Move to refillable toiletries

The assumption is that the stateroom hosts use cleaners to clean the bathroom, but they won't clean out the dispenser. You never know who would stick their dirty fingers in there...:scared:

I have heard horror stories about what people put inside multi-use containers, like soap dispensers, so the whole idea rather creeps me out...... I just don't want to have to pack all my own stuff for a nice vacation. :sad2: :sad1:

I assume they'll be locked like the photos I've seen from the resorts.

View attachment 339817
If the dispensers are like these, I would assume they take the whole bottle and dispenser out and replace it with a clean refilled one. I doubt they would put a dispenser back that was all gummed up. Several in my family don't really use the products except the bar soap anyway since we are allergic to it. My husband uses it but he doesn't really care where it comes from :blush:

Entire countries use this practice. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I've stayed in hotels in this country that used them. Aloft Hotels have dispensers in their bathrooms. But they aren't locked up, but then Aloft is a lower end, if kind of trendy, hotel chain IMO. I stay in one regularly when I fly back to my home state.

I have heard horror stories about what people put inside multi-use containers, like soap dispensers, so the whole idea rather creeps me out...... I just don't want to have to pack all my own stuff for a nice vacation. :sad2: :sad1:
Ok I get where your apprehension comes from now.

Agreed that it would be nice not to pack shampoos and such. But I suppose I never trust any hotel/cruise ship to put out products that I’ll enjoy, even if I’ve been there before.

Ok I get where your apprehension comes from now.

Agreed that it would be nice not to pack shampoos and such. But I suppose I never trust any hotel/cruise ship to put out products that I’ll enjoy, even if I’ve been there before.

:cutie: Thanks! Sounds stupid, but I know things like that happen occasionally, so it makes me feel better to see the lock mechanisms for dispensers. ::yes::

I assume they'll be locked like the photos I've seen from the resorts.

View attachment 339817

I haven't seen the one at the resorts. During our stay this past March, we still had the little bottles...but perhaps they haven't change the DVC villas yet.

As long as no one can get into it, I suppose it's better. But still don't like using the same spout as someone else used...

I know in public bathrooms, I'm using the spout that everyone else has used, but I don't want to wash my whole body with a shared spout.

At times like this, I think of an old story about Disneyland. It was something like - After Disneyland opened, someone realized they were losing money on the programs / guidebooks. I think it cost them $.25 to make the guidebook that they sold for $.10. Someone pointed this out to Walt Disney and suggested they raise the price. Walt said no, because those guidebooks were going to be great advertising for the park. People would see them on their neighbors' coffee tables and want to visit.

I don't keep a brochure at the sink where I brush my teeth and shave, but I do have several little bottles with Disney logos on them. I see them every day. We have a small sink area adjacent to the bathroom where my wife gets ready. On the counter is a little wicker basket with a lid we received from the Grand Floridian when we visited after they first opened.

Sometimes, the little trinkets and things serve more than the purpose for which they were intended and provide additional benefits. It's hard to put a value on memories.

I am a little skeeved out about sharing a refillable dispenser with all the folks who have used the shower before me. Yuck

But you're okay with sharing the actual shower with all the folks before you? :confused3

I kind of think of it as using soap in a public bathroom…I can touch the dispenser because I am washing my hands with what comes out of it.

I am one of the biggest germaphobes EVER, and this doesn't really bother me. Though, I will still likely wipe them down with my Clorox wipes like I do everything else in a hotel/state room as soon as I enter.

Studies have been done that show there is a haven of bacteria found in refillable soap containers. Google it. One microbiologist have said it is cleaner to wash your hands in a toilet bowl than to use a refillable soap container. Studies have found there is harmful bacteria including fecal matter in refillables. Has Disney looked at the science behind this? I know they are trying to reduce their carbon footprint, but at who's expense. I would like to know how they will prevent the containers from being contaminated? When you read the findings you will never use refillable containers away from home again.

It’s a little misleading as the studies are done based on public washrooms and refillable dispensers. So it is a slightly different situation here since the change is in a cabin, moreso in a DCL cabin where the toilet and shower are in separate areas.

That’s not to say that I’m dismissing the concern. If DCL moves to a refillable dispenser like you see in public washrooms, they are still susceptible to contamination. Hopefully they are moving to large pump bottles as in the previous image and replacing wholesale once they are used up.

But you're okay with sharing the actual shower with all the folks before you? :confused3

I kind of think of it as using soap in a public bathroom…I can touch the dispenser because I am washing my hands with what comes out of it.

I am one of the biggest germaphobes EVER, and this doesn't really bother me. Though, I will still likely wipe them down with my Clorox wipes like I do everything else in a hotel/state room as soon as I enter.
People feel how they feel. It’s not always rational.

However, I must point out that standing in a shower that has been used by others (and hopefully cleaned & if it doesn’t even appear clean, I’m not even in it) is very different than pumping soap out of a container shared with strangers then smearing it over my body. But maybe that’s just me.

People feel how they feel. It’s not always rational.

However, I must point out that standing in a shower that has been used by others (and hopefully cleaned & if it doesn’t even appear clean, I’m not even in it) is very different than pumping soap out of a container shared with strangers then smearing it over my body. But maybe that’s just me.
Furthermore, my thought has always been if the soap is supposed to get rid of dirt and germs, wouldn't washing with it get rid of the contaminants and bacteria, too?

As for fecal matter in a shower, well, people wash those parts and may touch that area of their body, then the pump to get more soap, but again, isn't the soap supposed to wash that off your hands?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter