Mother-Daughter One Day Trip....questions

ToyStory3

DIS Veteran
Hi - I go to California once every two years for a conference. I stay in Laguna Beach for a few days, but then I always end my trip with one amazing day at at the parks. I've done it twice now and I'm completely in love with DL! I get there early in the day and stay until they are pretty much kicking me out.

This year I'm taking my 14 YO daughter as it falls over her spring break. Our family loves WDW so I know she's going to be in heaven. She's always wanted to go to California...but most of all has dreamed of seeing DL. We will be there on 3/29/19.

Here are our plans so far and these things cannot be changed.....
  • Staying at Park Vue Inn (stayed there once before and love how close it is)
  • Will probably get to the park around 9:30 (cannot get there earlier due to morning schedule)
  • We will have park hoppers and plan on getting Max Pass
  • We can stay until park closing
  • I really like starting out in Fantasyland first thing
Here are my questions....
  • With MaxPass are you also able to get paper fast passes?
  • If we want to ride Cars at night can I choose a late return time if I try to get one in the morning? Should I try to get that first before securing others? My other high priority ride is Indiana Jones...I'd love to be able to do that one twice...it's my favorite!
  • Are the corn dogs at Stage Door Cafe the same as Little Red Wagon? I like going to Stage Door better but wasn't sure if I'm missing out.
  • Is it possible to catch WOC without lining up early? We don't do a lot of the shows or parades...we are attraction junkies. But, this is one show that looks really great. I just don't want to use up a lot of time on it. We will probably skip if we need to be there an hour or so in advance...but are willing to have a less than ideal view of it.
  • What are your favorite counter service restaurants in each park? We don't want to spend time on table service meals so we can hit as many rides as possible. As a point of reference our favorite CS in WDW is Columbia Harbour House and France's Les Halles. We also enjoy a really good burger and fries.
Thanks so much for any feedback on our plans! It's greatly appreciated!!

- You can use MP or paper FP, but not for the same ride at the same time.
- MP doesn't let you choose your return time, you get what is offered. If you want a late return time, keep checking the app to see what return times are being offered, then grab your FPs when the times are right for you. Ride RSR earlier doing standby or SR. If the return times are relatively short, you can try to get FPs for RSR early, use them, then grab FPs again for a later time. You cannot hold two sets of FPs for the same ride at the same time.
RSR FPs have been running out by/around noon lately, so keep a sharp eye on those return times. And be watching the app before you go through the gates. Have your credit card on file on the app so that you can scan your tickets in as soon as you activate at the gates and purchase MP -- takes about a minute. Then get your first FP.
- Corn dogs at Stage Door Cafe come with fries. Corn dogs at Little Red Wagon come with chips.
- Best option for the best view of WOC without the long wait is to book the WOC Dessert Party. Pricey, but worth it for the reserved seats (actual chairs), the dessert plate, servers, and the great view.
- Food & Wine Festival will be going on in DCA on 3/29. That might be something fun for you to try. The menus haven't been published yet, but keep checking here. F&W starts March 1st. Also check the Disney Food Blog.
Having your credit card on file on the app will let you use Mobile Ordering at CS locations -- so that can save a lot of time!

Last edited:
I would see what the return times are for Indy and RSR when you get to the parks on Friday. DCA will have had their EMH that morning, which can impact RSR FP return times. Personally, I would see what the wait time for Indy is and what the return time is when you get into the park. If it's up and running and the wait isn't bad and/or the return time is fairly soon, I would go ahead and do that. Mostly, my feeling is that Indy goes down so often, it's best to ride it as early as possible just in case it goes down. If you want RSR at night, you're going to have to watch the wait times in the app and then grab it when you get to a time you want. As mentioned, you cannot select your return time, so you have to wait. Just remember, that once you get a FP, you generally have to wait a bit (e.g., 90 minutes or until the next window opens or you redeem the FP you made) until you can get another FP. So make sure you time things out so you don't miss out on RSR. The other option is to wait until almost the end of the night and then get into the RSR standby line.

You're going to be there during Spring Break and WoC is finally back up after a fairly lengthy absence, so I would expect the interest to be pretty high. I would guess that you'd need to devote significant time if you want a really good spot. That being said, given that the show FPs aren't linked to the rest of the FP system, I would go ahead a pull a FP for WoC and then make a decision closer to show time. At least that gives you more flexibility than if you didn't get the FP. Otherwise, as theluckyrabbit said, the WoC Dessert Party is probably the only other option for you. The dining packages don't really save you much time because you still have to get there early to be one of the first guests into the viewing area to get a good spot.

DL has a lot of pretty good counter service options. My favorites include Jolly Holiday (they have really good desserts, much like Les Halles), the Plaza Inn (the fried chicken is really good), and the French Market (most everything is yummy!). My family also likes the Beast Burger over at the Red Rose Tavern (also, I actually like their version of the Grey Stuff better than the one at BOG).

I won't touch on most of your questions since theluckyrabbit and figment_jii gave you great answers. I will chime in on food and I second plaza inn or the french market. The fried chicken plate (with an extra side of mashed potatoes) my husband and I usually split as a light lunch. From french market we really enjoy the beef stew and the roast chicken plate. The roast chicken plate is a pretty decent size and could also be split as a light lunch. Troubadour tavern serves loaded baked potatoes that are super yummy and could be considered a snack or a light meal. The bacon mac and cheese from the cozy cones in DCA is a great snack when shared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter