Mother makes Federal Case out of son cut from soccer team

i always find it odd when I hear about juniors playing JV. Doesn't happen at my kids' school. Didn't happen when I was in school.

i always find it odd when I hear about juniors playing JV. Doesn't happen at my kids' school. Didn't happen when I was in school.
Happens here. My son made the HS soccer team as an 8th grader last year. The state rule is 8th graders can't be on the field if a junior is on the field (for either team). He missed 3-4 games because of that.

This year he's a freshman playing varsity. The only junior on JV is the keeper who is the backup for V.

I think it all depends on numbers and skill level. I have no problems with juniors on JV, provided they're also not getting a lot of minutes on V.

It all varies with the number of players that a school has try out for the teams. The school my son is at only has a rule not allowing seniors to be on the JV roster, but they're also no-cut for soccer. Teams can have as many players as they'd like on a roster, just as long as they don't have more than 18 active players for a given game. A couple years ago, our varsity team had a couple seniors who really just weren't very good - they practiced with the team every day, but were usually inactive for games. Occasionally, they were on the active roster, when we had injuries and such. And Senior night, they started all 11 Seniors, but subbed out a couple of the boys after a couple minutes.

Some schools around us have a large number of boys come out for soccer, so there's always cuts - and that's with 3 teams (Varsity, JV-A and JV-B). Other sports, needless to say, are worse, just due to the nature of the sports. For example, our freshman volleyball team apparently cut 14 girls - they took 10 for the roster out of 24 girls.

So where was this woman's sense of righteousness before. What was she doing to fight the age/sex discrimination at the school?
Oh that's right she was on the sidelines watching the games. No reason to care as long as her precious snowflake was on the team.

We have in secondary school grades 9-12. Ages 13-17 at the start of the school year. Grades 9&10 (age 13-15) play on the junior teams, grade 11-12 (age 16-18) play on the senior team. If you are good enough a junior aged player can play on both being "called up" to play on the senior team. However a senior aged player can not go down and play on the junior aged team. I assume in this case the boy is a "Junior" or in grade 11? We refer to the grade and age, we don't call them freshmen, sophomore, junior and senior.

I was permitted to compete in JV only meets (track & field) as a junior, but only because I was still 16. Juniors who had turned 17 were excluded. At combined JV/Varsity meets, I had to run Varsity which meant I didn’t get to run as many events (because there were faster guys than me on Varsity).

At least Mom didn't hire a hit man to rub out the son's rivals like that Texas cheerleader mom did years ago.

when my kids were in their high school years and they'd complain about something so totally ridiculous being unfair at school i would say 'so do i need to get involved-do you want me to go all texas cheerleader mama on their butts?':rotfl::rotfl:

This is ridiculous. DD tried out for a dance team here when she was in 4th grade and didn't make it. The teacher said (after auditions) that she doesn't allow 4th graders on the team. One of the girls that made it was a classmate of my daughter's - in 4th grade. Guess I should've sued.

Wait....juniors aren't permitted on the JV team? In my high school JV was mostly juniors and sophomores, with maybe an occasional skilled freshman. The varsity teams were mainly seniors with a handful of juniors.

Wait....juniors aren't permitted on the JV team? In my high school JV was mostly juniors and sophomores, with maybe an occasional skilled freshman. The varsity teams were mainly seniors with a handful of juniors.
It's all going to come down to numbers which will vary based on school. Since the article was about soccer, my son's varsity team (18 on the roster) had 9 seniors, 5 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 2 freshman. The only junior that played on JV was the GK and he's the backup (now the starter since our season ended tonight) on Varsity.

The team that beat us had 3 sophomores. The rest were juniors and seniors.

Nope. If you couldn't make varsity by your junior year, you were cut.

Maybe the family should have spent the lawsuit $ on private coaching for their kid if it was such a big deal to them/him. Get his playing level where it needs to be to be to make the team next year. It’s called a goal and you have to put effort into achieving it. Great life lesson for this age.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!