Moving a DLR Trip to Walt Disney World- Let’s Talk!

TikiTikiFan

DIS Veteran
Anyone else heading to Disney World instead this year?

Let’s share our tips with each other here!

If you’re interested in the holiday Hollywood & Vine character dining book it right at the 60 mark because it’s been selling out everyday! I’m hoping to snag a reservation but we’ll see...

I’m looking at 11/15-11/21 at Caribbean Beach Hotel but still mulling it over.

Also some things that helped me plan was watching vlogs, instagram, and YouTube videos. Serena Lyn gives out an informational newsletter every Tuesday if you are on her mailing list

DH & I are going on an adults-only trip in January, staying at POP Century 1/23 - 1/28. We went to WDW 2 summers ago (June 2018) for the 1st time as a family (I'd been once when I was a little kid). Stuff I learned on that trip:

1. Getting from 1 place to another takes time at WDW. It might be 10 min as the crow flies, but it really can take over an hour to get somewhere. Plan accordingly.
  2. Don't expect a DL experience at WDW. You'll have a wonderful time, but it's a different flavor of ice cream.
  3. ADRs then were 180 days beforehand. That I didn't like because I don't like having to decide that far in advance where I want to eat. But right now, it's 60 days, which is like DL ADRs, so not a big deal.
  4. The Photopass+ package is way more expensive there. $169 if you pay before you arrive. We're not going to bother with a photo pass. If I'm going to pay $169 for that, I want to not wear a mask in my photos.
  5. The free ice water smells like swamp water. Apparently all Florida water does. Bring one of those Mio things or Crystal Light packets so you can flavor your water to mask the taste and smell.
  6. The humidity will tap away your energy if you aren't vigilant about drinking often enough and finding ways to stay cool.
  7. The best $20 we spent on that trip was the money I spent on one of those overpriced battery-operated fans. I brought a non-Disney one from home, but the Disney one worked way better than the Target one I had.
  8. Just assume that you and everyone you're going with will smell like you've been in a locker room for days. Some of the queues (Buzz Lightyear, for example) smell like an armpit.
  9. We were there in June, so it was really hot and sweaty. We used Body Glide on our feet every morning before putting our shoes on. Do it.
  10. Plan on rain. Bring 1 poncho per person. And preferably an umbrella for someone who wants to use it. Umbrella can double up as a sun shade for when you're standing outside in socially-distanced queues (like MMRR).
  11. We hated most of the QS restaurants' food. NOT the same quality as at DL. Don't expect DL-level QS food. That's the reason why people at WDW go ape over their ADRs.
  12. I hated FP+. Hated "booking" a ride 2 months before we got there. The good part of no FPs right now is you don't have to bother thinking about that. So the old adage of the early bird gets the worm applies just like it does at DL.
  13. I had a hard time finding a MK map. Was directed to a gift shop. Asked at the main gate for a first visit button and they directed me to the gift shop for that, too.
  14. Jungle Cruise seemed slightly longer of a ride. It was great.
  15. Pirates of the Caribbean will feel way shorter because it is shorter. It's still fun though. The queue is awesome.
  16. Space Mtn made me nauseous. Couldn't hear the music very well. No speakers in the ride vehicles. Ride vehicles were like the Matterhorn ones. Was not a pleasant experience.
  17. Country Bear Jamboree should not be missed. As an adult, I now understand why my parents laughed at jokes that I didn't understand. LOL.

My sister and I have reservations to meet our parents for 1/7/21-1/14/21. She was going to run the half marathon that weekend. We decided that as of now, we are comfortable going.

It will not be the trip we envisioned originally, but we are going in thinking it may turn out all the better for that. We are still doing our DVC split stay (unfortunately no dining plan for that first night!), but the new COVID borrowing rules messed with our plans to be able to spend the first night at the Grand Floridian or Riviera. Instead, we are going to hang out at Jambo House the first night and just enjoy what's available there and Kidani.

Hoping that park hopping becomes available by then, and that park hours expand. If not, we will have to exchange our overpriced German beers at EPCOT with some Publix Yuenglings in the villas every night! Also, we were HUGE Illuminations fans, so maybe no fireworks at all will make it easier to stomach no Illuminations?!? I never can tell if I'm in the minority or majority here in saying this, but we hate FastPass+ (hello, DL Community Board...MaxPass for life!) and are perfectly happy if it doesn't return by January.

Our goal for this trip was to enjoy more resort time, and I AM looking forward to exploring Wilderness Lodge again. Maybe even venture to Disney Springs (I haven't been in a couple trips) for some dining depending on our comfort level.

More thoughts & advice:

• Use Body Glide on any other body parts that you think you might get chaffing problems from.
  • The monorail "cars" are the original ones installed in the 70s. Very old school and same style as the older ones that used to be at DL. My DH loved it.
  • Monorail isn't running to Epcot right now.
  • Nor is monorail stopping at Polynesian Resort as of this week or next, I think.
  • Easy way to get a mid-day break away from MK, for example, would be to schedule an ADR at CR. Take monorail to CR. Eat at CR. Take monorail back. Take pics and enjoy the huge Mary Blair tile mosaic while you're there.
  • Kali River Rapids did not get us nearly as wet as we expected. And it was a much shorter ride. We were disappointed. Don't expect a GRR experience.
  • BTMRR felt like a longer ride.
  • Everyone should experience the Figment ride once in their lifetime.
  • I found myself wishing that Epcot had some sort of transportation option to get you from 1 end of the park to the other. There's not much shade in Epcot either.
  • The pizza at Via Napoli was SO good. But on their more limited menu right now, they don't have pepperoni as an option for a topping.
  • The lobby and gift shop at Poly was cool.
  • We stayed at All Star Music. They had Mickey tie-dye t-shirt making a few times. My kids each made a shirt for $20 each. Cheaper than buying a t-shirt in the parks. They loved the experience.
  • It's not applicable right now, but character meet & greets were way different. You really needed a FP if you didn't want to wait in line for an hour to take a photo with somebody. And people would like up way ahead of time. That was frustrating and a pain. I missed the organic & fluid nature of many of the DL meet & greets. However, now there's the various character cavalcades in each park, so I'm looking forward to that instead.

I found myself wishing that Epcot had some sort of transportation option to get you from 1 end of the park to the other. There's not much shade in Epcot either
Epcot is also under a lot of construction right now. We got set back an hour going from The Land over to World Showcase because some of the walkways were blocked by construction. Give yourself a lot of time to move around that park.

I really want to see Wilderness Lodge on our January trip, so I scheduled a breakfast ADR for us at Whispering Canyon Cafe. They have these all-you-can-eat skillets for $22/person. Plus, I want to check out the Wilderness Lodge gift shop. And I want DH to see WL because my secret goal some day is to buy DVC at Copper Creek. But I have to convince DH that WL is somewhere we'd like to stay on a future trip.

We're also going to have dinner one evening in Disney Springs at Homecomin'.

I'm debating canceling our AK day and switching it to HS because I know that DH will want to try for ROTR a second time once he goes on it the 1st time.

On one of the days we're there, I want to rent a canoe at Fort Wilderness. I think that DH would really enjoy it since he's tired of Disney theme park-focused trips, so this would be a good way for us to get some down time from Theme Park Fatigue.

Awesome, loving the posts everyone!

I did read that November gets the least rainfall out of all Florida months so that's awesome. We will still come prepared!

I'm having the hardest time trying to pick which days to what parks. I've been lurking on the Disney World board and so far the common consensus is that weekends are the busiest. And it seems like no matter what day you pick Hollywood Studios is always busier. We would arrive on a Friday and I thought I'd do Epcot and Animal Kingdom on the weekend days since they seem to be easier to distance in since they're bigger. And then switch back and forth between Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios the last four days. Getting on Rise of the Resistance is a huge priority.

We can honestly live on Mickey pretzels and churros most of the day and be satisfied- I imagine those type of snack carts are plentiful at WDW? I can't imagine them being open right now without Mickey pretzels! My focus is all about the rides so I don't want to spend too much time doing long dining... although Be Our Guest is a must. Any other must restaurants? I know many are closed too.

We are here now. We were able to find a DVC rental for the same price as a moderate resort. Worth checking out if you’d like a upgraded resort experience and a little kitchenette in your room. The kitchenette has come in handy since food options are so limited now and a lot of places close early. We are at the Polynesian which also has two bathrooms...we are only a family of 4 but it has helped us get ready in the mornings much faster.

Awesome, loving the posts everyone!

I did read that November gets the least rainfall out of all Florida months so that's awesome. We will still come prepared!

I'm having the hardest time trying to pick which days to what parks. I've been lurking on the Disney World board and so far the common consensus is that weekends are the busiest. And it seems like no matter what day you pick Hollywood Studios is always busier. We would arrive on a Friday and I thought I'd do Epcot and Animal Kingdom on the weekend days since they seem to be easier to distance in since they're bigger. And then switch back and forth between Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios the last four days. Getting on Rise of the Resistance is a huge priority.

We can honestly live on Mickey pretzels and churros most of the day and be satisfied- I imagine those type of snack carts are plentiful at WDW? I can't imagine them being open right now without Mickey pretzels! My focus is all about the rides so I don't want to spend too much time doing long dining... although Be Our Guest is a must. Any other must restaurants? I know many are closed too.
Here now and snack carts are few and far between. Many of them are closed.I’m guessing it’s partly due to the reduced workforce and partly due to Disney not wanting to encourage people to take their masks off while walking around.

Sci-Fi at Hollywood Studios is a cool restaurant and not crazy expensive. We ate at Be Our Guest when we were here a few years ago but they’ve changed the menu and it’s very pricey now. It was neat when it was moderately priced but IMHO not worth the prices they are charging now for lunch/dinner.

Here now and snack carts are few and far between. Many of them are closed.I’m guessing it’s partly due to the reduced workforce and partly due to Disney not wanting to encourage people to take their masks off while walking around.

This worries me- I'm very emotionally invested in Mickey pretzels and churros lol. They're still there though, right? Just less of them?

We are frequent DLR and WDW visitors With DVC homes at the Grand Cali and Poly and I love to plan. We leave for CCV at WDW at 5am tomorrow! We canceled our VGC fall break trip 2 months ago. It was the perfect time to get all of our desired park reservations and dining choices. To echo others, if you are thinking of going and your dining 60 day window is opening grab what you think you will want or risk them not being available. Regardless of the weather or crowds, we are excited to be going.

I am having a heck of a time finding dining. Nearly every option I want has no availability for our dates in November. Well, hopefully we can survive off that quick service lol!

Vegetarians beware... the limited menus have also seem to cut out a lot of vegan/vegetarian friendly options too

I am having a heck of a time finding dining. Nearly every option I want has no availability for our dates in November. Well, hopefully we can survive off that quick service lol!
I recommend Tiffins for AK! It is very very pricey, but it was really good! The decor of the restaurant is amazing.

Based on my intense whirlwind of research from the past two days here's some things I've learned about going to WDW during these odd times, if it can be helpful to anyone:

• Book your dining right at the 60 day mark otherwise you won't find too much. Especially any of the few character dining options.
  • Hollywood Studios seems to be the most crowded so plan accordingly. The new Mickey Runaway Railway ride seems to always have a long line.
  • I personally think just going with an Uber to Hollywood Studios for a better chance for a boarding pass is the way to go.
  • Seeing more reports of longer lines and people are really wishing they'd bring back Fastpass. Weekdays seem to be best for this.
  • Advice I received on the WDW boards was to pick your favorite of the popular ride in the morning and go there first. Circle back if a line is long, it might die down.
  • Resort pools can be crowded in the evenings as the parks are closing early which is expected.
  • Walt Disney World does not have a mint julep! (not a new thing, just one thing I am just shocked about I tell ya- shocked!)

Even though I was 99.9% sure we would cancel our December WDW trip, I still haven’t let it go. I currently have a split stay the week before Christmas at CCV and BCV. Getting away to (open) Disney sounds heavenly to me and the kids, but hubby is in healthcare and isn’t so keen on the idea. I love seeing the lobbies decorated for Christmas, and that is itself a huge draw.... We need to decide soon as I’ll need to use my banked points for our summer 2021 Aulani trip. 😱

A few random tips... we always bring quite a few of the cheap emergency/disposable ponchos that we purchase off Amazon. The nice Disney ones are tempting, but we’ve never splurged. We tend to reuse them until they tear.

We also always place at least one Amazon Prime Now order for water bottles, snacks, and some meals depending on if we’re in a studio/1 bedroom. There are other companies to choose from as well. I’d definitely recommend ordering some easy/light meal and snack options since dining is somewhat limited.

Speaking of dining, just like at DLR, you can usually find hard to get TS reservations the day prior when other guests cancel. I think there are a couple sites that you can set to search for desired reservations (not sure if they’re allowed to be mentioned...) This might be less successful with the limited options, so YMMV.

We don’t mind the buses, but BCV is our favorite for walking to Epcot and DHS. I’ve heard that even ubering to HS can be rough as traffic backs up like crazy! Another option is to uber to Boardwalk and then walk to HS to get into the park super early.

Enjoy! And I’ll be super jealous of you all if we do end up canceling!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter