Morgan on the Dis unplugged

I applaud the disunplugged for hiring a military spouse.
Military spouses are often passed over for jobs for the reason you cite.

These families sacrifice so much. I would love to see a movement by small businesses to provide full and part-time opportunities to spouses of our Armed Forces.

The Disunplugged has many other employees who move on after a short time for various reasons (most recently Steve Porter for family reasons).

Military spouses have unique view points and experiences and much to offer in the workplace.

I know about the job struggles of military spouses and agree. I have been one for 20 years.

But, I've also been living in So Cal for 15 of those 20 years, although we are an anomaly as far as that is concerned.

I thought they mentioned that he husband is stationed in Japan.

Did they? I thought he was stateside. Didn't Pete meet him on one of his recent So Cal trips?

He may be DEPLOYED to Japan, now, but it he was stationed there full time, she would go with him, I would imagine. A lot of spouses move back home during deployments, so maybe that is what's going on? Who knows.

Did they? I thought he was stateside. Didn't Pete meet him on one of his recent So Cal trips?

He may be DEPLOYED to Japan, now, but it he was stationed there full time, she would go with him, I would imagine. A lot of spouses move back home during deployments, so maybe that is what's going on? Who knows.
I think a lot of non-military folks confuse the terms "stationed" and "deployed".

I know about the job struggles of military spouses and agree. I have been one for 20 years.

But, I've also been living in So Cal for 15 of those 20 years, although we are an anomaly as far as that is concerned.
@DLgal - Thank you to your spouse for their service, and thank you, and the rest of your family, for your contribution and sacrifice as well.

I was stationed at the old Naval Shipyard/Base in Long Beach for 4 years in the late 70's and early 80's, but it gave me a deep love for SoCal, and I miss it SO much. Such beauty. Back in those days, DL used to close down several times a year for "Military Nights", and I always enjoyed that. We also used to get into all the LA Angels baseball games, as long as we showed up early, in uniform, to carry the giant flag onto the field before the games. Wonderful memories!!

That's a blast from the past that I remember too. I think it was down by Church Street Station along with Tower on Church Street (terrifying haunted house). Anyhoo......
Yes, I remember hearing fairy tales of a wonderful place I longed to be (anywhere BUT Recruit Training Command, NavSta Orlando!) :rotfl2: called Church Street Station............

@DLgal - Thank you to your spouse for their service, and thank you, and the rest of your family, for your contribution and sacrifice as well.

I was stationed at the old Naval Shipyard/Base in Long Beach for 4 years in the late 70's and early 80's, but it gave me a deep love for SoCal, and I miss it SO much. Such beauty.

I agree, we're never leaving! LOL. My husband is retiring next year and this is our home. We both were from northern CA and Camp Pendleton was our first duty station, but we ended up in Orange county when he was stationed at Seal Beach Naval weapons station in 2004 and after a brief 4 years in NoVA, we came back to Pendleton and came right back to the city our kids were born in, which is "home" for us all now. IMO, Orange County is the jewel of Southern CA. Midway between San Diego and Los Angeles without the traffic headaches of either. And, Disneyland and the most beautiful beaches in the state.

I agree, we're never leaving! LOL. My husband is retiring next year and this is our home. We both were from northern CA and Camp Pendleton was our first duty station, but we ended up in Orange county when he was stationed at Seal Beach Naval weapons station in 2004 and after a brief 4 years in NoVA, we came back to Pendleton and came right back to the city our kids were born in, which is "home" for us all now. IMO, Orange County is the jewel of Southern CA. Midway between San Diego and Los Angeles without the traffic headaches of either. And, Disneyland and the most beautiful beaches in the state.
@DLgal - OMG Seal Beach! I was stationed with MOMAG (Mobile Mine Assembly Group) Detachment 1, out on the "mole" (a long peninsula that stuck out from the base into Long Beach Harbor), but personnel (and occasionally me!) used to have to take frequent trips over to Seal Beach, where a lot of the already-assembled mines were kept, etc. You bring back SUCH memories!!

My fave areas from when I was out there were Rancho Palos Verdes, Pacific Heights, Belmont Shores and Heights, Newport, Huntington,, Manhattan, and Redondo Beaches, and of course Carmel and Santa Barbara. And also the general San Diego area, especially Chula Vista. Don't know if any of those areas are anywhere near the same as that LONG time ago, but they are etched firmly in my mid, and heart. I was also fortunate enough to have lived off base most of my time there, right along Ocean Blvdl, in downtown Long Beach. Even had 1 studio apartment I shared with another WAVE right ON the gorgeous beach!! It was tight with 2 of us, but WELL wroth the sacrifice. And after living h the barracks, it was HEAVEN to us! LOL. One of the girls I was closest to was from NOCal, Yucaipa. She took me home with her 1 time, and it was gorgeous too.

OMG - my heart is swelling with wonderful memories now! I have never wanted to go back, because it physically hurt like somebody ripping my heart out of my chest when I left in '84, but have been wanting to see it all again, more and more, as I get older.

@DLgal - OMG Seal Beach! I was stationed with MOMAG (Mobile Mine Assembly Assembly Group) Detachment 1, out on the "mole" (a log peninsula that stuck out from the base into Long Beach Harbor), but personnel (and occasionally me!) used to have to take frequent trips over to Seal Beach, where a lot of the already-assembled mines were kept, etc. You bring back SUCH memories!!

My fave areas from when I was out there were Rancho Palos Verdes, Pacific Heights, Belmont Shores and Heights, Newport, Huntington,, Manhattan, and Redondo Beaches, and of course Carmel and Santa Barbara. And also the general San Diego area, especially Chula Vista. Don't know if any of those areas are anywhere near the same as that LONG time ago, but they are etched firmly in my mid, and heart. I was also fortunate enough to have lived off base most of my time there, right along Ocean Blvdl, in downtown Long Beach. Even had 1 studio apartment I shared with another WAVE right ON the gorgeous beach!! It was tight with 2 of us, but WELL wroth the sacrifice. And after living h the barracks, it was HEAVE to us! LOL. One of the girls I was closest to was from NOCal, Yucaipa. She took me home with her 1 time, and it was gorgeous too.

OMG - my heart is swelling with wonderful memories now! I have never wanted to go back, because it physically hurt like somebody ripping my heart out of my chest when I left in '84, but have been wanting to see it all again, more and more, as I get older.

Newport Beach is one of my favorite cities. We live next door in Irvine. My husband's aunt lives on Ocean Blvd in Long Beach! She has lived there since the 80s in the same oceanfront apartment.

San Diego has changed QUITE a lot even since we lived in Oceanside 15 or so years ago. I'm sure if you visited, a lot would be unrecognizable, but I find the Long Beach area hasn't changed that much. You can still see all the buried mines from the 405 freeway when you drive by Seal Beach NWS.

Last edited:
As the poster, I admit I don’t know the difference.
Think of where you are stationed as being your home office. You work there daily and live nearby.

Think of deployment as an extended business trip your job sends you on. You still have your home and your family back where you are stationed but for a few months, you are working somewhere else before returning home to where you are stationed. A quick search says the average deployment ranges from about 4-9 months though certainly some are longer.

I like Morgan, but I think it was pretty weird to hire someone who is married to a Marine and won't be staying in the So Cal area long term. I think they already mentioned she is moving... Seems kinda short sighted.

Yeah, kinda weird that a Walt Disney world social media channel hired someone who used to work at Walt Disney world, with social media experience and a pre existing 10k strong social media following to handle some of their social media responsibilities. Or, not weird / short sighted at all...

Sarcasm aside... two things:
1) I think a lot of people on here place too much expectation on these guys to be lifers the moment they join the dis. Since I started watching in about 2015, Dustin, JL, Oliver, Charles, Steve and a few others have come & gone... and that’s fine! This is, after all, their job. People move jobs all the time, for a million different reasons. Some of these guys are only gonna be here a while. We all thought Oliver was here long term, and he lasted less than a year. We think Morgan may be a short term thing, but it wouldn’t shock me if someone told me she’d already been around a year, feels like she’s been on the DL show quite a while.

2) seems some people are assuming that she pushed for the move - it’s just as likely she’s been asked to move here to pick up Steve’s responsibilities. We’ll probably never know, and that’s ok.

1) I think a lot of people on here place too much expectation on these guys to be lifers the moment they join the dis. Since I started watching in about 2015, Dustin, JL, Oliver, Charles, Steve and a few others have come & gone... and that’s fine! This is, after all, their job. People move jobs all the time, for a million different reasons. Some of these guys are only gonna be here a while.
This is such a great point. Pete and John own the company. Kevin is married to John. Those 3 aren't going anywhere. Teresa is kind of family (she's related to Pete's ex). The rest of them are employees. As you said, people come and go for various reasons. Sometimes the job just isn't a good fit. Sometimes something better comes along. Sometimes family obligations take you across the country. The list is endless. Especially for younger team members who are just getting started in their careers, the likelihood of them staying long term is pretty low. Someone like Kathy probably isn't looking to advance her career and move on but somebody young like Dustin or Steve may only view this as an entry-level position and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that if they do.

Yeah, kinda weird that a Walt Disney world social media channel hired someone who used to work at Walt Disney world, with social media experience and a pre existing 10k strong social media following to handle some of their social media responsibilities. Or, not weird / short sighted at all...

Sarcasm aside... two things:
1) I think a lot of people on here place too much expectation on these guys to be lifers the moment they join the dis. Since I started watching in about 2015, Dustin, JL, Oliver, Charles, Steve and a few others have come & gone... and that’s fine! This is, after all, their job. People move jobs all the time, for a million different reasons. Some of these guys are only gonna be here a while. We all thought Oliver was here long term, and he lasted less than a year. We think Morgan may be a short term thing, but it wouldn’t shock me if someone told me she’d already been around a year, feels like she’s been on the DL show quite a while.

2) seems some people are assuming that she pushed for the move - it’s just as likely she’s been asked to move here to pick up Steve’s responsibilities. We’ll probably never know, and that’s ok.

What's weird is that they hired her to be a Disneyland correspondent, specifically, rather than finding someone local whose home is there long term. I don't think it's weird that she was hired in general. She clearly has lots of relevant experience and has ties to Orlando, and it makes sense that she'd go back there during a deployment. It's handy timing that Steve is just departing so there is an opening.

But now, again, Disneyland has no full time representation with someone close enough to visit frequently.

I don't think it's weird at all. Things change, opportunities arise, and then the DIS Unplugged evolves. Morgan recently moved to Orlando, and with the holidays and the auction, plus all of the other things going on, I believe the team leads will work out new options as time permits. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter