Motorized scooters/wheelchairs

everylastbreath

DIS Veteran
We are planning on taking my 80 year old mom w/us this year and we know from past experience that she needed a wheelchair so we are expecting that, but she is not aware of the fact that this time she is going to use one of the motorized ones (anyone who has pushed a wheelchair understands why we are insisting on this) but I know she will be very resistant, my husband plans on walking beside her if necessary and steering/assisting)- has anyone every either used one or had a loved one who was also resistant and ended up using one- How did it work out? are they easy to control, any problems? Mom is in great health other than the fact she cannot walk long distances w/out assistance, so this will be our only issue. Please tell me how it worked for you.

I would say that if someone has to "assist" her then it's a bad idea. They don't stop on a dime and if the park is very crowded someone can get hurt. I suggest that you get her to use one at home to get used to it. You can rent from somewhere and let her use it for a week or so and see how it goes.

they are not the easiest thing to use, so I would take her to some local places like Wal-Mart or Target and let her try them out.

People are really bad about cutting you off and stopping right in front of you so you really have to be aware of your surroundings when you are using them. I actually had a young girl jump over the top of the front of me on my last trip. She thought it was funny and laughed, I was so shaken up I had to park and stop shaking.

my grandmother used one at silver dollar city in missouri this past summer. it is very hilly there and she didnt have any problems navigating one? but, i agree, it would be too hard to use if she actually needs assistance. i bet she'd do ok if she drove it around for a minute or two. :goodvibes

I agree with having her try one out for a while first.

Disney is unique in that a lot of the parents, and children don't pay attention to where they are going and run in front of the ECV.

I have read a lot on these boards about crazy ECV drivers and on our past trip only met one.

I did however almost cream at least 5 people a day, and I am an experienced excellent driver who doesn't take my eyes off the road ahead of me.

You're reflexes have to be really sharp because of the large number of people and kids around you.

It is quite stressful driving one actually at WDW, a couple of times I even had to put my arm out and stop kids from running into me!

Anyway, because of the sheer amount of people in the parks it wouldn't be good to have her go inexperienced.

They handle well, have simple controls and adjustable speed, but you really have to be on it to not run people over.​

Thanks for the suggestion on taking her to Walmart or Target and trying one, I'm sure if she got over the fear of one, she would be fine, but she is very intimadated by it. I don't see any other option, pushing a wheel is very heavy and in the heat in August, don't think it is going to work well, she is going to have to get use to the idea. She is very capable of doing it, she is very independent and drives herself every where, still very active, just has Asthma and walking in the heat wouldn't be ideal for her. We are also traveling with a 2 year old, so we will not be out in the heat of the day and will be moving very slow to being with so, we will find a way to make it work.

Thanks for the suggestion on taking her to Walmart or Target and trying one, I'm sure if she got over the fear of one, she would be fine, but she is very intimadated by it. I don't see any other option, pushing a wheel is very heavy and in the heat in August, don't think it is going to work well, she is going to have to get use to the idea. She is very capable of doing it, she is very independent and drives herself every where, still very active, just has Asthma and walking in the heat wouldn't be ideal for her. We are also traveling with a 2 year old, so we will not be out in the heat of the day and will be moving very slow to being with so, we will find a way to make it work.

It sounds like she should have no problems:)
They are incredibly simple to operate. If she just used one even a couple of times at a local store she would get the hang of it right away:)
We pushed my mom once, never again. It's too hard in the heat or not!
ECV's are great for folks who wouldn't otherwise be able to enjoy the parks!

Hi
My DH and I were in DW in December and we rented a ECV for my DH from Buena Vista Scooters. My DH was having knee surgery after our trip and we didn't want to cancel it. Anyway, Buena Vista was great. They deliver the ECV to the resort and then they pick it up when you're done with it. It was $30.00 a day. They're very easy to drive. I don't think your mother would have any problem with it. I tried driving it and actually it was a lot of fun. They're also very clean and comfortable, and there is a basket on the front. You could go their website and check them out. Have fun in DW.:)

Thses are some very good suggestions. I have a personal motorized scooter I take with me and Disney is very accommidating to the disabled. But, as one poster said, the on-site scooters they have seem to be hard to handle with some. But in most cases, the driver fails to adjust the speed knob to where it will not run away with them. If she keeps it on a slower setting, I think whe'll be fine. Trying one out first would be a good idea. And do watch out. I'm VERY careful when I drive mine, but people will walk if front of me, giving ME the dirty look. She should do well, though. Good luck and have fun!!!

Ditto about the taking a test drive @ Wal-Mart or Target. My MIL uses one b/c of her knees and she has gotten pretty good at them. Although, there are times when she forgets to look behind her before she backs up but then again she has this problem in the car as well!

We pushed my mom once, never again. It's too hard in the heat or not!
ECV's are great for folks who wouldn't otherwise be able to enjoy the parks!

OMG- Anyone who has done this once, swears never again. That's why we are determined to get her to use ECV, just too hard to push wheelchair around.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Disnut- Do you have the link for website for Buena Vista Scooters? Any recommended model? (I am unfamilar with any of them, need to get simplest one)

My mother (who's disabled)and my 79yo Aunt used them last year and enjoyed themselves. They were hesitant about using them at first, but them are simple to use and made the time enjoyable for all of us. My Aunt actually bought an ECV after using one on our trip. They are worth it!! I already have one reserved for our upcoming trip in April..

Picture020.jpg

We rented ours from "Walker Mobility" at http://www.walkermobility.com/products.php

If you come to the disABILITIES Board and look on the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the board, you will find everything you are looking for. There is information about renting from the parks and links to the companies that DIS posters have recommended over the years.
If you go to the rental company websites, you will be able to see pictures of the models they rent. As to which type to rent, that is partly based on the weight of the person renting it. When you go to the websites, you will see the heavy duty ones for people who are heavier and the smaller, more light duty ones for people who are smaller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts