Moving costs from Boston to Pittsburgh--$12,000!!

You also have to factor in that Boston is an expensive place to live therefore the cost of things will be higher than in PA. Try pricing the cost in reverse and I bet the price will be lower.

I would definitely consider some other options, or at least call around and get some competing prices. That's not a short distance by any means, but it's not that far either. At least not far enough to warrant those prices to me. Try a1autotransport.com - they give free estimates, move to any state, and I'm guessing probably cheaper than that as well. Good luck!

I am now from the school of Dump it and move and buy new it is cheaper.....
However if only listen to my own advice-- I do have furniture we paid a lot for and I will take that when we move most likely.. but most things and all new things I buy now will be dumped.. I buy decent not Ikea but not high quality either things I know I will need to replace in 7-10 years maybe a few more if I push it which I will as I will move in that time frame...or at least that is the plan
I moved about 15 1/2 years ago and it was not expensive (compared to now) I believe 1,200 but maybe 50 miles... a few years after I moved I threw a lot of the stuff out anyway and though why did I bring all this crap... seriously sit down and truly think about what you will keep...

At those prices, I'd say leave the furniture in Boston and buy new stuff when you get to Pittsburgh!
I agree!
They're not really comfortable driving 10-12 hours in a rented truck, not to mention just getting their furniture, etc. in the truck.
Why? 12K is almost a used car! I'd certainly do the loading and the driving for that much.
How did you find people to load and unload everything? Will moving companies do that?
I know a couple people who've hired a church youth group to do some packing /all the truck loading. Church youth groups are usually planning some sort of a trip, so offer them snacks and a generous donation ... you'll get a bunch of enthusiastic workers and their adult supervisers.
We were a little concerned about insurance but I guess no one else was. My husband is one of 6 so he doesn’t try to take the lead on many things.
Your used furniture and clothing has value to you, but not much actual monetary value ... I wouldn't worry about insurance.

If you look at the street view on Google maps, that little house was torn down and a much larger building was in mid-construction. Maybe the pricing is related to that?
Or does every little bungalow in Seattle go for that much?

No the houses aren't worth anything. They city rezoned the property to allow to multi story apartment buildings. It is the land that is worth $40m an acre. That is what the developer is buying. The lots zoned for single family houses are only worth about $5m to $10m an acre. Once they rezone it to allow for apartments the land is worth $20m to $50m an acre.

I agree!
Why? 12K is almost a used car! I'd certainly do the loading and the driving for that much.
I know a couple people who've hired a church youth group to do some packing /all the truck loading. Church youth groups are usually planning some sort of a trip, so offer them snacks and a generous donation ... you'll get a bunch of enthusiastic workers and their adult supervisers.
Your used furniture and clothing has value to you, but not much actual monetary value ... I wouldn't worry about insurance.
I meant insurance on the movers themselves. In the event someone got hurt. And typically a moving company insures your stuff in case they break something. Not sure we would have had any recourse if things got broken.

No the houses aren't worth anything. They city rezoned the property to allow to multi story apartment buildings. It is the land that is worth $40m an acre. That is what the developer is buying. The lots zoned for single family houses are only worth about $5m to $10m an acre. Once they rezone it to allow for apartments the land is worth $20m to $50m an acre.

:faint:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!