MtF wanting to work for disney

Cara Danvers

Earning My Ears
Hi,
I am a pre op male to female transgender person and would like to audition for a female role. Has anyone done this? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks

Hi Cara,
Do you mean audition as in for a face character? You may have difficulty with that (obviously I don't know what you look like), just because Disney is very strict their requirements that the CM must look very much like the character. In terms of fur characters, gender does not matter, only height. Many times, Mickey Mouse's friends are women haha!

If you are meaning "audition" to work at the parks in general, you shouldn't have problems with being transgender. I knew a couple of people who are transgender and present as their correct identity at work every day. Disney has (as far as I know), no issue with people wearing the costume that aligns with their gender identity. I believe Disney's non-discrimination policy does explicate that you can't be discriminated against on that basis.

Thanks for the warm greetings everybody I really appreciate it! But actually I was wanting to audition for a face character (preferably Anna or Elsa). I was thinking if I got my makeup just right I would be able to at least pass the first round of auditions. But I also understand that makeup is not allowed. But if they are not allowed to discriminate, would I still be able to wear my makeup?

Thanks for the warm greetings everybody I really appreciate it! But actually I was wanting to audition for a face character (preferably Anna or Elsa). I was thinking if I got my makeup just right I would be able to at least pass the first round of auditions. But I also understand that makeup is not allowed. But if they are not allowed to discriminate, would I still be able to wear my makeup?

Disney look-a-like auditions are based on type-outs. They'll look at you and determine quickly if you have the right height and facial structure to be Anna or Elsa. I don't think there is a rule against wearing makeup, but typically audition tips are to keep it natural. They are looking to see if your facial characteristics match that of the other girls who are friends with princesses.

Ultimately, Disney has the right to choose only people who resemble the character. Also, I just want to let you know that is is EXTREMELY hard to be chosen as a face character; I have many gorgeous friends who look like princesses to me and were rejected. Also, the vast majority of people are fur characters first and then are eventually approved for face.

Good luck!

Disney look-a-like auditions are based on type-outs. They'll look at you and determine quickly if you have the right height and facial structure to be Anna or Elsa. I don't think there is a rule against wearing makeup, but typically audition tips are to keep it natural. They are looking to see if your facial characteristics match that of the other girls who are friends with princesses.

Ultimately, Disney has the right to choose only people who resemble the character. Also, I just want to let you know that is is EXTREMELY hard to be chosen as a face character; I have many gorgeous friends who look like princesses to me and were rejected. Also, the vast majority of people are fur characters first and then are eventually approved for face.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for all of your help!

Be yourself and you will do great at the audition. I understand that the face character of the Evil Queen from Sleeping Beauty is often a born-male cast member, due to the height needed. Not sure if (or how) that cast member identifies on the LGBT spectrum.

Hi,
I am a pre op male to female transgender person and would like to audition for a female role. Has anyone done this? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
I think that it's awesome that you want to work for Disney! pixiedust:

As long as you look like the character, I mean spot on, you should be considered at the auditions. My only question though is as a face character you also need to speak like the female character. Well, of course not exactly in speech and intonation from the movie. But depending on how long you have been on gender corrective medical aid (hormones), how soft is your voice? Are you naturally high pitched or still have some of the post male puberty voice? I know that the effects can vary a lot from person to person. :dogdance:

I can't imagine they would have an explicit policy against it. But it's a pretty high standard and very few people are actually chosen. You can visit https://disneyauditions.com and see what auditions are coming up and find info on the audition process. The people who do these characters are usually trained performers with backgrounds in acting, dance and theater.

Hi OP and welcome!

It is really going to depend. There is no written policy that I am aware of that would get a transgender MTF from auditioning and possibly being hired for a female face character. The problem is really that you aren't just auditioning to be Anna or Elsa. You are auditioning to match the other 20 people playing one of those characters. So you could be the perfect Elsa but if you don't look like the only ok Elsas currently working then it is a no go. Also the make up you would use would have to be the company okayed make up. That is why they prefer no makeup or only natural looks as they need to see what the base they are working with is.

They are very specific about characters and get to be because it is considered an acting job and not just a regular position. I was told to go out for Merida when she first came out because I matched what they were looking for perfectly. Only one problem I have a tattoo. It isn't even visible in the gown but characters have a strict no tattoo policy. It is even more strict that the regular parks position policy. There is no covering it up because if you trip and the dress moves and suddenly a child sees Anna, Elsa, or Merida who ever with a tattoo the illusion is over. Even with cover up they are worried about it ruining the very expensive costumes. So I know I can work anywhere else on property but could never be a face character.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!