Move to refillable toiletries

Our Danforth raccoons laugh in be face of bricks on bins! :)

The beer green bins with the rotating lock seem to work. We’ve had our upgrade robin for almost 6 months and not once have the raccoons broken into it.

That said, my partner was telling me just yesterday that he has seen video of a raccoon in Oakville turning the lock and getting in. So I figure we’re maybe one raccoon generation away from these new bins being raccoon buffet again.

City compost was new for us when we moved to Canada from the US but we love it. We’ce also completely adjusted to having garbage pickup only twice a month. Even with only two pick ups we don’t fill be garbage bin - but we do fill the recycle bin!

I can visualize the raccoons turning the lock...:rotfl2:

Honestly, when we used to live in the East Coast, my husband would usually find one or two racoons inside our green bin (our bins there were very large - about 3 times the size of what we have now) until he started using a brick...I will admit, they can manipulate latches... but they were never able to move a very heavy brick...

I agree about the compost and recycling...our bins are always full. I do wish we had larger green bins. In our area, paper and plastics don't need to be separated but we do since it's easier to fit everything in. With garbage pick up every 2 wks, we usually only have one bag of garbage (our limit is 3). However I do still notice a few neighbours putting out the limit so we're not all getting there yet.

Toronto raccoons were emboldened after seeing themselves on Planet Earth 2.

I have to say...the worst raccoons are living at McMaster University in Hamilton. For 4 yrs and living in residence, it was rather frightening walking at night when there are raccoons hissing at you...gave me nightmares:scared:

The raccoons in Central Park that frequently wander on stage during Shakespeare in the Park productions are so infamous, they have a plush raccoon on an arrow that was "shot" during a scene in the production of Twelfth Night that's going on right now. :)

So now I can bring full sized empty shampoo and conditioner from home to fill up on their products? I don't have to deal with all those stupid little bottles anymore? Bonus!!!

Kidding aside, I think refillable toiletries are cheap and tacky. When I am doing cheap and tacky, whether it is a hotel or resort or cruise, I don't care as long as the dispensers are clean, in good repair and don't impede me comfortably bathing/grooming as I don't use unfamiliar products anyway due to allergies. But when I am paying a premium for an upscale experience, I expect an offering of those tiny bottles for me to try if I wish instead of some graceless dispenser.

If Disney is worried about stealing, there are other ways to deal with it, like you have to sign for your shampoo allotment for the cruise, just as you have to sign for your castaway gift. Disney did not always ask customers to sign for castaway gifts, so maybe Disney should have just disposed of those as well? Also, plastics are easily recycled. No landfill issues.
Plastic is easily recycled in larger cities. There’s still no recycling in large parts of the country. Just like there still isn’t universal internet access, regardless of ability to pay.

I hate to say, but I think I've changed my mind after hearing so much recently about selling our trash to China. Who knew?

Compromise: Refillable containers to use during the cruise and then at the end of the cruse they give one each (one shampoo, one conditioner, etc, not one per person) of the toiletries as a "thank you - here's a remembrance of your cruise" gift.

Our Danforth raccoons laugh in the face of bricks on bins! :)

The newer green bins with the rotating lock seem to work. We’ve had our upgraded bin for almost 6 months and not once have the raccoons broken into it.

That said, my partner was telling me just yesterday that he has seen video of a raccoon in Oakville turning the lock and getting in. So I figure we’re maybe one raccoon generation away from these new bins being raccoon buffet again.

See https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-to-break-into-a-raccoon-proof-green-bin.html which has video of a raccoon defeating the rotating lock.

SW

We don't use the toiletries DCL provides because we are allergic to them, so bring our own regardless. If we could use them, we wouldn't use them from a shared refillable dispenser.

Since we won't be using the stuff, my concern is how much real estate does it take up in the already small showers ? More than once I have accidently whacked the side of the showers as is; would hate for there to be a dispenser in the instead of just a wall.

SW

We don't use the toiletries DCL provides because we are allergic to them, so bring our own regardless. If we could use them, we wouldn't use them from a shared refillable dispenser.

Since we won't be using the stuff, my concern is how much real estate does it take up in the already small showers ? More than once I have accidently whacked the side of the showers as is; would hate for there to be a dispenser in the instead of just a wall.

SW

I usually bring extra, if they do start to use dispensers, I'd have to bring much more and as most of us has said it, it cheapens the experience. I understand about conservation, but I believe they can find a way to conserve and still provide luxury. As I mentioned, increase the size of the bottles and, depending on how many days and how many people, they can provide a set amount. If guests want more, they can purchase more at the store. If someone wants to take those big bottles home, then they can. It's their allotted amount and they can use it there or wait to take it home.

And yes, a lot of guests complain about the shower size. Although, I'm fine with it, I can, definitely, appreciate how upsetting it would be to install something that would cut down on the size further.

As an aside, I found these are one of the few soaps that I don't have a reaction to. I'm not sure if I'm allergic, but if I go and wash my hands in a public washroom, sometimes my skin reacts. But I've never had any issues with the ones they provide at resorts or DCL. So, I do like using their product, especially the lotion, but if it's a dispenser, I'll be disappointed in how they handled it. In my previous email, I had mentioned that on our visit this past March to WDW at BCV and Poly Villas, they were still providing the small bottles. But if they change that, I would need to bring my own and really feel it cheapens the resort experience. I do expect the dispensers in resorts or hotels that are not 5*...I don't and shouldn't expect them in Deluxe hotels and DCL.

I usually bring extra, if they do start to use dispensers, I'd have to bring much more and as most of us has said it, it cheapens the experience. I understand about conservation, but I believe they can find a way to conserve and still provide luxury.

I respect your ideas. It is great how different people see things differently. I totally agree with you that you pay for a luxury experience and you don't want anything to "cheapen" that experience.

As I mentioned, increase the size of the bottles and, depending on how many days and how many people, they can provide a set amount. If guests want more, they can purchase more at the store.

This is where we differ however. To me, dispensers don't cheapen my experience at all. They are clean and neat, and can't fall off the tiny shelves and hit me in the foot. On the other hand, getting a rationed amount of each product and having to pay for more if I want more, feels VERY "cheap" to me. Whereas having a big dispenser that I don't have to scrounge and conserve feels like a real luxury and a treat.

If someone wants to take those big bottles home, then they can. It's their allotted amount and they can use it there or wait to take it home.

I like the idea from a PP that each cabin get a small set of these items to bring home. It is a nice treat and would help DCL with marketing IMO, but it isn't critical to me. What matters most to me is that I have plenty of high quality products in my shower and that I don't have to worry about if I'm going to run out and have to go buy more. That doesn't sound like a vacation.

As for the size of the stalls, I totally agree. Perhaps the dispensers can be mounted just outside the stall, easy to reach, but not in the way.

I respect your ideas. It is great how different people see things differently. I totally agree with you that you pay for a luxury experience and you don't want anything to "cheapen" that experience.

This is where we differ however. To me, dispensers don't cheapen my experience at all. They are clean and neat, and can't fall off the tiny shelves and hit me in the foot. On the other hand, getting a rationed amount of each product and having to pay for more if I want more, feels VERY "cheap" to me. Whereas having a big dispenser that I don't have to scrounge and conserve feels like a real luxury and a treat.

I like the idea from a PP that each cabin get a small set of these items to bring home. It is a nice treat and would help DCL with marketing IMO, but it isn't critical to me. What matters most to me is that I have plenty of high quality products in my shower and that I don't have to worry about if I'm going to run out and have to go buy more. That doesn't sound like a vacation.

As for the size of the stalls, I totally agree. Perhaps the dispensers can be mounted just outside the stall, easy to reach, but not in the way.

I respect all your points as well. I would prefer that they don't change their current system, but there needs to be a way to cut down on the plastics. My suggestion of larger containers will conserve but it may be open to further loss if not somehow limited. I know posters joke about taking the large containers, but I'm sure some will. And that will inevitable cost DCL more. I don't think it's a big issue taking one or two small bottles that are currently being used. I have done it before when we are staying at a hotel before we fly home, because like I mentioned, my skin doesn't have any reaction to the Disney products and I don't want to risk using the hotel's toiletries. However, I think guests take much more than that and that's an issue.

I can understand that we don't agree on setting a limit, but sometimes it's worth keeping the luxury at appropriate amounts vs DCL finding cheaper ways to provide. If the move to dispensers were really based on conservation, and if the dispenser are not fillable, but changeable, then large bottles and these types of dispensers are similar in it's conservation effort. However, if I'm wrong and they are not replacing the bottles, but actually filling the dispensers (meaning the containers are permanent) using larger jugs, then I can see why they would consider this cutting down on plastics. But this concept does not provide luxury. It's what RCL/NCL uses and that's okay for them. I don't feel their marketing deluxe.

Again, I understand all your points and I appreciate that you see my points as well. I agree that everyone has a different view of what is expected.

As for the shower, I feel that if they had to attach it to the wall, I would prefer it in the shower. I feel (at least with our oceanview and verandah rooms we've had), unlike the space in the shower, that the space outside the shower is too small. I'm sure others will disagree...which is fine.

That's always been my take too.

But I've also never taken the little bottles home from any hotel or cruise, so I wouldn't be losing out on anything by no longer getting them. (I did take this really awesome bar of papaya soap from a hotel in Miami this spring though.)

Interesting. I hadn't heard of any US cities doing that. My friend in Tokyo says that's the policy there.

There are a few hotels in the US that are doing these dispensers. I have seen them in NYC and Aspen. I always bring my own stuff because I am too picky with my hair to use other products but I will miss taking home the little bottles. My son uses them all year.

The dispensers that have been in hotels that we have stayed at were in the shower on the wall by the faucets. It would be in front of you, so I don't think that it would get in your way. They would be attached to the tile wall and not removable. I would think that DCL would charge a fine if they were missing after you left, just as is true for other items missing from the stateroom cabin. They do have bottles for sale in their onboard gift shops. There would be individual bottles of lotion, unless they get rid of those, too, as some hotels have already done. There would be just shampoo and conditioner dispensers in the shower area. This seems to be a future trend that I don't think will stop, even with DCL.

My wife will not be happy about this change... but since I get to carry those over weight bags .... go Disney!
I'll gladly buy some for my DW but that stuff breaks my skin out so fast.
I just tried a bar of soap at the PP resort last week. The rash is almost cleared up. I should know better!

Like many of you... I wont be happy about losing shower space. I'm over 6 foot and need all the space I can get.

Sorry if it's already been posted...but has DCL officially announced the change?

For those who just came back from a recent cruise --- did they already implement the dispensers?

My last cruise was in December and the individual bottles were still available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!