Most Compact Resorts (Val, Mod, & Del) for walking difficulties

marybogue

Mouseketeer
I tried to search previous threads, but I am looking for the most compact resorts in each category.

My mom has had multiple hip replacements and walks with a limp. She will rent a scooter for the parks, but is adamant about walking on her own as much as possible. So, knowing the smallest resort in each price category is much appreciated.

Or if you have done Disney with walking difficulties, what resort worked best for you as far as proximity to buses and resort food options?

THANKS! :flower1:

If I had an issue, I'd want to be at Port Orleans French Quarter, which is a moderate. It is a very compact resort and if you fax in your requests you have a chance of being close to the buses, food court, and lobby all fairly on top of one another.
Wilderness Lodge has all of their rooms in the same building for a Deluxe. If you stay in Tower rooms at Contemporary it's all same building with elevators (plus quick access to the monorail), but the outer building is a bit of a walk so you'd have to stay main building. I don't know too much about the value resorts but they all seem relatively big to me. PP mentions Port Orleans French Quarter and that's the best moderate option by far for a short walk.

For Deluxe, I stayed at WL over the summer and felt like we did very little walking at our resort. BWI, Poly, YC, and especially AKL, I felt like I did a lot of walking. I've never stayed at BC, GF, or CR.

For Moderate, definitely POFQ.

I've never stayed at a value so I have no suggestions.

POFQ is really the only compact resort, I believe that WL has the shortest hallways of all the deluxes and the main building at CR. All others would depend on your room location and if you pick one of them request room close to lobby etc.

Values - none of them. All will have a lot of walking. If you pay for a preferred room - that can help. Unless renting a Nemo family suite - AoA is huge (LM rooms are a hike). All-Stars and POP - probably no real difference if you are in a preferred room closer to the main lobby area.

Mods - right now - POFQ is the winner by a landslide. Still request a room close to the lobby, though - a couple of the buildings definitely are farther away. (That might change to CSR when the new tower opens). If you decide on the mod price range - I'd definitely go with this one.

Deluxe - you can be very central in all of them - or very far in some. Probably the tower part of CR is the most compact, though.

I'd go with POFQ for Mod - the others are huge. For Deluxe, Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary; even Garden Wing isn't a hike.

Value, abandon all hope. If you pay for a Preferred Family Suite at AOA that would be okay, but paying for the Fmaily Suite would pretty much nuke any savings from a Value.

The last time we stayed at French Quarter I got bored and actually timed my walks. From the boats to the lobby 6 minutes and that was the longest walk. If you book one of their pool view rooms you would be about 3 to 4 minutes from everything.

POFQ is the best official Disney resort. But if you are willing to do a non-Disney resort, I just took my dad to Disney in October and for his convenience we stayed at the Swan. I was trying to limit his walking as much as possible, and it worked out great. We were steps away from the boat launch, so getting to the Studios and Epcot was super easy. The bus stop is right at the main building too so getting to the bus stop took maybe 5 minutes from leaving the room to being at the stop. Dad really liked it and has mentioned how easy that location was on him.

I should add that Dad is very mobile, does most of the household chores and grocery shops. But he had a heart attack a couple of years ago, and is 77 years old. So nice and easy were the key words for that trip. And the Swan worked.

We love POFQ because of its small size. Right now it is our favorite Disney resort to stay at. We stayed at akl last year and thought the walk from our room to the lobby was kind of long plus it’s through hallways. It’s nice to walk outside at POFQ as long the weather cooperates.

WL or CR (tower) have the least walking. For WL, book a standard room as they are more centrally located. CR tower is up/down in the elevator. The floors themselves are not that long.

Port Orleans French Quarter. It's pretty. It's small. Even the farthest rooms aren't exactly far. I think a Garden View at POFQ is probably the best bet for the most reasonable price. A preferred room at a Value could potentially work out, but as far as being close to everything at once, it's hard to beat POFQ.

Editing to add: It also has a boat to Disney Springs.

Any Value if you book a preferred location would be ok. As Mentioned POFQ is compact and request a location close to food court & bus. Building 4 is a great location. I’ve found GF is pretty small and either Big Pine or Boca Chica are close to lobby, & pools. Poly is dependant on location. Raratonga and Niue are closest to lobby. At YC/BC, WL or AKL if you request room location close to lobby elevator you should be good.

I would have any room location requests noted on your reservation and put the reason why. Mobility issues. You can also fax the resort room assignor around 5 days before arrival to explain your requests and why you need that.
For a scooter I’d rent from a local company rather than from a park. It will be a lot cheaper, and I believe the off site scooters are more compact as well. Renting at the park is quite expensive. Off site rentals will deliver to your resort.

I am 71 and have problems walking long distances. As a PP mentioned the Swan is perfect. Close to several restaurants, the boats and buses are close. Plus you can ride the scooter to both EP and HS. I rent a local scooter instead of one from the park. They are half the price, are delivered to you, you can get additional baskets and a detachable top. If you want to walk you just park it or let a weary family member drive it! POFQ is also great but has limited food choices. All of those distances change though if you have the scooter at the resort! I strongly recommend that.

Contemporary or Bay Lake Tower are very easy to get to food, pool, bus stop, and have the monorail

I think much of Pop Century is fairly compact especially if you get a room in the 60s or 70s sections. You don’t even need a preferred room. Each building is T shaped with elevators in the crux, so you exit the same place whether or not your room is preferred.

Really, what you don’t want there are the 80s and 90s buildings and Building 2 in the 50s. The other 50s buildings (1 and 3, I believe) are fine. :)

We have stayed at POR for many years, and always in the AB section. The walk is not far to the Mill or bus stops from that area. My husband had back surgery and had no problem in the AB section. We usually stayed in bldg. 26 or 27, if we didn't want to pay for preferred. I would suggest staying in preferred, which is very close to the main bldg. and bus stop. We love that resort, but we didn't walk to the pool or other areas of the resort, so it was fine.
We are trying POFQ next due to the dog policy at POR, which is sad as we absolutely love that resort.
Don't write POR off due to it's size, just book preferred.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter