Moving to Tampa - Advice Please!

MilitaryMouse

Mouseketeer
We are moving to Tampa at the end of the year for my husband's job. If anyone here lives in Tampa, I'd love any advice or resources on which areas/neighborhoods to look for a rental place (preferably an apartment), and what it's like to live in Tampa (we're from Seattle so just a LITTLE different ;)).

We have a one year old, so a family friendly/walking friendly neighborhood would be awesome (we will have a car, just enjoy going for walks). We'll only be there for 9 months so schools are not a concern. And of course, the most important question...how is the drive to WDW?? :)

Thank you!

Try city-data.com and search under Forums. Then select the state and city. There is a wealth of information often times in different cities of Florida for people looking to relocate. We flew in/out of Tampa this past fall and the drive was very easy, about an hour and 20 minutes. Tampa International is very nice, they have a great rental car system as you take a tram to a central location, very efficient! Best of luck, 9 months is not a long time, but hope that you enjoy it! We have vacationed in St.Petersburg Beach, Clearwater Beach, Ft. Myers Beach, Marco Island, Siesta Key and Longboat Key(Sarasota area), all really great beaches! Think my favorite is Siesta Key(the sand is so nice!) Hopefully, you will get to explore the gorgeous west coast of Florida while you are there! Best of Luck! pixiedust:

Last edited:

I would look just outside of downtown to cut down on commute time. Traffic can be bad... Disney is about 1.5 hours away on a good day. Usually with traffic it’s more like 2-3 :scared:

Lowery Park Zoo is amazing for little ones though and I highly recommend it as well as MOSI. There is a lot of really awesome things in the area for kids.

Try city-data.com and search under Forums. Then select the state and city. There is a wealth of information often times in different cities of Florida for people looking to relocate. We flew in/out of Tampa this past fall and the drive was very easy, about an hour and 20 minutes. Tampa International is very nice, they have a great rental car system as you take a tram to a central location, very efficient! Best of luck, 9 months is not a long time, but hope that you enjoy it! We have vacationed in St.Petersburg Beach, Clearwater Beach, Ft. Myers Beach, Marco Island, Siesta Key and Longboat Key(Sarasota area), all really great beaches! Think my favorite is Siesta Key(the sand is so nice!) Hopefully, you will get to explore the gorgeous west coast of Florida while you are there! Best of Luck! pixiedust:

Awesome, thank you, I will check out city-data.com. 9 months is definitely not long - adding those beaches to my list! Thanks!

Where In Tampa will his job be? That will give us an idea of areas to recommend. One thing I do not recommend in Tampa is a long commute to work.

He'll be working at Macdill Air Force Base. That's a good point, I hadn't considered the traffic in Tampa..!

Can he ask co-workers where they recommend? If only going to be there for 9 months, do you plan to lease/rent vs. buy?

We plan on (hopefully) renting an apartment. It's a military assignment, so most of his co-workers live on base. We're hoping to live off base for a little more flexibility/more options in living spaces.

I would look just outside of downtown to cut down on commute time. Traffic can be bad... Disney is about 1.5 hours away on a good day. Usually with traffic it’s more like 2-3 :scared:

Lowery Park Zoo is amazing for little ones though and I highly recommend it as well as MOSI. There is a lot of really awesome things in the area for kids.

Thank you! I'll add those to the list - definitely need ideas for where to take the toddler :)

Oof, 2-3 hours is a lot longer than I anticipated! Good to know!

He'll be working at Macdill Air Force Base. That's a good point, I hadn't considered the traffic in Tampa..!

I have been to MacDill a couple times. Most of the type of housing/neighborhood that it sounds like you prefer are going to be a bit of a drive from the base. You are kind of centrally located between the Tampa/St. Pete area though. I made the trip to the base from Pinellas County, about a mile inland from the Gulf beaches. I wasn't making the drive during rush hour, but it still took about 40 minutes. But if you are researching neighborhoods, it wouldn't hurt to research eastern St. Pete as well. It won't be any farther than the nicer neighborhoods in northern Tampa and if you like the beaches, it will make it easier to visit them.

As far as how long it takes to get to Disney, an hour and a half is pretty standard unless something has occurred to bring I-4 to a standstill, which does happen. If you choose a neighborhood in eastern Tampa, you will miss the most congested part of the trip to Disney, but trade it for a very congested commute to the base. We used to cut across Pinellas County to the Gandy Bridge (the closest bridge across Tampa Bay from the beaches to MacDill), hop on the Selmon Expressway (toll) which took us through south Tampa, and then took I-75 up to I-4 (which meet way out on the eastern edge of Tampa). It was a few miles longer, but we didn't get caught up in all the bad traffic on I-275.

If he'll be working at McDill and you want a walkable neighborhood I'd look in South Tampa. That's where I'd live if I didn't need good schools (I'm in northeast Tampa, referred to as "New Tampa"). There are tons of condos/townhomes/apartments in South Tampa, most within walking distance of parks, shops, restaurants, etc. That's also where most of the good/interesting restaurants in Tampa are. Much of South Tampa is old and established, with beautiful old neighborhoods and gorgeous homes. Look up "Bayshore Tampa," sometimes called "Bayshore Beautiful." I love to drive around that area. Where I live is very nice but everything is relatively new construction and--to me--boring. Even the new construction in South Tampa is very tastefully done to blend in with or complement the old neighborhoods. And it's near the river/bay (river runs through downtown to the bay.)

Traffic is crazy in Tampa during rush hours so it's imperative that you either live near your husband's job or that he keep irregular hours if he doesn't want a long commute. I used to go in early or late or work from home to avoid traffic, but now I drive my daughter to school downtown every day and can't avoid the morning madness. I've gotten used to it and it really doesn't bother me anymore--I know it'll take a while and I just accept it. So your husband will have to decide how much this matters to him if you'd like to live far from his work, but really you're lucky that there are plenty of nice neighborhoods not far from McDill.

It takes me about an hour and a half to get to Disney but I go at "good" times, such as early Saturday or Sunday mornings, or if I go on a weekday I leave after 9:00am. If you leave after work on a Friday evening (bad idea) it could take as long as two and a half hours (but that's rare). Coming from Tampa, you approach Orlando from the southwest so you get to Disney before you hit all the Orlando traffic; it's one of the first "Orlando" exits you get to. It sometimes takes a little longer coming home unless you leave sometime mid-day--traffic just always seems to be bad at night on I-4 anywhere around Orlando--it thins out the farther away you get.

Lowry Park Zoo is nice and so is the aquarium. MOSI is in a state of transition (supposed to be moving downtown, problems with the board of directors, etc.) and what they have left open currently is incredibly, ridiculously not worth the money. There are of course tons of beaches to explore. Busch Gardens is an awesome, closer, cheaper alternative to Disney. It's incredibly affordable to get a pass to Busch Gardens and Adventure Islands (the water park) and while it's no where near in the same league as Disney, it's really quite nice and a lot of fun. They have an entire Sesame Street themed area that your 1-year-old would probably love. When my kids were younger I used to take them there and I'd sit with a book and read while they played there for hours (although yours would obviously require more supervision, haha). It's also fun for little kids to watch the cruise ships leave port, or take a cruise yourself!

I didn't grow up in Tampa but I've been here for around 8 years now so let me know if you have any questions.

I used to live in Tampa and I loved it. We lived in Temple Terrace area near Busch Gardens and USF. Not sure where the base is though as it's been a long time. I hope you have lots of happy times there though.

Call the relocation assistance help at MacDill. The office is within the Airman and Family Services Building. They typically can send you relocation packet and give you some tips where not to rent or if some business is on the black list for off base housing.

There are some lovely neighborhoods near McDill - definitely look in South Tampa. Old, established, beautiful homes and tons of growth. Being in that area can get you other places pretty quickly, not during rush hour of course ;) And his commute will be very short.

My DH works near McDill but we live in St Pete. He can get to work in 15 minutes (just over the bridge!) but works 7am-4pm, so he misses all the backup. Depending on his hours, might be worth considering St Pete. We LOOOOVE it here.

The most it's taken us to get to Disney is 2 hours and that was when we realized that going after work is a no-go. You'll learn the best times to travel there - it's 1hr 15min from our house. 20 minutes to the (best) beach :)

Good luck in your research!

We have lived in Tampa since 2003. My husband still Works on MacDill (I use to). If you can afford the rent in South Tampa that would be the way to go for just 9 months. Look around the Hyde park area.

If your husband is open to taking the MacDill Express Bus, you will probably want Brandon/Valrico area. Brandon is also called “MacDill East” because of all the military families living there. Tampa Bay covers many areas so you will have lots of options. Many folks are going North to Wesley Chapel, Lutz, Land O Lakes, but that’s makes for a longer commute in heavy traffic. If you were moving permanently and were also looking at schools, it would change my recommendation. Nine months will go by very quickly.

I have been to MacDill a couple times. Most of the type of housing/neighborhood that it sounds like you prefer are going to be a bit of a drive from the base. You are kind of centrally located between the Tampa/St. Pete area though. I made the trip to the base from Pinellas County, about a mile inland from the Gulf beaches. I wasn't making the drive during rush hour, but it still took about 40 minutes. But if you are researching neighborhoods, it wouldn't hurt to research eastern St. Pete as well. It won't be any farther than the nicer neighborhoods in northern Tampa and if you like the beaches, it will make it easier to visit them.

As far as how long it takes to get to Disney, an hour and a half is pretty standard unless something has occurred to bring I-4 to a standstill, which does happen. If you choose a neighborhood in eastern Tampa, you will miss the most congested part of the trip to Disney, but trade it for a very congested commute to the base. We used to cut across Pinellas County to the Gandy Bridge (the closest bridge across Tampa Bay from the beaches to MacDill), hop on the Selmon Expressway (toll) which took us through south Tampa, and then took I-75 up to I-4 (which meet way out on the eastern edge of Tampa). It was a few miles longer, but we didn't get caught up in all the bad traffic on I-275.

I don't know why I didn't even consider traffic to/from base...silly me! St. Pete looks amazing, I'll definitely look in that area as well as other eastern neighborhoods. I suppose I will sacrifice a slight shorter drive to WDW so DH isn't sitting in traffic for hours :D

If he'll be working at McDill and you want a walkable neighborhood I'd look in South Tampa. That's where I'd live if I didn't need good schools (I'm in northeast Tampa, referred to as "New Tampa"). There are tons of condos/townhomes/apartments in South Tampa, most within walking distance of parks, shops, restaurants, etc. That's also where most of the good/interesting restaurants in Tampa are. Much of South Tampa is old and established, with beautiful old neighborhoods and gorgeous homes. Look up "Bayshore Tampa," sometimes called "Bayshore Beautiful." I love to drive around that area. Where I live is very nice but everything is relatively new construction and--to me--boring. Even the new construction in South Tampa is very tastefully done to blend in with or complement the old neighborhoods. And it's near the river/bay (river runs through downtown to the bay.)

Traffic is crazy in Tampa during rush hours so it's imperative that you either live near your husband's job or that he keep irregular hours if he doesn't want a long commute. I used to go in early or late or work from home to avoid traffic, but now I drive my daughter to school downtown every day and can't avoid the morning madness. I've gotten used to it and it really doesn't bother me anymore--I know it'll take a while and I just accept it. So your husband will have to decide how much this matters to him if you'd like to live far from his work, but really you're lucky that there are plenty of nice neighborhoods not far from McDill.

It takes me about an hour and a half to get to Disney but I go at "good" times, such as early Saturday or Sunday mornings, or if I go on a weekday I leave after 9:00am. If you leave after work on a Friday evening (bad idea) it could take as long as two and a half hours (but that's rare). Coming from Tampa, you approach Orlando from the southwest so you get to Disney before you hit all the Orlando traffic; it's one of the first "Orlando" exits you get to. It sometimes takes a little longer coming home unless you leave sometime mid-day--traffic just always seems to be bad at night on I-4 anywhere around Orlando--it thins out the farther away you get.

Lowry Park Zoo is nice and so is the aquarium. MOSI is in a state of transition (supposed to be moving downtown, problems with the board of directors, etc.) and what they have left open currently is incredibly, ridiculously not worth the money. There are of course tons of beaches to explore. Busch Gardens is an awesome, closer, cheaper alternative to Disney. It's incredibly affordable to get a pass to Busch Gardens and Adventure Islands (the water park) and while it's no where near in the same league as Disney, it's really quite nice and a lot of fun. They have an entire Sesame Street themed area that your 1-year-old would probably love. When my kids were younger I used to take them there and I'd sit with a book and read while they played there for hours (although yours would obviously require more supervision, haha). It's also fun for little kids to watch the cruise ships leave port, or take a cruise yourself!

I didn't grow up in Tampa but I've been here for around 8 years now so let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you! I started taking notes on what you wrote, then just copied and pasted into my Word doc b/c there's too much good info :D Do you know generally when "rush hour" is? It feels like all day in Seattle now...there's like two hours in the middle of the day when it's not congested o_O

I've been to Busch Gardens once (and loved it!) but I didn't realize just how close to Tampa it is!

I used to live in Tampa and I loved it. We lived in Temple Terrace area near Busch Gardens and USF. Not sure where the base is though as it's been a long time. I hope you have lots of happy times there though.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to experiencing Tampa! I hear mostly really great things :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter