mousekeeping opt out

I understand I can call and get new towels and maybe more pillows. Do they take the dirty towels at that time? What about emptying the waste basket?

Housekeeping is a non-tipped position. No need to get extra compensation for not getting a tip because the guest has declined housekeeping services. Their wages may be higher than the CM working in the theme park.
What do you mean that housekeeping is a non-tipped position? I have always tipped housekeeping and some hotel/motels leave envelopes in the room for it.

What do you mean that housekeeping is a non-tipped position? I have always tipped housekeeping and some hotel/motels leave envelopes in the room for it.

"Non-tipped" means that the employee's wages are not expected to be partially made up by tips. In the US, the Dept of Labor recognizes certain categories of job as "tipped positions." Employers are exempt from having to pay the full minimum wage for these employees, as it is expected that they will receive tips.

At WDW, tipped positions are restaurant servers and those who work in bell services and valet parking. Guests may tip housekeepers if they choose, but it's optional.

"Non-tipped" means that the employee's wages are not expected to be partially made up by tips. In the US, the Dept of Labor recognizes certain categories of job as "tipped positions." Employers are exempt from having to pay the full minimum wage for these employees, as it is expected that they will receive tips.

At WDW, tipped positions are restaurant servers and those who work in bell services and valet parking. Guests may tip housekeepers if they choose, but it's optional.
Oh that makes much more sense!

Ref my earlier post:
Wish it applied to deluxe. Guess they have their reasons. Seems like whatever 'savings' they are encouraging, either ecologically, or more practically (in terms of Disney saving money for offering this) would apply to all resorts.
Hope you are all having a magical day!:goodvibes

There may be more to it than we think-- give someone $50 gift card and they'll spend $80 or more. I suspect these offers don't come without some extensive research that illustrates more $$$ to the bottom line:)
Exactly! Great point!
So given all their motivation $-wise, or saving water, or...? still my confusion is why not include deluxe resorts? We're staying at the Beach Club in a couple months and we'd do it, and they'd probably come out ahead one way or another, so why not multiply that logic by the thousand's of people that stay at deluxe daily?

Anyway, hope you all are having a Magical Day!

So given all their motivation $-wise, or saving water, or...? still my confusion is why not include deluxe resorts? We're staying at the Beach Club in a couple months and we'd do it, and they'd probably come out ahead one way or another, so why not multiply that logic by the thousand's of people that stay at deluxe daily?
I can only surmise that they have research that shows that most people paying the big bucks to stay deluxe aren't moved by the prospect of saving $10 a day? They also can likely show what the average deluxe guest spends and that it isn't necessary to "prime the pump" with a gift card to get those folks to open their wallets. I have nothing to back this up, it's just a hunch:)

I can only surmise that they have research that shows that most people paying the big bucks to stay deluxe aren't moved by the prospect of saving $10 a day? They also can likely show what the average deluxe guest spends and that it isn't necessary to "prime the pump" with a gift card to get those folks to open their wallets. I have nothing to back this up, it's just a hunch:)
I wonder also if Disney just wants the rooms to be nice. It doesn't surprise me at all that they have this policy at the deluxe resorts. They want you to feel pampered. I suspect most deluxe resort residents feel the same way and wouldn't use the option anyway.

I've seen it from time to time when I travel elsewhere, but not in the high-end resorts. I'd be very surprised if they offered this at, say, a Fairmont. It's just not in keeping with the general ambiance.

Last edited:
Can I get back stay gift cards, lol
Wish I had known about this yrs ago as we never use mouse keeping.
First time in a family suite though and so our plans might be a little different with slightly more in room stuff. Not sure I want to pass up the cleanings if we have more trash and stuff. (We always need more towels)

Yup. It's available at all Values and Moderates.

Yup. $10 per night minus one night. So for a 7 night stay you'll get a gift card for $60.
Why is it minus one night? They have to give you a cleaned room regardless and they will have to clean it after you are gone. No?

I wonder also if Disney just wants the rooms to be nice. It doesn't surprise me at all that they have this policy at the deluxe resorts. They want you to feel pampered. I suspect most deluxe resort residents feel the same way and wouldn't use the option anyway. I've seen it from time to time when I travel elsewhere, but not in the high-end resorts...It's just not in keeping with the general ambiance.
Yes, a lot of deluxe resort guests wouldn't take kindly to the sight of bagged trash and towels being left in the hallways, or the sight of other guests wandering the halls with them, trying to find a place to dispose of them. A room that is regularly cleaned is also going to be nicer than one that is not regularly cleaned. The attention to the details of the room and resort are one of the attractions of staying deluxe.

I can only surmise that they have research that shows that most people paying the big bucks to stay deluxe aren't moved by the prospect of saving $10 a day?
Very true. Some deluxe rooms cost over $1,000 per night. Even mid-range deluxes cost from $400 - 700 per night. The typical guest who shells out that money is not overly concerned about saving $10 per night.

Last edited:
We opted out of Mousekeeping last week. It was a short trip, just DH and I. We reused our towels, made our own bed and really only had paper trash so didn't worry about it. The one morning I had a yogurt parfait in the room I just brought that trash to the barrel near the elevator. It worked nicely for us. And when I used my $40 gift card in my email, I spent about $90 on that particular purchase! So the $40 off was helpful for us!

Does the gift card get loaded to your magic band? Scan your band to use the card. Or do you need to go front desk and get them to them to take purchases off your hotel portfolio to your gift card.

When it was just my husband and I at Pop last month, we opted out of housekeeping and it was fine - nice to have an extra $50 giftcard to spend on food, too. But I'm going back in September with three pals, and we'll probably keep housekeeping, since I can't imagine being there for a week with four people's stuff/dirty towels/etc in a room and not having things cleaned up.

I wonder also if Disney just wants the rooms to be nice. It doesn't surprise me at all that they have this policy at the deluxe resorts. They want you to feel pampered. I suspect most deluxe resort residents feel the same way and wouldn't use the option anyway.
Possibly, too, each Deluxe resort is generally smaller and gets by with fewer Mousekeepers anyway.
Can I get back stay gift cards, lol
Wish I had known about this yrs ago as we never use mouse keeping
This program is only a couple of years old. Probably not available to you, depending how you define "years ago." : )
Also curious about where to put the trash?
Bring it to the trash barrel near the core of ypur building.
Why is it minus one night? They have to give you a cleaned room regardless and they will have to clean it after you are gone. No?
They're not cleaning it for you that night, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter