Move to refillable toiletries

The hotel I was at this weekend has locking dispensers. You're not opening it unless you're housekeeping. But regardless, how many people try to stick their hands into soap dispensers in public restrooms? Same idea.

Not sure about public restrooms since people generally just go in and out without lingering. But having it inside showers provide easier access and time...don't get me wrong...I don't know what kind of person would do such a thing, but there's been lots of things that people do that shock me...so I won't rule that out.

I really don't have an issue with the new toiletries in the resorts but I do see more of what people feel when it comes to cruises. I'm not sure why either. I'm not opposed to them in cruises but I do get more of how people feel about them.

I was MIA for a couple of months (new house, husband's broken leg and Europe trip), I come back to the DIS and this is what I find... no more toiletries in the bathrooms? :sad::sad::sad:
I understand the need for this from an environmental standpoint, but seeing those little tubes of goodies in the bathrooms on embarkation day is super awesome. I wonder if they can make the packaging more environmentally friendly instead?

I would love to see environmentally friendly packaging, but the implementation would likely cost more. It's more likely they would choose an option that would save money.

However, it is feasible to assume that companies do pay more for having a recycling program (bins, collection) and Disney has had this program for awhile. So hopefully, they will listen and appreciate that guests do not like the communal dispensers and find a better way to package the individual bottles.

Actually, I don't see why they need to put dispensers in...they could make the bottles larger and provide replacements every few days. They could market it as environmentally responsible and convenient so housekeeping or stateroom hosts don't need to replace them all the time. I would think it takes less time to replace a free standing bottle than one that needs to be removed from the wall.

I get both sides of the argument; however, there is something slightly off-putting about refillable, shared dispensers. Yes, I'm surrounded by a shared space but as someone else said, I'm not smearing it all over my body and hair (that made be chuckle).

It reminds me of lockers rooms - high school, college, gyms - the perception is that it's cheap, industrial . . .and gross.

I think the first problem is that people don't just use a couple of the bottles a cruise... they stash and horde them. Providing larger bottles would not stop this, in fact, would likely encourage people to take more, because now they'd be sizes that would last at home, too.

I have no problem with the large bottles secured to the wall, as in the photo a PP showed. If it's that and the bottles are cleaned each cruise (no stray hairs between them from the previous occupants), then it's fine. I think the refillable boxes on the wall look cheezy and sleazy, though. I don't want to see that.

As for having bottles for souvenirs, well, the shops do sell the larger bottles, so, you know, instead of taking them from the carts, buy them at the store on the ship.

Agree FigmentSpark. I'm probably going to be unpopular for this, but I think the stashing and hording has lead to this more than anything. I can't tell you how many cruise videos we've watched on youtube where one of the "top tips" is to horde those things.

I am happy they are moving to dispensers as long as they don't get the cheap ones that make the room look downgraded because of the plastic waste it will reduce. Also hoping its still the H2O plus product in those dispensers as i love that they have had that in the past via the small bottles.

I do like using the bottles and usually found that one bottle would last most of my cruise, it used to kind of annoy me when they replaced mine with new ones when my old one was still nearly full and easily viewable in the shower.

I don't care, ultimately. I bring my own soap and shampoo and I tend to use the locker room showers anyway since they're larger.

The hotel I was at this weekend has locking dispensers. You're not opening it unless you're housekeeping. But regardless, how many people try to stick their hands into soap dispensers in public restrooms? Same idea.

Though I wouldn't want strangers hands in my soap, it ain't their hands I'm most concerned about. :scared1:

I do like using the bottles and usually found that one bottle would last most of my cruise, it used to kind of annoy me when they replaced mine with new ones when my old one was still nearly full and easily viewable in the shower.

I've also had both housekeeping at Disney and DCL stateroom attendants replace bottles of toiletries when I still had a good amount in the remaining bottle(s). I appreciate the generosity, but it wasn't always needed.

I've also had both housekeeping at Disney and DCL stateroom attendants replace bottles of toiletries when I still had a good amount in the remaining bottle(s). I appreciate the generosity, but it wasn't always needed.

I've had a different experience. If they see that my bottles were not completely empty, they would leave it and just provide a new set. I don't think they've ever taken it even if it was half full.

I've had a different experience. If they see that my bottles were not completely empty, they would leave it and just provide a new set. I don't think they've ever taken it even if it was half full.

Thanks for pointing that out, dvcdisney. I did not mean to state they REMOVED my partially used bottles, but that they would give me another "in it's place" so to speak. I did not communicate well. :rolleyes: :o Thanks for that!

I've been monitoring this thread since it started, and I just keep coming back to the personal view that creating all those individual size bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soap is massively wasteful, this is for 4 ships now, what will it be like if they continue doing it for 7 ships? The waste from packaging is one of the biggest factors for landfills reaching maximum capacity so quickly. Reducing this waste might over all save DCL money, but it WILL reduce waste not from trash from partially empty containers being thrown away but also loss from people hoarding them when they are on board. I applaud this move by Disney just like the removal of plastic straws and lids from drinks. Stop and think maybe just maybe one of the reasons DCL's prices are so high might be because they're covering costs from loss and waste. On our 2017 WBPC trip a passenger was stopped in San Diego by customs because he literally had an ENTIRE suitcase full of the toiletries he had been hoarding the entire cruise plus asking the crew for extras virtually every single day. Souvenirs are one thing but this was tantamount to stealing from DCL. I think this might curb such activity. I think we get more than enough to take home from our cruises with out having to engage in theft by these means.

I've been monitoring this thread since it started, and I just keep coming back to the personal view that creating all those individual size bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soap is massively wasteful, this is for 4 ships now, what will it be like if they continue doing it for 7 ships? The waste from packaging is one of the biggest factors for landfills reaching maximum capacity so quickly. Reducing this waste might over all save DCL money, but it WILL reduce waste not from trash from partially empty containers being thrown away but also loss from people hoarding them when they are on board. I applaud this move by Disney just like the removal of plastic straws and lids from drinks. Stop and think maybe just maybe one of the reasons DCL's prices are so high might be because they're covering costs from loss and waste. On our 2017 WBPC trip a passenger was stopped in San Diego by customs because he literally had an ENTIRE suitcase full of the toiletries he had been hoarding the entire cruise plus asking the crew for extras virtually every single day. Souvenirs are one thing but this was tantamount to stealing from DCL. I think this might curb such activity. I think we get more than enough to take home from our cruises with out having to engage in theft by these means.

That's completely insane! o_O I was under the impression that the people who do take some, generally take one set (meaning one shampoo, conditioner, lotion)...or even a couple of each. When someone fills a whole suitcase, that's crazy...this would be theft. They would have needed to steal it from the stateroom host's cart, not just one or two...I don't think the host would provide them that much.

With my daughter having such long hair, we sometimes ask for a second bottle every other day...and I felt bad for it. I can't even imagine this.

If Disney is worried about stealing, there are other ways to deal with it, like you have to sign for your shampoo allotment for the cruise, just as you have to sign for your castaway gift. Disney did not always ask customers to sign for castaway gifts, so maybe Disney should have just disposed of those as well? Also, plastics are easily recycled. No landfill issues.

Stop and think maybe just maybe one of the reasons DCL's prices are so high might be because they're covering costs from loss and waste.

I don't even begin to think this is why prices are so high, even if I stop to do so. Disney charges so much because they *can* charge so much. Witness the exponential growth in prices on Concierge accommodations in the past 5 years, yet they still sell out. They're raising prices to raise their margins. Period. It's the same reason park prices have gotten ludicrous. People will pay it, so why not charge it?

I don't even begin to think this is why prices are so high, even if I stop to do so. Disney charges so much because they *can* charge so much. Witness the exponential growth in prices on Concierge accommodations in the past 5 years, yet they still sell out. They're raising prices to raise their margins. Period. It's the same reason park prices have gotten ludicrous. People will pay it, so why not charge it?
Economics 101. Supply and demand.

If Disney is worried about stealing, there are other ways to deal with it, like you have to sign for your shampoo allotment for the cruise, just as you have to sign for your castaway gift. Disney did not always ask customers to sign for castaway gifts, so maybe Disney should have just disposed of those as well? Also, plastics are easily recycled. No landfill issues.

I like the idea of providing a certain allotment based on the number of guests in the stateroom. But there will likely be issues trying to implement this. It can be viewed as cheapening the deluxe experience...but then again, I feel adding dispenser attached to the shower wall does a good job of that and they don't seem to have any issues putting this in the resorts.

I would be fine if they provided a reasonable set amount in large bottles for each stateroom (again depending on the number of guests) and make it clear that if they want more they can buy it at the store. If they want to hoard it or steal it, then that's fine, but that's all they get...they either use it or take it. This way, they can use large bottles to conserve plastics and prevent further hoarding.

We used to have issues with Raccoons when we lived in the East Coast...but the green bins there were larger than those rolling garbage cans. Composting is a major deal there and they started many years before most provinces.

Anyway, we tried several things...the only thing that worked for us was putting a brick on top of it...didn't think it would work, but it did...

The small ones we have now have latches like the one Figment Spark showed...but it's a metal latch...it's difficult to unhinged...our issues were flies and after spraying the bin with peppermint, it's cut down a bit...

Our Danforth raccoons laugh in the face of bricks on bins! :)

The newer green bins with the rotating lock seem to work. We’ve had our upgraded bin for almost 6 months and not once have the raccoons broken into it.

That said, my partner was telling me just yesterday that he has seen video of a raccoon in Oakville turning the lock and getting in. So I figure we’re maybe one raccoon generation away from these new bins being raccoon buffet again.

City compost was new for us when we moved to Canada from the US but we love it. We’ve also completely adjusted to having garbage pickup only twice a month. Even with only two pick ups we don’t fill the garbage bin - but we do fill the recycle bin!

[edited to correct iphone’s seriously wacky autocorrect algorithm...]

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts