Ms Shuttergirl - Canon dSLR settings for Disney fireworks, indoor/dark shots etc

PrincessInOz

Thanks for my avatar, Mary Jo!
Hey Shuttergirl. Hoping that you can help out us novices again. I'm hoping that you can check out the settings below and see if we're on the right path.

1Rocky and me are playing with our new Canon cameras; and I've been doing a bit of research for the settings for the different scenarios for shots at Disney. I know we can post this on the photography section of the DisBoard - but I'm to shy:rolleyes1 to ask, given that they are all so serious over there :rotfl2:.

1. Fireworks. We would need tripod and a remote trigger. Set camera to Manual Mode. We could play with the setting options ISO 200, 1/10 shutter speed, F10 (or F8), 3 - 5 sec exposure.

2. Indoor Shows. Manual mode. Possibly use AI focus.
ISO 800, 1/250 (OR 1/200), F4 or lower.

3. Spectromagic/Electric Light Show. Shutter Priority.
ISO 800, 1/50 shutter speed, F4 or lower.

4. Dark Rides. Manual Mode.
ISO 1600, 1/30, F4 or lower.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmmm technical talk, :rotfl2:. You might be better to ask on the photographer board, haha but I'll give it a go.

You must remember, whilst I am a professional photographer, I only shoot in good natural light and it's a moving child usually or a sleeping newborn, not fireworks, :lmao:.

But here goes.

1. Fireworks. We would need tripod and a remote trigger. Set camera to Manual Mode. We could play with the setting options ISO 200, 1/10 shutter speed, F10 (or F8), 3 - 5 sec exposure.

I hope you have a small tripod because I can't imagine lugging one around the parks. You can get the little gorilla tripod things that would be lightweight and easy to use. Alternatively you could use a garbage can or fence of bench. I've never shot fireworks but your settings sound okay. I would quickly have a little play with the settings when the show starts. But definitely go and have a bit more of an explore around the photography section. Alot of the photogs over there post their camera settings with their images.

2. Indoor Shows. Manual mode. Possibly use AI focus.
ISO 800, 1/250 (OR 1/200), F4 or lower.

I photographed Aladdin in DL last year and I think I used a much lower shutterspeed than that, probably more like 125 because I took my 3rd backup camera and couldn't bump the ISO up too much. Shoot at wider open than F4 if your lens/camera will allow. I actually did end up getting some nice shots that I was really pleased with.

3. Spectromagic/Electric Light Show. Shutter Priority.
ISO 800, 1/50 shutter speed, F4 or lower.

You will need your shutter speed higher than that unless you have very very steady hands I would say. I don't like to go under 90 but prefer a min of 125

4. Dark Rides. Manual Mode.
ISO 1600, 1/30, F4 or lower.

Good imagse from dark rides are T-O-U-G-H. Seriously I wish you luck. I believe dark rides depend alot on the lens that you use as well. You need to have a wide enough lens to fit everything in because usually you are so very very close to the subjects. A shutter speed of 30 I believe will not be enough so use the widest aperture that you possibly can. It really is trial and error. I tried to capture the "brightest" parts of the rides rather than dark bits to give myself more chance of getting something decent. Good luck with this one, it's tough and I really sucked at this as well, :lmao:

PrincessinOz, sorry I wasn't more help. Whilst I do know my camera back to front, I would say I don't even think about the settings I am using when I am using them in unfamiliar situations, I just play around with things until it feels right.

Good luck, I can't wait to see your photos.

thanks Ms Shuttergirl
looking forward to trying these out.
but iam a real novice at this.

Thanks Shuttergirl.

I did try the photography board and noted down most of the setting from photos that were great. The settings I posted here were a composite of the ones I liked there, plus taking note of what the lens would go down to for aperture. I just thought I'd check it with you; and also do a post in case anyone else (other than 1Rocky and I) were in the same situation. 1Rocky has the twin lens; so the aperture setting may be lower than the 18 - 55.

And yes, a lot of them are using the garbage cans for a tripod!

I am hoping to buy the 50 mm/f1.4 in the US; so that would allow my aperture to be opened wider. From what I can see on the boards, it would seem that the dark rides/low light settings were better with f2.2 or lower. I figure that I'll definitely need your good luck wishes for me to get a good shot...and if I don't, then I'll be hitting the delete button a lot :rotfl:.

I've taken note of your recommendations and will be trying them all out!

Thanks again!! Much appreciated.

