More women, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

This has been a topic of previous discussions....I think the issue is getting the ladies time freed up, they have a lot of other responsibilities and getting there to film is probably difficult. I agree it would be nice to get more varied opinions. One thing is for sure, they make a great effort putting the best product possible out there -whether it’s men or women.

Considering the last thread got locked, I see a similar future for this one.

I think the show would benefit greatly with the addition of another woman to the programming. It is unfortunate that the women they currently have are unable to be consistent regulars on the show and they really have never replaced Jennilynn, who I feel made programming like the Universal Show better. Also, it would be great to have someone consistently on these shows that has younger children. I feel a lot of their topics lack that perspective. For example, quite recently when they were discussing the opening of Toy Story Land and their lack of excitement for it. Thankfully Corey was on that episode or I think think an important perspective would have been missed. What makes these shows so great is the diversity of opinions from a lot of different perspectives and I think they have more then enough younger guys with no kids currently on their staff.

For me, it's not so much a gender thing as it is a family thing. I'm not talking about who has the best chicken nuggets...just saying it's a very different thing when it's just myself and DH vs. the whole family. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the content and there's useful info, but just thinking it would make a lot of sense since I'm sure Dreams is selling to quite a few families (vs. travelers without children).

I agree! They need a woman’s perspective on these shows. Also, someone with children would be a nice addition. I am not just talking about the weekly show. I am talking about the Dining Show and Best and Worst. We need more diversity.
Dare we say even a female and some POC? with kids? That enjoy Disney? I bet I could throw a fork in Orlando and hit a few.

I agree that they key thing missing is the family perspective, not necessarily a male or female thing.

Jennilynn filled this gap by being a Disney obsessed parent. That's the perspective missing.

Regardless, I love the shows anyway. If they ever need a single dad with 3 kids to contribute, I'm available. :cool:

This topic comes up a lot and I do get it and wanting to see other points of view, but at the same time what this channel is, is the points of view of these team members - and you just have to take it at that. What they say isn't Gospel, it doesn't mean it is true for everyone, it is just their take, from their point of view. Other channels have different points of view

I do think they have a lot of diversity represented in other ways:
- different ages
- different sexual orientation
- different marital status
- kids/no kids
- etc.

It's hard for any one podcast to have every single area covered. Could they have more women? sure! Persons of Color? sure! Single parents? Sure! Asian Americans? sure! Every single different type of disability covered? sure! and a ton more

They have some that other podcast don't and are missing some that others don't ... I get wanting to see points of view that are closer to your situation represented, but I know what they say doesn't always fit for me (I am a parent with 3 young kids so I know my view / anticipation for Toy Story Land is going to likely be a lot different than theirs - but I still listen for their take on thing, but just know that is all it is)

I do think they have a lot of diversity represented in other ways:
- different ages
- different sexual orientation
- different marital status
- kids/no kids
- etc.

ETC.? I'll give the list you stated and maybe add parents of a child with a disability for Corey. But honestly, a very large one is missing I'm not saying that there should be a checklist but, and again not knowing all peoples ethnic background, the crew appears to consist of mainly white members.

ETC.? I'll give the list you stated and maybe add parents of a child with a disability for Corey. But honestly, a very large one is missing I'm not saying that there should be a checklist but, and again not knowing all peoples ethnic background, the crew appears to consist of mainly white members.

I am sure there are other element - length of time they have been in the Orlando area, different schooling backgrounds, different levels of wealth - lots of different ways that people can bring different points of view based on their background and experiences.

That is true that they appear (at least) to be mostly white - though not sure who gets to determine what is a "very large one" vs a small level of diversity. There are certainly some specific news items that race plays a role, but does that impact how much one would look forward to Toy Story Land or things like that - which are the vast majority of what is covered is Walt Disney World itself. One could definitely argue that Kids vs no kids would be much more relevant to the majority of the discussion topics.

Phil, I respect you all so much I really do but I have to disagree I feel like you make the interest in seeing more women like we just requested a full blown representation of the country.
I think wanting to see more women, it's not that big of a deal and it's genuinely a HUGE part of their company, their clients and their fan base.
On last week's episode on YouTube a suggestion they need women/moms for their new stories like TSL or John Lasseter gathered 51 likes. On the restroom episode, a comment asking for more women on the B&W got 130 likes.

I think there is genuine, and significant, interest in seeing more women in the content.

Phil, I respect you all so much I really do but I have to disagree I feel like you make the interest in seeing more women like we just requested a full blown representation of the country.
I think wanting to see more women, it's not that big of a deal and it's genuinely a HUGE part of their company, their clients and their fan base.
On last week's episode on YouTube a suggestion they need women/moms for their new stories like TSL or John Lasseter gathered 51 likes. On the restroom episode, a comment asking for more women on the B&W got 130 likes.

I think there is genuine, and significant, interest in seeing more women in the content.

Maybe I am not saying it clearly - I am not trying to say wanting more women is incorrect or anything, I get wanting to see it and I get making the suggestion is valid (and Pete has shown to listen to past suggestions ... and he hired JL in the past so not like he is opposed to it) - more just trying to put in context that what they are sharing is just one point of view, their point of view - it doesn't represent the entire view of any given topic.

and I definitely get for specific news items having other views would be helpful and also for things like the bathroom or some food topics. But for, say, the bathroom topic, I just see it as "based on our experience in the parks, these are what we think are the best bathrooms. Your experience might be very different if dealing with kids or the women's room might be different then the men's, etc."

Maybe for some of those topics there would be a way for an alternative take to be shared? Such as an article that gets posted from a contributor that is coming at it from a different point of view?

BTW - I really do appreciate your comment and if I came off as minimizing the validity of anyone opinion that is definitely not want I intended

Here is the thing though, the Dis unplugged podcasts is a small set of a much larger company but a company that is spread out over a large area and not so large enough that salaries for content creation is something I suspect is large part of the budget. Most of the TAs dont live in and Around the Studio, and as such they would need to hire more people to be on the show, Yes they already have women that are on the show, but not everyone can always be on every show. The Dis Unplugged isnt a broadcasting company with huge advertising revenues that allow them to hire people willy nilly. I understand that people want more representation in what they watch but you have to give Pete and the Team a break, they cant just hire anyone off the street especially since the Dis is for all intensive Purpose a project of passion which limits the people that would fit on the shows line up. I give Pete and the team the credit for building what they have with the people they were able to get. Is there parts that are lacking a specific groups viewpoint, I am sure there is but thats not the focus of the show, the focus of the show is people who love Disney sharing all they can about Disney and trying to keep everyone apprised of the changes that happen within the Giant Beast that is Disney from there point of view. If someone doesnt feel that there specific viewpoint isnt shown that is perfectly fine but people are not forced to watch the programming, there are other Disney Content creators out there, and everyone is free to watch them as well.

All I ask is to give the team some slack, there are more issues then just not having enough women with free time to be on the show. There is a logistical and team dynamic issues that have to be taken in to consideration that we as the viewers are likely to never know about

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter