Moving to Melbourne, Florida

Thanks that’s good to hear! What did she like about Melbourne?

One of the biggest factors is the weather. No more snow/cold. They really liked the house/neighborhood they were in. The neighbors were great and they made friends. There was a real community to it. They had neighborhood pot lucks, etc. Overall, the quality of their life was better. They were able to get out and do more throughout the year. Her husband liked his job there better than the one he had here. Less stress and very little travel (the job here was about 80% travel so she was alone a lot). They traveled a lot while they were there, taking advantage of Florida rates for semi-last minute cruises. They both liked the beach and while they weren't on the water, they were just a short drive away. She worked part-time and didn't have any trouble finding a job. She keeps saying that when they retire she wants to move back. Since they were a military family (retired) they've lived all over and that's where they want to go back to.

One of the biggest factors is the weather. No more snow/cold. They really liked the house/neighborhood they were in. The neighbors were great and they made friends. There was a real community to it. They had neighborhood pot lucks, etc. Overall, the quality of their life was better. They were able to get out and do more throughout the year. Her husband liked his job there better than the one he had here. Less stress and very little travel (the job here was about 80% travel so she was alone a lot). They traveled a lot while they were there, taking advantage of Florida rates for semi-last minute cruises. They both liked the beach and while they weren't on the water, they were just a short drive away. She worked part-time and didn't have any trouble finding a job. She keeps saying that when they retire she wants to move back. Since they were a military family (retired) they've lived all over and that's where they want to go back to.
I'm very excited about the weather. It was 77 here Monday and two days later the high was 39 and it's been crappy ever since. It's been so cloudy and windy here lately. I really hope we find a good neighborhood with people that socialize some. One huge thing on our list is a neighborhood pool so we can have an easy way to meet people. Dh will be in the same boat (hopefully) as far as jobs go. The whole reason we're moving is so he can have a better job. He hasn't enjoyed his current one for about a year or two. There was even a period where he was having some serious depression from work so we both decided something needed to change. A guy in his mid-twenties shouldn't hate his job that much. I'm positive we'll be taking advantage of all of the things to do there. There are so many great places that offer Florida resident discounts. Dh has never been to the beach so that will probably be one of the first things we do. He's also obsessed with space travel and technology so I'm sure we'll get to the space center pretty early after moving, too.

I’m just curious about something....

During our house hunting online we’ve found some houses that have salt water pools. Is this easier to maintain or is it a stylistic approach? I’ve never seen a salt water pool that’s why I was wondering. I imagine it’s not as harsh on your hair and skin but I don’t know.

My advice would be to not even bother with a pool. They are a very big PITA (I am taking mine out of the ground) and very costly (pools here evaporate at lightning speed, so not only does your electric bill go up but so will your water).

My advice would be to not even bother with a pool. They are a very big PITA (I am taking mine out of the ground) and very costly (pools here evaporate at lightning speed, so not only does your electric bill go up but so will your water).
That’s good to know. It seems like most of the houses we’re looking at have a pool but we do have some without. I’d prefer a neighborhood pool but if we find a house we love and it has its own pool we might get it anyway. Lots of things to think about though. Is your pool chlorine or saltwater?

During our house hunting online we’ve found some houses that have salt water pools. Is this easier to maintain or is it a stylistic approach? I’ve never seen a salt water pool that’s why I was wondering. I imagine it’s not as harsh on your hair and skin but I don’t know.
I’ve had both and prefer salt. That said I will never again have a pool.

Our neighborhood does not allow chlorine pools and for good reason. Also, the maintenance is crazy. The Solermo villages north and south have community pools.

What do you not like about having a pool?
I just grew to dislike the expense of it. Storm would blow through and knock out panels. Lots of needing to dump water when the summer storms come through. There were summers that it was not used once. The kids grew bored of it. Their friends all had pools and didn’t care to use it. They didn’t use their own. I had a pool service but still needed to clean the deck and furniture. I didn’t like hearing the pump. I think once that 2 summers went by and only the dog jumped in a few times. I know lots of families that have had many many years go by with out the pool used. I know one lady that hasn’t used hers in 30 years. It just becomes a bother to even use.

I just grew to dislike the expense of it. Storm would blow through and knock out panels. Lots of needing to dump water when the summer storms come through. There were summers that it was not used once. The kids grew bored of it. Their friends all had pools and didn’t care to use it. They didn’t use their own. I had a pool service but still needed to clean the deck and furniture. I didn’t like hearing the pump. I think once that 2 summers went by and only the dog jumped in a few times. I know lots of families that have had many many years go by with out the pool used. I know one lady that hasn’t used hers in 30 years. It just becomes a bother to even use.
Do you have a screen around yours? We would 100% use a pool. I’ve wanted a pool for a very long time. I will admit the cleaning and upkeep would be a pain. We just found a house with an awesome yard but they just installed their pool last year and it doesn’t have a screen around it

Do you have a screen around yours? We would 100% use a pool. I’ve wanted a pool for a very long time. I will admit the cleaning and upkeep would be a pain. We just found a house with an awesome yard but they just installed their pool last year and it doesn’t have a screen around it
Yes it had a screen enclosure. That what I meant about panels blowing out. It wasn’t a common occurrence and not overly expensive but each spring a few would need replaced. Know that a screen enclosure keeps water temps cooler unless the pool is heated. Nothing terrible but noticeable.

When we first moved to Florida, we lived in a house with an in ground pool. We practically lived in the pool that first year. As the years went by (we lived there about ten years) we used it less and less, and by the last year we maybe used it a half dozen times. Maybe. Real life just gets in the way. It’s a big commitment as far as upkeep. I would seriously consider how much you will use it before taking one on.

Ours was not screened, and since it was in full sun, we didn’t need a heater either. The screen would have been one more thing to maintain.

When we first moved to Florida, we lived in a house with an in ground pool. We practically lived in the pool that first year. As the years went by (we lived there about ten years) we used it less and less, and by the last year we maybe used it a half dozen times. Maybe. Real life just gets in the way. It’s a big commitment as far as upkeep. I would seriously consider how much you will use it before taking one on.

Ours was not screened, and since it was in full sun, we didn’t need a heater either. The screen would have been one more thing to maintain.
So not having a screen could be better? We found a house we like with a huge yard and pool but no screen. We just assumed since everyone has a screen that we would need one

So not having a screen could be better? We found a house we like with a huge yard and pool but no screen. We just assumed since everyone has a screen that we would need one
I would want a screen. If the pool doesn’t have one you can install one later usually.

Because of bugs?

Yes, most people have the screen to cut down on mosquitoes and other bugs. But you have to maintain the screen as well as the pool, making sure it’s kept clean and debris free and repairing it when it gets holes. Plus, you get diffused sunlight through the screen which isn’t as effective in keeping the water warm, so you need a heater for year round swimming.

In our neighborhood about half the people had screens and about half didn’t. We didn’t, but the people who bought our house put one in later (according to our former neighbor). So I wouldn’t rule out a house just because it doesn’t have a screen. You can add one later if the rest of the house is a good fit for you.

Yes, most people have the screen to cut down on mosquitoes and other bugs. But you have to maintain the screen as well as the pool, making sure it’s kept clean and debris free and repairing it when it gets holes. Plus, you get diffused sunlight through the screen which isn’t as effective in keeping the water warm, so you need a heater for year round swimming.

In our neighborhood about half the people had screens and about half didn’t. We didn’t, but the people who bought our house put one in later (according to our former neighbor). So I wouldn’t rule out a house just because it doesn’t have a screen. You can add one later if the rest of the house is a good fit for you.
Thank you that’s really reassuring. This house we found seriously has a huge yard for Florida. Not at all what I would expect and it’s fenced in.

This has been the case for everyone I know that has a pool. I grew up in NC, but we had an inground pool. Our family used it constantly the first 3 summers. After that, we mostly used it, when we had friends over. That was fairly frequent, because we had the only pool in the area. It almost became a burden, because my sister closest to my age & I would have to spend the day in the pool anytime anyone in the neighborhood wanted to come over to swim. (I'm a Southerner, we're not good at saying no. :p) After we all moved out, my parents filled the pool with dirt. It became part of the yard. DH, DS & I have lived in 3 communities that had community pools. When we used the pool, we were usually alone. The only time it was ever crowded was when a resident had a pool party. We know several people that spend a lot of money maintaining their pool, just to keep it looking nice. They rarely use it.

OP, I can understand really wanting a pool. We couldn't wait to get our pool, when I was growing up. IME, the odds of not getting tired of it are very low. Knowing what I do, I would never buy a home with a pool, unless I planned to sell it in a couple of years. People aren't trying to be negative. They're just speaking from experience. A community pool is a nice option though.

As far as salt water pools go, my only experience with them is on cruise ships. You couldn't give me a salt water pool. I won't use them. You have the burning eyes, without the advantage of being in the ocean. Admittedly, people with more experience could offer better advice on that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!