I'm a point and shoot girl but I can highly recommend the garbage cans :lmao::lmao:
They are excellent tripods...
I have a mini gorilla pod :thumbsup2 which I screw into the bottom of my camera and then stick it on the garbage can. I can even pull off vertical shots because of the flexibility of gorilla. (but again this is a small olympus 1040)

One thing I will say though is that piers do move even if you don't feel it :rolleyes1
So you can't use the pier at the Grand Floridian as a stable thing to balance your camera on to take pictures of the water pageant

Thanks Shuttergirl.

I did try the photography board and noted down most of the setting from photos that were great. The settings I posted here were a composite of the ones I liked there, plus taking note of what the lens would go down to for aperture. I just thought I'd check it with you; and also do a post in case anyone else (other than 1Rocky and I) were in the same situation. 1Rocky has the twin lens; so the aperture setting may be lower than the 18 - 55.

I am hoping to buy the 50 mm/f1.4 in the US; so that would allow my aperture to be opened wider. From what I can see on the boards, it would seem that the dark rides/low light settings were better with f2.2 or lower. I figure that I'll definitely need your good luck wishes for me to get a good shot...and if I don't, then I'll be hitting the delete button a lot :rotfl:.

I've taken note of your recommendations and will be trying them all out!

Thanks again!! Much appreciated.

The 50mm 1.4 is a wonderful lens, you will get lots of lovely pictures with that. With regard to the dark rides, try to brace your elbows onto the side of the car/buggy/transport you are in. It should help to minimise camera shake so that even with a low shutter speed, you will have alot more luck of getting sharp images.

If I may add something here (I am only a hack however). We were in WDW over xmas recently and had with us a 50mm f1.8 lens, hooked up to a Canon 400d. We got some awesome photos at night of fireworks and buildings etc, but one downside is that 50mm is not wide enough in most cases, particularly in dark rides. We had to try and set up too far away to get enough of the subject in shot, which was frustrating.

When in San Fran I bought a Sigma 17-70mm with 1:2.8-4.5 aperture and we used it in DL at the end of our trip. The results with this lens were remarkable, because not only could we have a wider perspective in shot, but that also opened up the aperture as well, which gave us some great shots. Don't get me wrong the 50mm is worth every cent you will pay for it, I used it alot, but you will need to be patient with not being able to fit some things, and especially people, in shot.

Oh, and by the way, I gave up on dark rides even with the 50mm lens. Tried all sorts of shutter speeds and settings but couldn't get any success. I respect anyone who can get decent shots in them.

If I may add something here (I am only a hack however). We were in WDW over xmas recently and had with us a 50mm f1.8 lens, hooked up to a Canon 400d. We got some awesome photos at night of fireworks and buildings etc, but one downside is that 50mm is not wide enough in most cases, particularly in dark rides. We had to try and set up too far away to get enough of the subject in shot, which was frustrating.

When in San Fran I bought a Sigma 17-70mm with 1:2.8-4.5 aperture and we used it in DL at the end of our trip. The results with this lens were remarkable, because not only could we have a wider perspective in shot, but that also opened up the aperture as well, which gave us some great shots. Don't get me wrong the 50mm is worth every cent you will pay for it, I used it alot, but you will need to be patient with not being able to fit some things, and especially people, in shot.

Oh, and by the way, I gave up on dark rides even with the 50mm lens. Tried all sorts of shutter speeds and settings but couldn't get any success. I respect anyone who can get decent shots in them.

I totally agree Arje. I took a 28mm lens with me for this exact reason and ended up pretty much just leaving it on the camera most of the time. And yeah good dark ride images are hard to come by.

I asked a Disney fanatic friend who takes amazing photos and this was his feedback.

For Fireworks I use Shutter Priority Settings and tend to go with at least an 8 Second exposure.
A tripod is absolutely necessary but a remote trigger is not. I set it to a 2 sec. trigger delay. It works
just as well as having a remote trigger I think.

Indoor shows ISO depends on how dark the shows are. Obviously if there is more light you can bump
down the ISO.

With Dark rides the lowest F-stop the better, you may even need to go as high as 3200 ISO.
Especially with rides like POTC. I learned that afterwards 1600 wasnt enough for me.

I didnt actually take any nighttime parade shots this trip so I cant tell you what I used on that.

Just remember with low light you still need a fast shutter to catch moving things. So the ISO
is very important. You will get a bit of grain on those Higher ISO shots. Just remember though, with
Higher Resolution Cameras you can scale down your shots in Photoshop and even run some minimal
noise filters and that will get rid of some of that grain.

Hope this helps a little. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter