony. :hyper:
We asked about getting a half order when DH and I were there in November, and our server said they no longer do half orders. He suggested each getting an entree and then ordering another entree "for the table." That was way too much for us so we declined. When we were there in October with our children and their spouses, the server said something like "you do you," and said if nothing on the buffet appealed to us (ridiculous!), we could order two entrees instead. But there was no mention of doing a half order like when the brunch first started.

We went after the Wine and Dine half marathon this year. It appeared that some people came directly from racing to eat. Luckily our reservation was after noon, so we were able to shower and change. I wore jeans and a button down shirt, and wish I would have gone with a polo instead.

Our server asked which entree's we wanted. My wife asked if she could have two, and the server said yes. So she ordered the chicken & waffles and Lobster Benedict, and i had the steak and eggs.

California Grill Brunch was the best part of our trip last year and it's at the top of our list when we go next year. I wore a dress and sandals and my boyfriend wore khaki shorts with a short sleeve button up. We went straight to Epcot after and were definitely within Cali Grill dress code while also park comfortable.

For the food I went beast mode and ordered the Crispy-fried Chicken Thigh (delicious but SPICY- be warned) and the Vanilla Bean French Toast. If you like french toast you MUST get it - it was the best I've ever had. I also heard about them doing half orders and of course asked. Our waitress said that only some entrees can be done in a half order but they'd be happy to bring me full plates of whatever I wanted. I felt guilty for wanting to order two breakfasts and then of course I went ahead and ordered two breakfasts. I REGRET NOTHING. Between the two of us we cleared everything, it was that good. Boyfriend got Eggs Benedict, he liked them a lot but I think my plates were better, however his Bloody Mary stole the show.

California Grill Brunch was the best part of our trip last year and it's at the top of our list when we go next year. I wore a dress and sandals and my boyfriend wore khaki shorts with a short sleeve button up. We went straight to Epcot after and were definitely within Cali Grill dress code while also park comfortable.

For the food I went beast mode and ordered the Crispy-fried Chicken Thigh (delicious but SPICY- be warned) and the Vanilla Bean French Toast. If you like french toast you MUST get it - it was the best I've ever had. I also heard about them doing half orders and of course asked. Our waitress said that only some entrees can be done in a half order but they'd be happy to bring me full plates of whatever I wanted. I felt guilty for wanting to order two breakfasts and then of course I went ahead and ordered two breakfasts. I REGRET NOTHING. Between the two of us we cleared everything, it was that good. Boyfriend got Eggs Benedict, he liked them a lot but I think my plates were better, however his Bloody Mary stole the show.

I get more and more excited as I continue to read people's experiences. I'm definitely going to ask if I can order two breakfasts - and likely won't eat much for the rest of the day.

Thank you for sharing!

How early can you show up for your reservation and be seated? I am looking for an early time but no luck so far.

How early can you show up for your reservation and be seated? I am looking for an early time but no luck so far.
We arrived 25 minutes before our ressie and were sat immediately BUT it's always the luck of the draw. Maybe a table had a FP they didn't want to miss and left early; maybe not.

We arrived about half an hour early and were asked to wait until our adr time. It doesn't hurt to ask - we didn't mind waiting either :)

We arrived about 15 minutes early. Our table wasn’t ready, so they let us go up to the lounge and have a mimosa while waiting for the table. We were seated at our ADR time.

Has anyone had recent success with CG brunch last minute cancellations? I've had a TP alert set for 12/2 brunch since the summer. The first alert I got, I was in the middle of the Caribbean Sea on a cruise last month and couldn't get the internet to work fast enough to grab it :sad2: Well, the second alert came through last night and of course I was sound asleep! :sad: Ugh, I'm so frustrated. I refreshed ALL day yesterday at work. The 2nd is my dad's bday and I really want him to experience this! How are the cancellations the day before??

This is probably an unpopular opinion... but I kind of wish they would change this reservation to be prepaid like CRT since it seems to be super hard to get and so limited :duck:

Has anyone had recent success with CG brunch last minute cancellations? I've had a TP alert set for 12/2 brunch since the summer. The first alert I got, I was in the middle of the Caribbean Sea on a cruise last month and couldn't get the internet to work fast enough to grab it :sad2: Well, the second alert came through last night and of course I was sound asleep! :sad: Ugh, I'm so frustrated. I refreshed ALL day yesterday at work. The 2nd is my dad's bday and I really want him to experience this! How are the cancellations the day before??

This is probably an unpopular opinion... but I kind of wish they would change this reservation to be prepaid like CRT since it seems to be super hard to get and so limited :duck:
I had luck two days before for Mother's day. I set up an alert I had a reservation for 2 but needed one for 4. People will cancel before they get charged for not showing up.

Hello! It's starting to sink in that I'll be heading to WDW and Cali Grill Brunch at the end of January. A couple of questions.

What is the dress code for the brunch? I don't want to wear shorts and such, but I want to wear something that I can then head to the parks in. (Nice jeans and a button down?)

What are everyone's favorite dishes? I know I run the risk that they'll change before I go, but I'd love to hear people's opinions.
I've always tried to dress nicely, but park clothes nice since I've gone to the parks each time after eating. There really isn't anywhere on property that strictly enforces the dress code except for Victoria and Albert's. The french toast is beyond amazing, as are the pancakes. I always try to get the very first reservation so we don't have to wait for others to leave the tables since they don't rush you out and then you have the whole day to enjoy after. The buffet selection has really great sushi and deviled eggs, I definitely eat way too many of these, but they are my favorite part. Also, if you're really full at the end of the meal they will box up the desserts for you to take with you.

I had luck two days before for Mother's day. I set up an alert I had a reservation for 2 but needed one for 4. People will cancel before they get charged for not showing up.

I'm crossing my fingers! I have the alert set for 3 (just me and my parents this trip), but with how the reservation system works I wonder if it makes a difference if I change it to 4? I know sometimes different times pop up if you search for 4 vs 6, but not sure if it matters with 3 vs 4 since it would have to be a four top anyway.

That probably sounded like a bunch of mumbo jumbo :rotfl2:

I'm crossing my fingers! I have the alert set for 3 (just me and my parents this trip), but with how the reservation system works I wonder if it makes a difference if I change it to 4? I know sometimes different times pop up if you search for 4 vs 6, but not sure if it matters with 3 vs 4 since it would have to be a four top anyway.

That probably sounded like a bunch of mumbo jumbo :rotfl2:
If you can set two alerts one for three and one for four I would do that. I know Disney's algorithm sometimes makes it difficult for odd numbered tables to get a reservation and you won't be charged for the 4th person not being there if you're able to grab that one

If you can set two alerts one for three and one for four I would do that. I know Disney's algorithm sometimes makes it difficult for odd numbered tables to get a reservation and you won't be charged for the 4th person not being there if you're able to grab that one

Awesome! One more question... what time do you set for the alert? I had 11:30 am, but realized I will miss out on 10 am or after 12:30 reservations. Right now I have one alert set for 3 for 11 am (to cover between 10 am and 12 pm) and then one alert set for 4 for lunch to cover until 1 pm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter