More Off-Site ECV Rental Questions

ReneeQ

DIS Veteran
On past family trips either my mother or I have needed to rent an ECV. We‘ve done both off-site and in-park rentals. Due to some new, and some old but worsening medical problems, I will need to rent us each an ECV this time. I want to rent from off-site so we will have them the entire time and I’m okay with having to meet in the lobby for drop off and pick up. We will be in a 2 bedroom at Bay Lake Tower for 8 nights in May 2020.

I’ve read dozens of threads and can’t figure out who has the best price. Some prices look good, but then it’s extra for the insurance, while other prices include the insurance. Some include cup holders, others charge extra, etc. Does anyone know who has the best price? We would need standard size ECVs.

is it possible to attach a clip on battery powered fan? Has anyone attached a clip on stroller sun umbrella? My mother uses a pronged cane [it stands up when you let go of it]. I’ve seen you can add a cane holder. Would it accommodate a pronged cane?

thanks for any help and sorry for so many questions!

I've rented from Gold Mobility (407-414-0287). Since you are staying on site you would have to meet them. Their scooters do allow for one free accessory (can holder) and does include the insurance.

I personally rented one with a captains chair. It came with a phone holder and portable fan. I got the canopy as my free accessory. (Including tax for one week $193 and change) If you'd like more information, don't hesitate to call them. They will assistant you in making, the right decision for you.

I agree to call a couple of companies and price them out. I used to rent from Buena Vista scooters but their scooter gave me issues (battery wouldn't hold a good charge, super squeaky wheels, really banged up equipment). I switched to Gold Mobility and have been super happy with them. Gold includes some of the things you mention for free - like the insurance, cup holder, fan, phone holder plus one more accessory. I've never gotten the free accessory but I've seen their sun shades and REALLY like the look of them because they aren't these gigantic box canopies but more like an umbrella that folds down when you don't want to use it. Their equipment is in great condition as well. Their price was also less than Buena Vista but I haven't priced other companies in the last year. Call a few places and see what they say!

The simple answer is Gold Mobility, they meet you on your schedule and are there when they say they will be or earlier and will wait for you if they are early.

They have the newest equipment (never more than 6 months old, as they replace their equipment every 6 months) and refurbish and sell the old ones as used.

Their prices include damage insurance.

If there ever is an issue while you are in the parks (very rare given how new they are, most common is someone forgot to charge the night before and they will bring a new fully charged ECV if this happens and not make you feel bad about it), they come directly to you, you don't have to try to push the ECV to the front like some other providers do and they average a 30 minute response time.

They also include on the Victory 10 and Maxima Models:
Fan
USB ports to charge your phone
Cell phone holder
1-2 cup holders
One additional accessory of your choosing (Sunshade, cane holder, rear basket, oxygen holder and possibly others, not sure)

All models get two shower caps to use for covering the controls during rain and 4 ponchos

When they deliver, they will adjust the ECV for your comfort and show you how to operate everything.

Check their reviews on any site, every single one is five stars and there is a reason, they really are that good, even before the recent policy changes they were doing in person deliveries as you are getting off Magical Express or according to your schedule of you had a different preference and honestly they are the only company I would rent from in Florida and have been since I have tried them.

I agree 100% that Gold Mobility Scooter is hands down the best, we have exact appointment time delivery to our resort lobby every time. We never had a single issue with battery life either. We would never use anyone else.

How does this work getting on buses to parks with having a scooter?

Here's some info on boarding/disembarking from buses (and boats) with an ECV:

Make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle at the WDW Resort Hotel bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. (The exception to this is at the Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds, where there are not any white painted rectangles at the internal Resort stops for all of the Loops.)

If the bus that is pulling up is NOT the bus you want, don't worry - just let the driver know that you are waiting for a different bus. When the bus you are waiting for pulls up, I always try to smile, make eye contact, and wave to let the driver know I am waiting for their bus.

Just to ease your mind, the drivers (and captains and Monorail CMs) will all do their best to help you, and coach you with loading/unloading. They are all patient, and quite used to "newbies" - so just let them know right away that it's your first time driving an ECV, and they will help you as best they can 🙂

Typically, the drivers *try* to park with the back doors directly opposite the white painted box, but if they don't, just adjust over so that you will be lined up centered on the back doors. When the ramp comes down, try to be pointed straight at the base of the ramp, and go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV.

Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to run over the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in.

Important to know: the drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into the bus.

You will always board first, and exit last. Your family can walk up the ramp and board behind you. Also good to know: the bus driver will let them know when it is safe to board the bus *after* your ECV is properly tied down. The bus drivers (and all of the transportation CMs) are nothing short of amazing at WDW!

You can take the ECV on all of the boats (except for the smaller launches) and there, the Captains have a portable ramp you should be able to use. It is identical to the portable ramp they will use for you at the Monorail stations. The loading/unloading procedure is actually fairly similar everywhere - you will almost always load first, and exit last.

The new Skyway (gondolas) load at a separate, stopped platform, and do not require a ramp, however you do have to be able to back OUT of the gondola cabin (going straight backwards) when you reach your destination platform.

Here's some info on boarding/disembarking from buses (and boats) with an ECV:

Make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle at the WDW Resort Hotel bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. (The exception to this is at the Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds, where there are not any white painted rectangles at the internal Resort stops for all of the Loops.)

If the bus that is pulling up is NOT the bus you want, don't worry - just let the driver know that you are waiting for a different bus. When the bus you are waiting for pulls up, I always try to smile, make eye contact, and wave to let the driver know I am waiting for their bus.

Just to ease your mind, the drivers (and captains and Monorail CMs) will all do their best to help you, and coach you with loading/unloading. They are all patient, and quite used to "newbies" - so just let them know right away that it's your first time driving an ECV, and they will help you as best they can 🙂

Typically, the drivers *try* to park with the back doors directly opposite the white painted box, but if they don't, just adjust over so that you will be lined up centered on the back doors. When the ramp comes down, try to be pointed straight at the base of the ramp, and go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV.

Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to run over the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in.

Important to know: the drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into the bus.

You will always board first, and exit last. Your family can walk up the ramp and board behind you. Also good to know: the bus driver will let them know when it is safe to board the bus *after* your ECV is properly tied down. The bus drivers (and all of the transportation CMs) are nothing short of amazing at WDW!

You can take the ECV on all of the boats (except for the smaller launches) and there, the Captains have a portable ramp you should be able to use. It is identical to the portable ramp they will use for you at the Monorail stations. The loading/unloading procedure is actually fairly similar everywhere - you will almost always load first, and exit last.

The new Skyway (gondolas) load at a separate, stopped platform, and do not require a ramp, however you do have to be able to back OUT of the gondola cabin (going straight backwards) when you reach your destination platform.
Thank you for this!

WDW bus pictures
Mobility device painted box at resort bus stop.
Let the driver know if you do or don’t want that bus. We try to get eye contact with the driver and repeatedly shake our heads ‘no’ for the bus we don’t want.
Whrn the bus we want comes, we usually point at our daughter’s wheelchair and repeatedly nod ‘yes’.
81DD4036-CE9F-46DA-ADBE-5D33C342CEA9.jpeg

All buses have 2 secure entrance spots. The further front one in this picture is occupied by my daughter’s wheelchair
The blue set of seats behind her folds up to make another securemrnt location.
B7812A21-FB1C-46CF-8AD2-A5DE4DD958EF.jpeg

This shows the same seat folded up to make a wheelchair/ECV securement space.
the 2 red straps at the back attach to the back of the mobility device.
The back diagonal strap is part of the seat belt. If you plan on sitting on the device in the bus, it’s highly recommended to use the seat belt.

4 wheeled mobility devices (unless they are very narrow) are fairly stable. 3 wheeled devices are more prone to tipping even if they are secured correctly. For those, it’s best to transfer to a bus seat.

75B6BBA2-CE73-42D8-8453-15E7C3D00BAD.jpeg

@SueM in MN - Those pictures are awesome for showing how it works! 🙂

Also, totally OT, but those blue sandals (those are sandals, right?) your daughter has on are *so* cute! 🙂 They look super comfy!
Thanks.
they are nice ‘fresh’ pictures. We just got home from a 16 day trip on 11/9/19

My daughter loves those sandals. She says they are comfy - and they still protect her toes From bumps.

Has anyone folded up a 3 wheel scooter to be put in the trunk of a rental car? It looks so big!
Most of the rental scooters that are portable come apart into about 5 pieces, rather than folding up. Do you have (or will you be renting) a scooter model that folds or comes apart? If it's a portable model it should fit in a rental car. It may depend what size rental car you have reserved and will you have other luggage as well?

Enjoy your vacation!

So I gather that the white boxes may be a stop for all busses rather than destination specific (I assume this is it hotels rather than the parks). What is the protocol if there’s someone else already in the white box, but you’re not going to the same place and your bus comes before theirs? Is there any reason I shouldn’t flag down that bus, even if my person isn’t actually in the box? Will be using a scooter (rented from Gold) for the first time, so am figuring out as much as possible in advance. Thank you!

So I gather that the white boxes may be a stop for all busses rather than destination specific (I assume this is it hotels rather than the parks). What is the protocol if there’s someone else already in the white box, but you’re not going to the same place and your bus comes before theirs? Is there any reason I shouldn’t flag down that bus, even if my person isn’t actually in the box? Will be using a scooter (rented from Gold) for the first time, so am figuring out as much as possible in advance. Thank you!

Yes - those boxes are at the Resort Hotels (the exception being Ft. Wilderness bus stops).

If someone else is already parked in the box, and your bus arrives, don't worry - first of all, the bus drivers will typically pop their head out to ask anyone/everyone in an ECV and/or wheelchair if they want that bus. That's because they load folks with mobility devices first.

But, if you want to, feel free to wave and smile at the Driver, even if the member of your travel party can't park in the white box! 🙂 Remember that ambulatory members of the party are usually asked to wait outside the bus until the Driver has the device tied down, and then the Driver will invite you to board as well.

And the first few times y'all use the bus, just let the Drivers know that you are new to using a mobility device - they will be very helpful!

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have about using a device at WDW; I bet that one of us will have the answer for you! 🙂

Yes - those boxes are at the Resort Hotels (the exception being Ft. Wilderness bus stops).

If someone else is already parked in the box, and your bus arrives, don't worry - first of all, the bus drivers will typically pop their head out to ask anyone/everyone in an ECV and/or wheelchair if they want that bus. That's because they load folks with mobility devices first.

But, if you want to, feel free to wave and smile at the Driver, even if the member of your travel party can't park in the white box! 🙂 Remember that ambulatory members of the party are usually asked to wait outside the bus until the Driver has the device tied down, and then the Driver will invite you to board as well.

And the first few times y'all use the bus, just let the Drivers know that you are new to using a mobility device - they will be very helpful!

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have about using a device at WDW; I bet that one of us will have the answer for you! 🙂

Thank you very much! Being new to this, I wanted to be certain I wasn’t overstepping someone without realizing it. I’ve found great info here already- the white box thing being a big one lol.

Interestingly, I traveled earlier this year w a family member that had a broken foot and was under doctors orders to be 100% non-weight bearing. After that experience, I actually watched some of the accessibility ride vids and info for Disney, out of pure curiosity since nobody was expected to have compromised mobility.

This has literally been last minute with a family member getting severe pain in the last week or two. She was diagnosed with early stage RA and I literally rented the scooter for her last night, and we fly out on Friday.

Fortunately between the vids I’d already seen and the info here, I actually feel pretty good about the situation in terms of preparation. This really is an awesome resource! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!