Motion Sickness - Flight of Passage

100% agree with your comment about air flow. I get car, sea, plane, motion, life sick lol whatever you can get sick from but a good gust of wind always helps.
Never been Ill from FOP. Queasy, but not awful, making sure you don't have an empty or full stomach before you ride helps me.

Excellent; thank you! I start taking non-drowsy dramamine the day before we leave for Disney (whether flying or driving) and then every morning we are on vacation in order to avoid as much motion sickness as possible. As a last resort, if I do feel a little off, I sip a coke for a few minutes afterward and the carbonation settles my stomach quickly.

Excellent; thank you! I start taking non-drowsy dramamine the day before we leave for Disney (whether flying or driving) and then every morning we are on vacation in order to avoid as much motion sickness as possible. As a last resort, if I do feel a little off, I sip a coke for a few minutes afterward and the carbonation settles my stomach quickly.
I'm the same with sparkling water! Hope it all goes well for you 😊😊

I felt nauseous after FOP. I couldnt wait for it to end. Motion simulator rides do make me nauseous. FOP, Star Tours, and EE are all pretty bad for me.

I definitely wont ride FOP again.

My advice to you is to take some ginger pills (from gravol) at least as a preventative measure.

Yes, I had very bad motion sickness while riding FOP. I had to close my eyes and take deep breaths and pray that I did not hurl about mid-way through. Anytime there is a discrepancy between sensory input to the middle ear and visual input, the potential for motion sickness is there for suspectible individuals. In a motion type simulator, your eyes are seeing movement, but since you are not actually moving, your inner ear is not sensing the movement, hence the discrepancy. During a ride like Space Mountain (coaster in the dark), your eyes are not seeing the movement, but your inner ear is feeling the movement, hence the opposite type of discrepancy. The only way to know for sure if to try it. Sometimes meclizine (Bonine/Dramamine), dimenhydrinate (Gravol), and scopolamine (Transform-scop) can alleviate the nausea, but some people cannot tolerate the drowsiness, and the medications only work for some people. If you try it and feel sick, I would recommend closing your eyes. This helped me make it through.
Thanks for the suggestions! My go to for rides that I find myself feeling queasy on is always to close my eyes. I just hope I don’t have to on FOP as I hear it’s an amazing experience!

As someone who suffers from motion sickness very easily, I was wondering what others have experienced with riding Flight of Passage? Does it make you feel sick?

I just closed my eyes when it started to bother me, its a long ride, but felt fine afterwards.

I don’t why, I never get motion sick, except on FOP and Star Tours only, tried all the drugs, and closing my eyes, so I guess those 2 rides are off my list.

Thanks for the suggestions! My go to for rides that I find myself feeling queasy on is always to close my eyes. I just hope I don’t have to on FOP as I hear it’s an amazing experience!

I really hope you don’t have motion sickness either. It is truly an amazing ride, and I am glad I at least tried it. Others have probably already suggested it, but if you have rides that you really want to experience but may give you motion sickness, save them for the end of the day. That way you can sleep off the effects and not have one or two rides ruin the rest of your day. Fingers crossed for you. Oh, and if you do go the Bonine, Gravol, or Dramamine route, take the medication about 1.5 to 2 hours before the ride in question. Check the ingredients and look for meclizine or dimenhydrinate. Ginger is marketed at the “non drowsy” version, but doesn’t fare well in clinical studies. It may work for some people, but is not one of the “big guns”. Pharmacist here.

I've had success closing my eyes when things get a bit intense on FOP. I close them for the first 10 seconds of soarin'. I used to stay in hypersleep on MS but it's been years since I bothered with that one. I can't do StarTours or Universal's Forbidden Journey - waaaay forbidden for me. YMMV.
Regardless, I take ginger supplements while at WDW or UOR. I also avoid intense rides if something has my digestion a bit off, if I've just eaten or if I'm hungry, as those situations make any problem significantly worse.
I find the smoothness and more advanced technology of FOP to help greatly to avoid motion sickness, as does the wind in your face. For me, noticing the banshee "breathing" helps to keep some of my sensory input occupied on something other than visual motion. And FOP is so fantastic visually that it's worth it - I just close eyes for a few seconds here and there and joyfully wallow in the wind and banshee sensations before going back to the visuals. I find the banshee motion a good indicator of whether this is a swooping dive or rough swizzle for which I might want to sightlessly wallow. I hope you enjoy it.

I couldn't wait to get off thought I was gonna pass out.

Edited to add "and throw up". I can ride soarin no problem.

How many levels are there? I feel like I felt more motion sick on one particular level than others.

As someone who suffers from motion sickness very easily, I was wondering what others have experienced with riding Flight of Passage? Does it make you feel sick?

It ruined me...and I always wear a the prescription Transdermal Scopolamine patch on every trip.

I've had success closing my eyes when things get a bit intense on FOP. I close them for the first 10 seconds of soarin'. I used to stay in hypersleep on MS but it's been years since I bothered with that one. I can't do StarTours or Universal's Forbidden Journey - waaaay forbidden for me. YMMV.
Star Tours and Forbidden Journey are HORRIBLE for me! Oh my goodness, its just awful. Sometimes I forget to take my ginger pills and instantly regret it. I wish these rides didnt make me nauseous. :( Theyre so fun.

I don’t why, I never get motion sick, except on FOP and Star Tours only, tried all the drugs, and closing my eyes, so I guess those 2 rides are off my list.
See this is one thing i dont understand. There are some ppl who get motion sickness from a lot of rides, then they'll say they were totally fine with FOP and Star Tours. Then there are ppl such as yourself who only get sick on FOP and star tours. I dont understand how someone can NOT get sick on FOP for example. There are a couple of brutal drops (not physical ones thou). There are twists and turns. How does that not make you queasy??? Star Tours too. I just dont get it. :confused3

BTW Closing my eyes during a ride to avoid motion sickness doesnt really help with me. But i close them anyway. lol.

I get motion sick on some simulator rides, anything that spins, and anything that goes backwards. FoP doesn't bother me at all. I think it's the way the video is synced up with the link chair movement that makes me feel like I'm really there. Plus, as others have stated, the air blowing in my face really helps. I do take ginger pills beforehand.

See this is one thing i dont understand. There are some ppl who get motion sickness from a lot of rides, then they'll say they were totally fine with FOP and Star Tours. Then there are ppl such as yourself who only get sick on FOP and star tours. I dont understand how someone can NOT get sick on FOP for example. There are a couple of brutal drops (not physical ones thou). There are twists and turns. How does that not make you queasy??? Star Tours too. I just dont get it. :confused3

BTW Closing my eyes during a ride to avoid motion sickness doesnt really help with me. But i close them anyway. lol.

The inner ear/vestibular area is very complex and people have certain triggers. I read these threads and I think the opposite: now that I *don't* get sick on FoP, I don't see how anyone does. I get motion sickness on just about everything! Last night, I was watching a YouTube video of a dog running around and I got very queasy. Handheld video action is awful for me. Star Tours is awful. Remember the old Body Wars? :crazy2: I didn't ride Soarin' for years out of fear. I got super mad at myself and forced FoP last year. Glad I did. It opened up Soarin' for me also. But anything else. Horrible. I don't know what the triggers are for me.

The inner ear/vestibular area is very complex and people have certain triggers. I read these threads and I think the opposite: now that I *don't* get sick on FoP, I don't see how anyone does. I get motion sickness on just about everything! Last night, I was watching a YouTube video of a dog running around and I got very queasy. Handheld video action is awful for me. Star Tours is awful. Remember the old Body Wars? :crazy2: I didn't ride Soarin' for years out of fear. I got super mad at myself and forced FoP last year. Glad I did. It opened up Soarin' for me also. But anything else. Horrible. I don't know what the triggers are for me.
Im ok with Soarin'. I may get a tiny bit queasy, but not much. It goes away quick. Hand held cameras are BRUTAL for me too! I remember watching 9/11 videos and had to stop because i got so sick. Once i felt better, i went back to watching them.

Ha! When I close my eyes on a ride it's not to alleviate the motion sickness; it's fervent prayer that I will not toss my cookies all over the nice people around me!
Haha! Thats why i close my eyes too! :lmao: Im saying a silent prayer.

I think it depends on the circumstances that give you motion sickness. I personally get motion sick on rides like the tea cups, but had no motion sickness at all on FOP.

I suffer motion sickness very easily as well. I can't even swing on a swingset without nausea, but what makes people nauseous sometimes varies so I'll share my experiences.

First spinning is completely out for me so I can't handle the tea cups for example. But milder coasters like 7DMT and BTMRR I can manage with or without taking something like Bonine, BUT they still make me mildly nauseous but it doesn't last. Same for Soarin' sometimes and Test Track, etc. But R&RC for example even with Bonine was horrendous. And I won't attempt Star Tours after knowing it works very much like Body Wars. Worst ride ever for me.

All that said, I take a Bonine every day at the parks and it cuts down, but does not eliminate my motion sickness. I have been on Flights of Passage about 6 or 7 times now and with medication still experience a little nausea, but I can share what helps me. First time I had to close my eyes at some points and once closing I was fine. The seats don't move that much it's mostly the screen so that helps. And nothing is jerky. There is also a fan blowing so you have a breeze which I always find helps me.

But if you do find you still have some nausea, like I do, try to focus your eyes towards the top of the screen on something that isn't moving a lot. NOT on the Navi guide flying in front of you. The first couple times I felt nauseous enough I was a little off, but it went away relatively quickly once the ride was over (as in I was okay to walk out just felt slightly funky for maybe 10 minutes). Since then, I found that if I'm not staring straight at where we are going but rather looking higher on the screen at a moon, rock, tree, etc. it alleviated a lot of the nausea that was caused by things coming at me so quickly when looking straight. Doing this I'm able to keep my eyes open the whole time and only get a twinge of nausea (but still while using Bonine so I'm not sure how well it works if you take nothing).

It's fun enough that it's well worth a little discomfort, while other rides are so bad, even with meds, that I'd never give them a second chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter